Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

Multi-headed Cow

Found a video a guy did of the first 20 minutes at max settings with PhsyX if you wanna see gloriously ridiculous PhsyX blood. Gets even flashier with fancy guns and crap. Goddamn.

Edit: Oh, that video doesn't show the intro cutscene. If you wanna know why Claptrap's digging you a grave, here you go.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
reacting to being shot.
it's nice how much attention to detail they put into that one, with living (haven't shot any robots yet) enemies reacting slower when they are low on dmg, shaking visibly, sometimes stopping and looking around in a panicky way... especially since most players won't even notice it. seems like they took the only good page out of rage's book.

Multi-headed Cow

reacting to being shot.
it's nice how much attention to detail they put into that one, with living (haven't shot any robots yet) enemies reacting slower when they are low on dmg, shaking visibly, sometimes stopping and looking around in a panicky way... especially since most players won't even notice it. seems like they took the only good page out of rage's book.
Yup, they did well by it. Robots obviously don't react as much as living critters to being shot, but you can blow limbs off of them and the robots will press on. Shoot off arms to prevent shooting/grenade throwing, blow off legs and the robot will drag itself around and fire (If it can) from the ground, etc. In fact it seems like going for the limbs on robots is arguably better than going for the critical spot for more damage.

Speaking of "Arguably", this one seems balanced better than the original. All gun types I've seen thus far are useful when you find a good variant of said gun type, unlike the mostly useless non-revolver pistols in the original, and the original rocket launchers. I haven't seen any full rocket launchers in Borderlands 2 yet so I can't say if they've been suitably improved or not.
Well, not ALL rocket launchers were shit in BL1, but most were. Only good ones were the occasional unique that did special shit like shit explosions en-route.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I couldn't stand the first game because the combination of the RPG and the shooter aspect of it felt terrible. If you were two levels below your enemies, though chance, your weapons did nothing but if you were two above you could just stand there laughing at them and shooting them in the face, aside from the world, that felt like an empty MMO, is this one better in that regard? More shooty, less grindy?

Multi-headed Cow

Original wasn't that grindy either, there was basically just that one guy a few levels above you right at the beginning, then once you got the car you could go to some areas that outleveled you and would stomp you.

But yeah, that seems lessened in the sequel. You can tackle a level 4 while level 2 and it's not as ridiculous as Borderlands 1 low level outleveled battles. Haven't had much in the way of areas being outleveled for me, but I'm also not exploring. Just following my quests around.

abija

Prophet
Seems exactly the same in the regard you ask about. And no, it's no different than Borderlands 1 regarding level difference, if the mob has a skull near the level they do a lot more dmg and you barely do any.

abija

Prophet
Keep in mind I played mostly solo. Maybe it's just because I really didn't like Siren compared to Soldier.
Siren is still the strongest char solo or mp and while you can debate phase walk wasn't the coollest special it was the most useful by a large margin.

Suchy

Arcane
So it's a repetitive Diablo clone with guns again. I'll pass.

Lv5Qm.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
played like an hour or so.

exact same shit as boringlands 1. play it if you like that, otherwise pass.

aris

Arcane
So you presumably bough(?) the sequel of a game you thought were boring, played it for about an hour, finishing or playing parts of the intro, during which short time you have no more information about the game, than you could have found by looking at youtube videos and game information, and concludes it's the same shit?

Damn, intelligence in the world is rising.

If it's the same simplistic skill system and level-scaled damage that it sounds like, I'll avoid this. Might hit it at a $10-15 price point. Borderlands 1 was cool at first but the variety was pretty weak and the constant railroading into specifically-leveled areas got old fast.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Yeah, I liked the first hour of boredomlands 1 as well, but it got boooooooooooooooooooooooooring and pointless very fast. I had bought it for few pennies, but I regret it.

Fuck dem Boredomlands 2 then.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
played like an hour or so.

exact same shit as boringlands 1. play it if you like that, otherwise pass.

It does look a bit better and I'm sure there are a few minor improvements but, yes, pretty much why I'm waiting for a big sale. Only reason to jump on now is to have more potential co-op partners since some people might not be playing it six months from now. But that alone isn't going to extort me out of $30+ dollar differential. Especially not with TL2 launching tomorrow.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Keep in mind I played mostly solo. Maybe it's just because I really didn't like Siren compared to Soldier.
Siren is still the strongest char solo or mp and while you can debate phase walk wasn't the coollest special it was the most useful by a large margin.

You can debate that, too. I don't see how there is some empirically undeniable 'best ability' in a game like Borderlands that wasn't particularly challenging.

aris

Arcane
Whether borderlands 2 brings anything new to the table, depends on the eye of the beholder. Is it a ground-shattering revolutionary take on the original, with a large host of new features? Hell no. Does it bring more improvements and new ideas to the table in comparision to, for example, fallout 2 to its predecessor? Hell yeah.

To me, it brings just enough new stuff, that I thought it was worth the buy. Don't know if it's fun yet though, I haven't played it.

You can debate that, too. I don't see how there is some empirically undeniable 'best ability' in a game like Borderlands that wasn't particularly challenging.

I think it's pretty clear that Siren had both the best usable ability (if for nothing other than the speed boost) and the best overall passives available. But you are right, Borderlands doesn't particularly care how strong your class is. Due to the level scaled damage a really well played level 30 Siren isn't tackling anything that a poorly played berserker or w/e couldn't handle at level 31. Which is also one of the most annoying features of Borderlands and most other aRPGs these days, as it's just a cop-out to make sure the developer doesn't need to spend time thinking about balance.

abija

Prophet
It seems SMGs are just as dumb in BL2 as they were in 1.
Oh, and the way you compared classes was in the max lvl run.
And wtf at these devs can't they at least try to make coop less aggravating. Still shared loot and now you don't even have weapon proficiency so everyone wants everything.

Gregz

Arcane
Whether borderlands 2 brings anything new to the table, depends on the eye of the beholder. Is it a ground-shattering revolutionary take on the original, with a large host of new features? Hell no. Does it bring more improvements and new ideas to the table in comparision to, for example, fallout 2 to its predecessor? Hell yeah.

A wise man once said...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Small incremental improvements on a winning formula is the way to go.

If only CryTek took the same approach with Far Cry 2, or 2k with Bioshock, or Blizzervision with Diablo 3...or the hundred other decline infected disasters we've been forced to fap to.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Borderlands is incline? Anyway, I didn't expect much in the way of improvements (although I wanted them) as the first game sold a bajillion copies. I'm sure there will be a Borderlands 3 within two years.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, it was better than Hellgate London, which had a shitty atmosphere and stupid online features. There's still lots of room for improvement though. I can't understand why devs keep fucking up such a simple formula as a loot whoring ARPG. Needs more equipment slots, more variety in items and skills, more freedom to explore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think they know that but their (internal) feeling is: why bother to put in the effort when it already sells?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
A wise man once said...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Small incremental improvements on a winning formula is the way to go.

If only CryTek took the same approach with Far Cry 2, or 2k with Bioshock, or Blizzervision with Diablo 3...or the hundred other decline infected disasters we've been forced to fap to.
Incorrect. Ubisoft Montreal developed Far Cry 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom