Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

But it really is. There are maybe no black border style cutscenes, but that whole thing reeks of the same design school rules and thoughts being applied as all those other console shooters.

....hmm. I'll just be agreeing to disagree here, you and I see different things in it.

If this was an RPG people would be outraged, because for some reasons, the 'Dex always rages about things. Dumbfuck BioWare RPG = Rage Rage Rage. Dumbfuck FPS = Fun oldschool stuff.

Go figure.

There's nothing to figure here. Quality of writing/story/setting is way more important for RPGs than for straight up action games. You don't have to be emotionally engaged when you're mass murdering/exploding shit left and right. You can't just lump shit together like that and expect the same standards to apply for every single type of game. Also, there are stupid games that try to appear smart, and that's when I start having problems. Borderlands doesn't do that. It uses its crazy setting to provide you with crazy stuff, be it weapons or enemies or some jokes along the way of you and your buddies killing/looting/leveling up. Hating it for it makes zero sense.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You don't have to be emotionally engaged when you're a mass murdering/exploding shit left and right.

But that's not really what HL is about. "Emotionally engaged" is for women and Quantic Dream fans. HL is, despite it's raw form and age, still quintessentially a masterpiece of FPS design. It really shows that when you put intelligent people together, something awesome can happens(tm). Unlike modern shooters that are being created by some animation film hipster graduates who don't even give a shit about games. These kind of people have infiltrated the games industry in the past 10 years and turned everthing into thoughtless, spectacular firework shit.

aris

Arcane
The only thing borderlands and half-life have in common is that they both share the first person perspective and that the same company once made a expansion for the game. It does not make much sense to compare the two.

I feel dirty when I'm about to type a response to the usual Morgoth stupidity and find that gaudaost has already said what I wanted to.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

aris

Arcane
I'll sample some shit this very midnight, and then i'll tell you what it tastes like.

Gord

Arcane
You don't have to be emotionally engaged when you're a mass murdering/exploding shit left and right.

But that's not really what HL is about.
But it IS what Borderlands is about, so what the fuck are you on about?

Don't know, I didn't come up with that comparison. But it seems I stirred a lot of butthurt up in this thread, so I'll leave you newfags alone here. Enjoy the taste of shit.

Oh the irony...

:troll:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

But that's not really what HL is about.
But it IS what Borderlands is about, so what the fuck are you on about?

Don't know, I didn't come up with that comparison. But it seems I stirred a lot of butthurt up in this thread, so I'll leave you newfags alone here. Enjoy the taste of shit.

:lol:

Multi-headed Cow

Think my biggest complaint thus far is they seem to put far fewer loot chests that contain guns in the game. To the point where it kinda feels like my guns aren't up to snuff but I'm not finding anything better since most guns are coming from quests and the occasional drop. When we DO find a chest it's usually full of fucking shields.

And I realize "Gun quality chests" come in different flavors now like the toilets/outhouses.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You're just upset there's aren't like 5 chests scattered around on Sanctuary rooftops.

The writing is pretty good in this. Well the story is pretty stupid, but the dialog and flavor messages are pretty good and usually funny. My favorite so far was a flaming midget cannibal saying something like 'omg, I smell delicious' as he died.

Monocause

Arcane
Still making my mind about it. I'm close to Sanctuary now, going to save Reiss. I'll probably put a couple more hours into it before deciding whether it's worth it to continue playing or not.

Really dig some of the Handsome Jack's lines though. So far BL2 has got some of the best intentionally juvenile humour I've seen in a video game.

Multi-headed Cow

You're just upset there's aren't like 5 chests scattered around on Sanctuary rooftops.
Hey! I never farmed those. I got my loot through honorable gameplay, not abusing easily placed chests. :obviously:
Besides, those chests were leveled to that area (I'm pretty sure) so unless you were in playthrough 2.5 or just arrived they'd probably only give you shit.

aris

Arcane
Just booted up the game! Plays smoothly will all bells and whistles on, including high physx. And GOD DAMNIT, judging from the first area, this game looks fucking gorgeous!

Multi-headed Cow

Second complaint which isn't particularly the fault of the game and is instead the fault of my computer and ancient white/gray computer case with no ventilation whatsoever, but I believe my computer overheats while playing Borderlands 2. Just turns itself off while playing, which I assume is from hitting the oh shit temperature threshold. Video card gets up to 85C which I wouldn't think would be that point, but I haven't been monitoring the CPU so maybe that's baking.

Also had that happen once in Sleeping Dogs, which again makes me think it's my computer. Probably should buy a modern case at some point with things like fans. Probably doesn't help that the videocard seems to vent heat into the case instead of out the back of the machine.

aris

Arcane
Just booted up the game! Plays smoothly will all bells and whistles on, including high physx. And GOD DAMNIT, judging from the first area, this game looks fucking gorgeous!

What CPU/memory/GPU/Resolution?
Playing on a laptop with 1920x1080n resolution. CPU intel I7 @ 2.04 ghz, GPU AMD radeon HD 6900M. Not bad, but far from the most powerful on the market today. The game seems very well optimized and polished.

JrK

Prophet
Win7 64bit, Intel i7 860, 8Gb ram, ATI 4890 1Gb vram.
Running: windowed 1400x900 (but checked fullscreen at 1080p, similar performance), I run it 60fps capped.

Performance: smooth so far (50+), drops a bit with long vistas, but Borderlands1 actually performed way worse even at long vistas. Game looks fucking great to boot, great improvement over BL1. Protip: actually look at the ice under your feet when you are walking over it, haven't noticed such good looking details in a game yet.

As far as the actual gameplay is concerned: It is a lot like BL1 but with a lot of tiny improvements to all the annoying stuff. You now automatically pick up ammo and moneyz and health lying on the ground (not from containers though :( ). The menu is a lot more responsive but could have used more screen real estate. Ingame options are aplenty and you can adjust fov and HUD size. Gunplay feels VERY improved, recoil is actually a factor (comparable to BF3! <-thinking of m16 to PKP/M240b amount of recoil), guns can get jumpy especially on sustained fire. Note that this is the other way around for Hyperion guns! They start wild but become more controllable as you fire. Most guns have quirks, like revolvers firing as fast as you can click, my machine gun fired explosive bullets, grenades have knockback... Finally, gameplay feels a lot smoother and less consoly. Mouse seems more responsive, aiming is smoother, enemy movement is less jerky (enemies even react to your shots in RAGE-like ways, only thing that game did well), zooming works better.

It unlocked at 1am here, gonna sleep now.

Repressed Homosexual
FPS hack and slash loot games don't work because you don't want to have to backtrack continuously for minutes and minutes just for some meaningless objectives, and even aiming kills the purpose. Someone I know once told me he liked diablo because it kinda put him in a trance, and it necessitates instant actions and results. The genre really doesn't work in first person because of that, it doesn't have the instant reward and compulsiveness of Diablo.

Multi-headed Cow

It doesn't. Fortunately it's a pretty entertaining shooter by itself to keep you playing while you find better loot. Been meeting new enemy types with new behaviors pretty steadily since the beginning of the game (Another improvement from the original, I sound like a broken record but BL2 ended up being almost exactly what I wanted out of a sequel). Most recent baddies being critters that go invisible and skitter around and shoot spines at you (Unless you knock their shields down, then they can't go invisible), and robots that whirl blades which deflect bullets, and robots that turn into a bulldozer and charge you.

Also JrK you could've had better mousing in Borderlands 1 as well, you just needed the fan-made "Borderlands config tool" or whatever it was called. Let you adjust FOV (Since added to BL2), fine tune the graphics (Mostly added to BL2), and disable the horrible mouse smoothing (Seemingly not even in BL2 or disabled by default). Only thing that program did that BL2 didn't was let me disable the black outlines. Could probably disable that if I wanted to dig around in ini files but I've been too lazy to do so since it's mostly just a minor taste issue for me. I thought the original looked a bit better and cleaner without 'em.

Multi-headed Cow

Regarding me saying overheating videocard, yeah probably not that. Just monitored my CPU during some casual Borderlands 2. In relatively little time I was starting to hit 80C. Guess my options at the moment are try disabling vsync and see if capped FPS reduces the stress on the CPU, and blast the everloving hell out of my computer with compressed air tomorrow. Been a while since I did that last, probably dusty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom