Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

Gregz

Arcane
A wise man once said...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Small incremental improvements on a winning formula is the way to go.

If only CryTek took the same approach with Far Cry 2, or 2k with Bioshock, or Blizzervision with Diablo 3...or the hundred other decline infected disasters we've been forced to fap to.
Incorrect. Ubisoft Montreal developed Far Cry 2.

Well...whatever...the game sucked and the original didn't.

I think they know that but their (internal) feeling is: why bother to put in the effort when it already sells?

Yeah, if people were more critical about these things I'm sure Borderlands 3 would fix everything. But people can't stop slobbering over a game that has a few half decent ideas for long enough to talk about any problems it might have.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The CONSTANT re-spawns in Boringlands 1 just killed it for me. I got so sick of that. I did think art wise it was pretty cool. But the GIGANTO CONSOLE-TARD interface was rage inducing (for the PC version).

Multi-headed Cow

Oh yeah, I finally got a rocket launcher and.... AND.... It was actually really good. Unlike Borderlands 1 it was gibbing guys in one hit and killing multiple enemies bunched together with one rocket! AMAZING! I got a Tediore one so when it empties my guy launches the rocket launcher itself which flies off like a rocket, and my buddy got some sorta 3 rocket-at-once firing drunken missile thing. We also got our asses kicked and had a ridiculous fight in a bandit camp with a ton of buzzards which are the jet things. Kinda not digging the siren although I just got the ability to use phaselock to instantly raise my buddy at range, so if he gets downed I can just pop him back up which is handy.

Edit: Constant respawns are definitely back but they seem toned down. There are more respawns while you're IN an area and fighting (Guys stepping out of buildings and shit) but after you clear an area and head toward the exit it seems like the repopulation timer is longer as I haven't run into baddies leaving as much.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The middle tree on the siren kinda blows (support is a nice spec theoretically, but in a game such as this everyone needs to look after themselves, pure support is pure faggotry and half-assing it doesn't really work either), if you want to melt faces definitely put some points into Cataclysm.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played it up to Sanctuary before uninstalling. I can totally see the appeal of the game but it just doesn't work for me. Grinding ain't my thing. Did like the sense of humor and that artstyle is neat. Plus the enviroments really work.

aris

Arcane
I just found out that I really like the sniper tree for zer0. Almost all of the skills give solid buffs throughout, which are noticable, but the last one critical ascensi0n is just insane ballangoo throughtout the roof potentially buffing.

What it does, is that each time you crit with a sniper rifle, you get
+5% damage
+6% critical damage

and get this, this can stack 999 times(!!!!!!!!!!!!). Meaning that when you have critted 999 times, you can potentially get
+4995% damage
+5994% critical damage

if the + damage stack onto the critical hit damage, the damage output is absolutely insane if you reach this level on a headshot (it's absolutely insane also if damage does not stack on crit), and it is probably the most significant one-skill buff in gaming history: You will probably one-shot everything on a headshot, even with a very crappy sniperrifle.

According to the skill description, the stacks will slowly decay if you haven't scored critical hit in awhile. What "slowly" and "awhile" means, I don't know. But hell, even if you never manage to get 999 stacks, only getting 20 is and extremely significant buff: You do twice the regular damage, and much much more critical hit damage. I imagine that if you're good at aiming, that skill can be a MASSIVE incline. At least for the player playing zer0, maybe not so much for the others.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
One of the main things I like about first person shooters are tension, loads of atmosphere and a sort-of semi-realism within the framework the game tries to represent that clicks with me. Boringlands (2) has nothing of these. It's a flashy chaotic mix of akshun RPG, cinematic CoD style FPS and something else. It doesn't know what it wants.

Currently, after finishing Black Mesa, I'm replaying Half Life vanilla for good old sakes, and it's astounding how this 14 year old game still does so many things better (i.e. a cohesive world and level design that sucks you in) than all that cheap "me too" popamole crap released these days. Which is even more painful knowing that it was the very same company that once developed the excellent Half Life expansion pack.

How the mighty have fallen. I don't really expect anything from Aliens: CM other than CoD in Space.

abija

Prophet
Borderlands has both a cohesive world and "semi-realism" within its framework. It's probably the shooter series with most detailed world so far.
You don't like the atmosphere and the fact it doesn't take itself seriously, just say so. But the game knows perfectly what it wants and it's straight up old school shooter gameplay. No fucking clue how you manage to call it "cinematic CoD style FPS".

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
"Most detailed world" in terms of polygons and textures, sure. But it's still a wild mix that doesn't make any sense. Borderlands is the very epitome of what is wrong with modern first-person shooter. It's overladen with stupid incohesive nonsense, has no sense for good pacing, and there's absolutely nothing memorable about it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Currently, after finishing Black Mesa, I'm replaying Half Life vanilla for good old sakes, and it's astounding how this 14 year old game still does so many things better (i.e. a cohesive world and level design that sucks you in) than all that cheap "me too" popamole crap released these days. Which is even more painful knowing that it was the very same company that once developed the excellent Half Life expansion pack.

I was wondering about that. Would you rate the old vanilla higher than the Black Mesa remake based on those playthroughs?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I was wondering about that. Would you rate the old vanilla higher than the Black Mesa remake based on those playthroughs?

Yes, but then again I'm biased.

Black Mesa still is very good on it's own though. But it shows that modernised graphics and physics does not elevate the whole experience to a new level.

Thanks. I'm currently doing a HL2 playthrough (my first actually) and after that I want to give ye olde HL1 a spin. Black Mesa seems okay but I think I'll stick to the original. Now I just need to figure out wether to play the real vanilla of HL1: Source.

One of the main things I like about first person shooters are tension, loads of atmosphere and a sort-of semi-realism within the framework the game tries to represent that clicks with me. Boringlands (2) has nothing of these. It's a flashy chaotic mix of akshun RPG, cinematic CoD style FPS and something else. It doesn't know what it wants.

You're not making any sense. Comparing co-op oriented Diablo-clone translated into FPS with linear single player corridor shooter? It pains you that Gearbox had it in them to create completely different kind of game than they did with HL OP? Why do you even give shit? If it's not your thing then move on. Borderlands knows what it wants just fine, it just isn't something you want. And I don't even know whose ass you pulled that "cinematic COD style" out of, if anything Borderlands is kinda reminscent of old-school style FPS in that it doesn't take itself seriously and you just shoot a lot of stuff in it most of the time. Yet again - this game is a hack and slash with FPS combat.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Borderlands is the very epitome of what is wrong with modern first-person shooter.
borderlands is the epitome of cramped linear map design, grim-dark bullshit atmosphere, lacking weapon variation, heavy handholding, taking yourself way too seriously, bullshit plot which is half-assed commentary on modern day politics and sticky cover that magically makes you invincible?
old-school style FPS

Define that for me please, then I might give you a serious response.
oldschool shooting hordes of enemies shooters full of campy sutff like wolfenstein/doom/dn3d/shadow warrior.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Now I just need to figure out wether to play the real vanilla of HL1: Source.

Both are basically identical, except the HL: Source engine uses nicer water and have those ragdoll physics effects. For the full 100% HL experience though, I recommend the standard HL. It runs just as well on modern systems (+ widescreen and multiplayer support) plus also supporst all the great mods out there, something that the Source version lacks.

Castanova

Prophet
Played a Siren, solo, up to level 7 and really didn't enjoy the game at all. Restarted with the Gunzerker, got to level 6, already much more enjoyable. Still, it's going on the shelf until I'm done with TL2.

old-school style FPS

Define that for me please, then I might give you a serious response.

Except I explained my reasons for why it reminds me of old-school FPS in that very post. I did not actually call Borderlands old-school FPS, you do realize that much? It was only meant to counter your "cinematic COD style" bullshit, a disease that inhabits recent shooters.

oldschool shooting hordes of enemies shooters full of campy sutff like wolfenstein/doom/dn3d/shadow warrior.

And this is why you're a dumbfuck with no taste.

How does pointing out few old wacky shooters make him a dumbfuck with no taste? I hope that by the time you start dishing out them serious responses of yours I'll still be capable of actually taking them seriously.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Except I explained my reasons for why it reminds me of old-school FPS in that very post. I did not actually call Borderlands old-school FPS, you do realize that much? It was only meant to counter your "cinematic COD style" bullshit, a disease that inhabits recent shooters.

But it really is. There are maybe no black border style cutscenes, but that whole thing reeks of the same design school rules and thoughts being applied as all those other console shooters.

How does pointing out few old wacky shooters make him a dumbfuck with no taste? I hope that by the time you start dishing out them serious responses of yours I'll still be capable of actually taking them seriously.

If this was an RPG people would be outraged, because for some reasons, the 'Dex always rages about things. Dumbfuck BioWare RPG = Rage Rage Rage. Dumbfuck FPS = Fun oldschool stuff.

Go figure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom