Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

Apparently I just got this game with my new GTX 660 ti. Or rather, I got a small piece of paper with the code to download one - somehow that's just not the same as when I got Morrowind CD-s with my old card.

What is this game anyway? Is it even worth downloading?

Gord

Arcane
Hm, looking at a youtube vid, it seems that they managed to implement PhysX in a way that actually provides some meaningful visual enhancement.
Seems almost on par with Cryostasis (unless it was just a pre-release NVidia video-ad with everything cranked up to 11).

Sigh, I still would rather have that they drop that shit altogether and move on to something that's not exclusive to one brand of GPUs.
Should be possible to do it with OpenCL, as well, shouldn't it?

Disclaimer: I do own NVidia cards myself, so it's not due to butthurt of being left out. I just think it's hurting gamers more than it's helping them.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Sigh, I still would rather have that they drop that shit altogether and move on to something that's not exclusive to one brand of GPUs.
Should be possible to do it with OpenCL, as well, shouldn't it?
Nobody has made a markable physics engine that works on the OpenCL API. Nobody cares.

If people were serious about GPU physics, then Microsoft would include a DirectPhysics in their DirectX API. Unfortunately they're not.

Castanova

Prophet
So, I was planning on playing the Siren (solo)... but I'm hearing a lot of negative reactions to her and also Zero. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject before I start sinking hours into the game?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Not thrilled to hear about the performance issues. Guess it's for the best I wait for a sale, anyway. Isn't it the same engine as the first? Can't imagine it would be that taxing with the fancy effects turned down.

Well of course you'll have performance problems on a shitty old GPU. My 570 runs it flawlessly with everything maxed out.

Castanova I bet you can find similar complaints for all classes, it's a new game so people who can only play by following the cookie-cutter build guides from gamefags are at a loss. Have to admit that the bottom skills of the other two trees of the siren kinda seem meh, but the Motion one could be good? If you're gonna solo the gunzerker or commando might be a better fit tho.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Was in the mood for some dumb shooting and was curious because everyone seemed to love the first game, which looked just lame to me. Intro was fun, so was the starting area and that first boss. I can see this thing being heaps of fun in coop. Looks great actually and runs like a dream.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Returned an eye so far. Haven't actually gotten out of what seems to be the tutorial area. I recall the first game being called a grind fest for munchkins so I'll see how it goes. Enjoying the pretty scenery and dumb shooting atm. Plus that sense of humor I can enjoy. The robot's okayish but I actually grinned at the description I got when I opened that first quest cabinet.

Multi-headed Cow

So how many kill ten rats and collect ten apples quests you have turned in already?
2 or 3, and I'm maybe an hour past where Trash is. Basically immediately after where he turns the eye in he'll get his first few collect X and kill Y quests (Which are optional but what the hell).

And just to reiterate on the performance, it was only PhsyX that was making it so poor. Once I disabled that I gradually turned everything (Except AA and depth of field) on high and it still runs great.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Try turning the physx down a notch, setting it to high is a big performance hog.

Gearbox dun goofed with the dlc/pre-order stuff, you can just go to DLC\POPremierClub\Lic, open the WillowDLC.ini (or create it if it isn't there already) and add this:

Code:
[GoldenKeys]
+SourceId=254
+NumKeys=1

[PromotionalUnlocks]
+UnlockId=1
+UnlockId=2
+UnlockId=3
+UnlockId=4

And you'll get the Special Edition etc. crap.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Keep in mind I played mostly solo. Maybe it's just because I really didn't like Siren compared to Soldier.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Apparently I just got this game with my new GTX 660 ti. Or rather, I got a small piece of paper with the code to download one - somehow that's just not the same as when I got Morrowind CD-s with my old card.

What is this game anyway? Is it even worth downloading?

Nah, just send it my way. :M

Multi-headed Cow

Try turning the physx down a notch, setting it to high is a big performance hog.
Yeah, I tried it on low. Was kinda playable until some heavily populated areas like a bandit camp, then it started getting low FPS enough to make aiming tricksy. My videocard's wimpy enough it's understandable though.
And I guess you could edit yourself infinite golden keys eh? I guess that's good if you wanna give yourself instant access to purples and oranges for whatever reason.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure you'll just find better weapons as you level, anyway.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The chest the golden keys opens will give you epic loot scaled to your level, so yeah you could pretty much just sit there and play the RNG game. But that'd remove the whole point of the game then.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
played it a bit as sniper zero last night, tried doing all optional quests, got royally fucked by the dude riding an ape, not liking sniper zero much so far..... anyhoo, gotta say, i'm very pleasantly surprised at how effing huge it looks and much they improved upon the first one, especially after what they did to duke nukem forever. runs better than the first here too.

also, getting extra heads and skins for having bl1 saves on my machine was neat.

aris

Arcane
I do like the ability of the soldier to put the turrent anywhere you have vision. It does allow, potentially, for much more tactical use of the device. But we will see how it plays.

Multi-headed Cow

Since the "Real" keys are supposed to be pretty rare and uncommon it's not a big deal, plus all your character info is stored client-side so if people wanna cheat they can. The actual preorder guns you get (Gearbox guns) are things you'll replace by level 2, they're completely terrible level 1 newbie guns. The "Vault hunter's relic" you'll use for a bit simply because you won't have a relic that early in the game otherwise, but it only gives you a +5% chance at finding better loot so it's not hugely game breaking either. The biggest preorder reward is the mechromancer class which is due in a month or whatever.

Played up to level... Something. 13th I think. Fought a bunch of robots. Fought cars. Fought jet things. Shot many guns, had some good guns, guns starting to get weak compared to what we're facing. Could do with some upgrades soon. Buddy switched to being a gunzerker since he fucked up his save due some hilarious panic, game reinstalling, and choosing to use cloud save when he shouldn't have since he quit when Steam was down for like 5 minutes. Gunzerker seems way more powerful than siren or assassin, so I respecced to healer to support him more since he's kicking out most of the dakka.
Steam says 9 hours played now which seems a bit high but maybe I was going nuts, but it's quite good. Seems like Borderlands only improved. The weapon variation might be a hair less than I thought previously. There are the large differences between manufacturers and weapon type, but two guns of the same make and model are pretty similar. Seems to be less graphical changes to the models overall. Maybe. I've noticed a few almost identical models with different coloration, which was a rarer occurrence in the first game.

ALSO, enemies are way better in this. Not only more variety, the generic psychos and shit react a bit better. Slightly better at rolling to cover, avoiding fire, and reacting to being shot. And as mentioned there's a bit more variety in the enemies now, like psychos with flamethrowers, WAY more suicide psychos, some big burly guns akimbo guys who berserk and attack EVERYTHING if you shoot their helmets off, etc. Good stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom