Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Boy's first JRPG

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a JRPG where you hold TVs for your housemate whilst they go to the shops?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
WILL play games with teen protagonists whose trials and tribulations are obviously comparable to that of specifically Japanese youth
WILL laugh at utterly ridiculous monkeys who never shut up about adult mature serious jaded DADDY FIGURES they so sorely lack

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
WILL play games with teen protagonists whose trials and tribulations are obviously comparable to that of specifically Japanese youth
WILL laugh at utterly ridiculous monkeys who never shut up about adult mature serious jaded DADDY FIGURES they so sorely lack
I don't even understand what your post is trying to say. Are you also tripping balls?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I don't even understand what your post is trying to say. Are you also tripping balls?
seethe kid

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I also do not understand this post though.

Disciple

Savant
He also said earlier in the thread that he does not want to play 'old' stuff. Asking for a "first JRPG" whilst discarding 90s JRPGs is like asking for an entry into prog rock music but only with albums released after 1975.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
OP already wrote them off in his mind. He made the thread just for attention and to confirm his bias. Dude didn't even play a single JRPG but already knows they're all "faggy" crap because they risk having playable female characters. Even turned down fucking Yakuza because he heard Japanese in the Japanese mafia simulator, lmao (you'd think an ESL wouldn't be threatened by different languages...). If anyone wants a modern manly JRPG, you don't have to look any further than that. Or perhaps even the lastest Final Fantasy. It was made explicitly to cater to players like him and try to flip them over to the dark side of the Codex.

It turned into a pretty good thread anyways, so it was a win in the end. A lot of good recommendations by some prestigious posters were made here!:obviously:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
OP already wrote them off in his mind.
I checked gameplay footage for every recommendation given itt that wasn't 1. old 2. no English dub 3. female/tranny protagonist, and didn't like what I saw, with the possible exception of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Don't get butthurt just because your suggestions are terrible.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
1. new 2. no dub 3. male protagonist
Unfortunately he (feigns that he) 'wants' an English dub, lol. /o\ (Despite not being a native English speaker.)

And he's been offered many male protagonists, but he arbitrarily decided that teenage boys -- so often the protagonist of a jrpg -- are actually all "faggy" or "trannies". :lol: It's just a troll post, with increasingly absurd demands.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Maybe the upcoming Dragon Quest 3 remake will be a good fit, if it ever does come out. It has an adult male protagonist (just turns 18 at the start of the game), no Japanese voice acting, a more western artstyle (I'd say Toriyama's art is more western than most mangakas'), and it's a remake of the all-time classic JRPG.

You should really just play the SNES version of DQ3, though. It hasn't aged a day, it looks great, it has great music, and all the QoL features you could ask for. If that's too old for you then you're just being a fag.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Damn the final dungeon of Chrono Trigger is a drag. I saved game before Queen Zeal hopefully she's cool to fight

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Beaten Chrono Trigger for the first time. Wouldn't say it's a particularly good first jRPG to play, there's some moon logic involved chasing quests which may be off-putting. Probably still more accessible than stuff like FF. It's not very challenging, sure.

Derringer

Prophet
Moon logic quests are guide material, those kinds of things are always designed to get people to discuss the game or sell guides.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
there's some moon logic involved chasing quests which may be off-putting.
Unpopular opinion, especially here, but anything that doesn't just sidestep the matter by having quest markers will likely feel obtuse at one point or another. It only really takes one vague line of dialogue, one slightly inconsistent context-sensitive mechanic, or one piece of seemingly optional content you didn't do earlier to get completely confused.
Personally, I only really got confused at Geno Dome (didn't realise Robo had to be party leader, as earlier you're locked to Chrono as leader and having somebody just in the party was good enough) and getting Chrono back later on (I assumed the tent was just terrible side content.) Other than that it was a smooth ride and everything was self explanatory enough.

I think it's probably the best first JRPG anybody could ask for since it avoids the sins of a lot of other games, like grinding, heavy menuing or random encounters. Each individual part of CT is just good at worst.

Somebody else mentioned the combat being mindless, and somehow in the same breath mentioned Parasite Eve being great? No fucking idea if we played the same Chrono Trigger or the same Parasite Eve, because PE while enjoyable enough, is a game with really braindead combat where there's really nothing to do but move and shoot. CT is elemental rock paper scissors at its most complex, but PE does not even have that or any real build complexity, let alone multiple characters to optimise.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I never got far enough into a DQ game to realize it had a central monster catching mechanic for some of its titles and that non-humans make up your party (Pokemon always seemed crude and limited with its one-on-one thing). That's the one thing I did love about Jap RPGS compared to western ones - the emphasis in some of these games on recruiting monsters/demons into your party, sometimes requiring fairly high skill or its own minigame to do so. Took a look at the english translated DQ5 Bride of the Sky on PS2 (PCSX2) and it looks really nice compared to the crappy little DS port which I originally attempted to play a few years ago but gave up on. I might give it a play-through on PCSX2 but is there anyway to open chests without calling up the menu and "search"? I know you can throw containers to smash them open. These old interfaces where you have to fumble through menus just to open a chest or talk to NPCs kind of sucks rocks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom