Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking news! Max Payne 3 looks like shit!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Goatfuck, I feel like replaying the two games. Especially the second one which is even more awesome (and shorter).

Quilty

Magister
Oh man, I still remember playing MP at my friend's house, it was amazing. The incredible jump in graphical quality and overall inventiveness (slow-mo is lololo now, but back then it was very cool) made us come so hard. I believe my friend had also just upgraded his rig with a 1 ghz processor around that time, which completely blew our minds.

Good times. :love:

Twinkle said:
ur retarded

k

previous games didn't exactly create any standards to uphold.
compared it to modern standards

You need to decide before you flip-flop next time, my friend.

Why is this flip-flopping?

In the first quote, I said that they didn't look very amazing, so MP3 looking ugly isn't exactly franchise rape. In the second quote I clarified that I wasn't comparing them to modern games (because skyway made the "lol 10 years old game looks dated lol" comment), I just don't think it looked that good for the time (thus apparently disagreeing with the majority, which I guess is looked down upon in the Codex...wait, what).

Getting really desperate?

Why? U9 also had requirements that demanded people to buy new cards and more RAM, and Skyway mentioned that as proof of how great it (edit: Max Payne, that is) looked.

If it makes you feel better, pretend there's a "IMO" at the end of my first post

Twinkle

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
Twinkle said:
ur retarded.

k

Nothing to say on topic anymore, I guess. K indeed.

Why is this flip-flopping?

In the first quote, I said that they didn't look very amazing, so MP3 looking ugly isn't exactly franchise rape. In the second quote I clarified that I wasn't comparing them to modern games (because skyway made the "lol 10 years old game looks dated lol" comment), I just don't think it looked that good for the time (thus apparently disagreeing with the majority, which I guess is looked down upon in the Codex...wait, what).

Not liking particular game's graphics is fine, though, I suspect in your case it was due to having crappy PC. Saying it didn't push the envelope back in the day while mentioning Max's facial texture which you don't see that much anyway and posting a single screenshot as a proof is another matter.

Why? U9 also had requirements that demanded people to buy new cards and more RAM, and Skyway mentioned that as proof of how great it looked.

And somehow you missed that part about photorealistic textures, enemy model variety, and fully modeled and calculated bullets (even in modern times some games use sprites + hitscan).

If it makes you feel better, pretend there's a "IMO" at the end of my first post

Whatever.

ChristofferC

Magister
Max Payne was a great game but it did look like kinda shitty even back then. And I had just bought a top of the line computer with a Gf4 Ti 4600 when I played it.

DakaSha

Arcane
i played the first until you get to some level representing is thoughts and other assorted pseudo psychological bullshit.
You were running around on blood lines like a fucking platformer and some baby was crying in the background. it was kinda freaky but it pissed me off so i quit then and prob got high instead

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Max payne was a straight up eyeball fucking back in the day. It included practically every graphical trick of the time and wrapped it up in fucking immaculate art direction.

Yeah, back when Max Payne came out I was still exclusively a console player. I went over to a friend's house and he just got the game for PC.

"The fuck? Why does this look so much better than my games?"

"Well..."

On topic: A cover system? Is there a single action game these days that doesn't have one?

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I just remember the retarded way people held guns in that game. And flat, square environments. Height of graphical prowess indeed.

Also Skyway please define what you think noir is.

J1M

Arcane
I liked the Max Payne movie. I hope they make another one. They did a good job with the visual appearance and I don't know how marky did that thing with his forehead but it was perfect.

ortucis

Prophet
J1M said:
They did a good job with the visual appearance and I don't know how marky did that thing with his forehead but it was perfect.

He looks the same way in every other movie where he is playing "that annoyed/in pain guy". Look at Shooter. But in "The other guys" he is surprisingly calm and funny without that look.

As for the movie, I thought it was ok. Just like Hitman and Doom movie, good action and unlike other movies (escept Silent Hill movie, which is pretty awesome) it actually used the game's plot, probably cause game plot is generic Hollywood shit in the end. Though I guess Hitman movie also took the game plot seriously... sort of.

Flanged

Scholar
Was that a DENIM jacket in first pic? And then he was in shirtsleeves? That's not in the lore! They have removed everything that made Max such a unique and interesting character, worthy of having a Hollywood film made about him.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ChristofferC said:
Max Payne was a great game but it did look like kinda shitty even back then. And I had just bought a top of the line computer with a Gf4 Ti 4600 when I played it.

When Max Payne came out GF2 was top of the line.

Lord Rocket said:
I just remember the retarded way people held guns in that game. And flat, square environments. Height of graphical prowess indeed.

Hate to burst your bubble bro, but everything was square back then.

Also Skyway please define what you think noir is.

Why don't you do a search on TVTropes, they also have references to those old movies so you can see for yourself. I just remember the retarded way shadows were CGI'ed in those movies. And black and white environments. Height of stylish prowess indeed.

DakaSha

Arcane
Trash said:
The influx of celebratring mediocrity, lame stupidity, dull 4chan memes and graphic whorism just pisses me off. Nothing personal.

Funny considering it pissed me off long before i stopped lurking here and actually became a member.
So no.. i don't take it personal really

MCA
Who really gives a shit? First game was shit. Second game was also shit. I never understood the appeal. Both played like shit games and bullet time was boring. Run, dodge, shoot, run, dodge, shoot. Even though combat mechanics weren't terrible, levels design was utterly and forgettably mediocre.

Tomb Raider had more variation and beautiful platformer athletics with some sense of wonder and exploration.

Last TR I played was TR3. Did anything good come out after that? I heard Angel of Darkness was shit and gameplay videos seemed to confirm.

edit: now that I remember, I feel angry about how the series (Tomb Raider) went to shit. They really should have expanded the series with stuff like sneaking, open world approach, character-based minor adventure elements and a more involving story. Series had immense potential for expanding on other genres but in the end, what did we get: a shitty arcade as a throwback to early 90s. Stupid stupid Ubisoft! Goddamn idiots.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I feel you bro. Blade of Darkness was utter shit - you had to swing your sword there. But Quake 3 - this is the real deal compared to that. Run and gun yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom