Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking news! Max Payne 3 looks like shit!

Ladders & Snakes

Educated
According to Rockstar's Sam Houser, they are starting a new chapter of Max's life with the game. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever."

those geniuses!!!

Silellak

Cipher
Ladders & Snakes said:
According to Rockstar's Sam Houser, they are starting a new chapter of Max's life with the game. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever."

those geniuses!!!
"How can we do a dark and gritty reboot of an already dark and gritty franchise?"

Pause.

"Ooooh, I got it! We'll make darker and grittier."

"Fuck yeah."

I'm still waiting for the day when Hollywood (and, by extension, mainstream video game companies) go full-circle and start doing family-friendly, G-rated reboots of formerly dark and gritty franchises.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
MetalCraze said:
It looks like something from 5 years ago.

Do provide examples of games with scope and level of detail of GTA4 that have better or at least equal graphics. I'd like to try them out, cause obviously they will be better optimized too.

That's easy.
GTA4 for XBox360 with its 6 years old hardware.

Try playing it at the same settings on, say, 2007 or 2008 hardware which was nearly twice as powerful as XBox360 at the time. You'll still get lagging FPS.

Anyway.

arma2oa1.jpg

arma2oa2.jpg

arma2oa3.jpg

arma2oa4.jpg

Mid-to-high settings, 2x FSAA. 160-220+ sq. km maps. I can have two to three hundreds of complex AIs calculated all over the map, complete with bullet tracing and deflection that won't break my Phenom II X4 from '08 as much as 30 AIs in GTA4 that disappear into nowhere forever 50m away among its low-poly boxes.

But of course my shitty PC exclusive screenshots suck. I bet requiring future specs GTA4 can offer a graphics quality of much supe-

2.jpg

:yeah:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Actually that MP screenshot was the best GTA4 screenshot I could find in google image search.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/&menu=browser&image_id=1185777&article_id=694111&page=1&show=n

Uhh

They still look the same just with high contrast and dark daytime covering faults?

And why in a superoptimized GTA4 graphics suddenly become inferior in MP?
None of that happens in ArmA2 :smug:

Achilles

Arcane
Both Max Payne games were fantastic, both of them looked great (especially the second one) when they were first released. Stop the bullshits, start the truths.

User was nabbed fit

MetalCraze said:
Actually that MP screenshot was the best GTA4 screenshot I could find in google image search.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/&menu=browser&image_id=1185777&article_id=694111&page=1&show=n

Uhh

They still look the same just with high contrast and dark daytime covering faults?

And why in a superoptimized GTA4 graphics suddenly become inferior in MP?
None of that happens in ArmA2 :smug:

I... I don't even know what to say. Your picture was the BEST one you could find on Google (despite the fact that I proved that that's technically impossible, as it's a MP shot)? Your one and mine... they LOOK THE SAME? Contrast and dark daytime covering faults? What?

Are you sure you didn't get some shit in your eyes, skyway? Surely there is no one on the Codex who even takes you seriously anymore...

MetalCraze

Arcane
4289_screen02.jpg

They all look like this there. Because that's how the game looks.

Remove shadows and it will be GTA SA.

No need to be butthurt about GTA4. The guy asked which other game has a bigger scope and detail and yet run at better FPS and I delivered (a banal shit boring delivery it was though as GTA4 really is heavily outdated visually)

User was nabbed fit

You're an absolute joke. Go ahead, post more subpar screenshots and claim you can't tell the difference with mine. :lol:

skyway said:
The guy asked which other game has a bigger scope and detail and yet run at better FPS and I delivered

No, you didn't. And I quote myself:

"Please do tell us more how an island simulator compares to an engine that simulates a city and everything that goes on in the latter. Hmmm... :hmmm:

If you tried to make a game of the scope of GTA IV run on ARMA's engine, it would shit itself so bad its arse would look like a horror show."

MetalCraze

Arcane
GTA4 engine doesn't simulate a city. It just spawns a few bots 50m away from you and removes them 51m away (or when you turn your head away)

ArmA2 on the other hand does simulate AI all the time across its huge map.

It handles more than 20 GTA4 AIs at once. 20 times more. Without a single glitch or multiplayer lag. Why wouldn't it handle a scope of GTA4 that is even smaller than that of Far Cry?

And when there are suddenly more than 30 AIs in GTA4 spawned it's GTA4 that goes under 30 FPS.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You do realise that ARMA II is both shittily optimised and still as bug riddled as ever? Not even mentioning the fact that it's crap as a singleplayer game.

What gets me though is how you try to make a point by harping on about AI. The AI of ARMA II is shit. Utter unredeemable shit. Always has been and always will be.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
You do realise that ARMA II is both shittily optimised
If you use 5 years old PC then it is as shittily optimised as Crysis.

and still as bug riddled as ever?
Actually right now it's very bug free.

Not even mentioning the fact that it's crap as a singleplayer game.
Just as OFP is.

What gets me though is how you try to make a point by harping on about AI. The AI of ARMA II is shit. Utter unredeemable shit. Always has been and always will be.
Considering that ArmA2 has the most advanced AI shooter games have to offer - what's wrong Trash?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
OFP had a good sp campaign and you know it. ARMA II has bugs coming out of its nose and still runs like crap. And no, ARMA II's AI isn't advanced or great. It's shit. Shit. Shit. You thinking that a cheating aimbot with radar eyes means good AI makes me facepalm once again.

And I promised to stop doing that after reading your utterly retarded Chernobyl baby 'Indies are shit and a disgrace for pc's' schtick. Silly me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ARMA II has bugs coming out of its nose and still runs like crap.

As I've said maybe on 5 years old PC it does. On my 2-3 years old hardware with graphics posted above it runs at acceptable 35+ FPS (and not average 35).

And no, ARMA II's AI isn't advanced or great. It's shit. Shit. Shit. You thinking that a cheating aimbot with radar eyes means good AI makes me facepalm once again.

Aimbots are the dudes in CoD.

Why I think AI in ArmA2 is advanced?

AI team leaders send guys to flank an enemy while attacking from the other side with the rest of the team. AI finds and dynamically uses whatever cover is there. When in combat it doesn't just run around in the open, prefering to move near trees and walls.
When it detects a compound near itself it scouts it for enemies. It also reacts to light and noises. Among other things.

And unlike AI in your typical shooter it doesn't see you through walls or bushes.

I'm pretty sure you will now post me an example of a better AI in a shooter that isn't shit in your opinion.

At the mean time here's my example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UeoRGj1uow
My gawd these dudes just keep running into a wall while I have 5 FPS and my poor monitor is filled with error messages!

It's fucking disgusting when you gush and whine about decline in gaming and when an actual proper PC game comes out you keep repeating the same retarded myths just because a PC game suddenly requires a PC to run, not a personal console.

Silellak

Cipher
It will never cease to amuse me how any "New Game X Does/Will Suck!" thread started by skyway inevitably devolves into a debate about ArmA2. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

MetalCraze

Arcane
Emptier?

SA mostly has a smaller view distance. But other than that it's just a little more polys, a little crispier textures and shaders.

And that's it.

You would think games using tech that is 6 years apart would look really different.

MapMan

Arcane
I just cant understand why people defend gta iv. Many people for some reason wont accept any reasonable arguments. What about this: Compare Mafia 2 and GTA IV. Gta looks way way worse and runs like shit on my rig, while mafia 2 looks really fucking good and runs like a charm (with apex destruction!!!).

Ermm

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Clockwork Knight said:
trym88 said:
But he's right, this game looks utterly uber-megashit

Yeah, but like the guys above said, the previous games didn't exactly create any standards to uphold.

If you weren't a newfag like "guys above" playing games for 3 years tops you'd know that Max Payne was a graphical breakthrough at the time just like Crysis was in 2007

The root of ARMA vs GTA IV GRAPHICZ masturbation thread.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MapMan said:
I just cant understand why people defend gta iv. Many people for some reason wont accept any reasonable arguments. What about this: Compare Mafia 2 and GTA IV. Gta looks way way worse and runs like shit on my rig, while mafia 2 looks really fucking good and runs like a charm (with apex destruction!!!).

But does Mafia 2 have $50 mln marketing budget?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny, I just found my old MP1 and 2 disks the other days and have reinstalled them for a playthrough. The only TPS that I keep coming back to, and shit, though MP is starting to look a bit dated(though still looks ok and more importantly plays great), MP2 still looks pretty damn good. Only thing is that the character models are lower poly and less articulate than we get now and we don't get the lighting we get these days. The locations stand up well, and the textures are still pretty crisp unless you go close. Shows how little we've advanced in 8 years. Compare to what we had graphically 8 years earlier in 1995!

All that doesn't matter though as MP 1 and 2 are a blast to play. Compare to the handful of MP clones such as El Matador, which while not total shit, just felt so damn clunky and shittily paced that playing them to completion was a chore.

MetalCraze said:
MapMan said:

But does Mafia 2 have $50 mln marketing budget?

This. Mafia 2 is no worse than GTA4, but got raped due to the lack of PR. No real sympathy from me as they strayed from the formula in gameplay and epicness of the first one in order to appeal to the consoletard generation so fuck them. It's a shame though as the Mafia 2 engine is fantastic and brilliantly optimised. They'd better make a Hidden and Dangerous 3 in the hardcore vein of the other 2 by way of apology using this engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom