Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Brian Fargo announces Bard's Tale IV at PAX South

Athelas

Arcane
No, that would be the previous attempt at reviving Bard's Tale.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Called it being Bard's Tale but I have no idea what it's going to look/play like... 1st person? turn/phased-based? innovation?! Need moar informationnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Says the man who gave $500 to Starbound!

Yes, and I also pledged $1,000 to Wasteland 2. I knew then that the game ultimately might not meet expectations, and as it turned out, it didn't. That's the nature of early-development crowdfunding. When a celebrity developer has a history of fucking up their crowdfunded games, though, the decision of whether or not to back their projects in the future is made for me.

As ad hominems go, you should really find something more effective.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I think Grimrock set the bar they have to beat. If it's just dungeon crawling without roleplaying activities, it will be very tough. Grimrock was pretty polished and very good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, and I also pledged $1,000 to Wasteland 2. I knew then that the game ultimately might not meet expectations, and as it turned out, it didn't. That's the nature of early-development crowdfunding. When a celebrity developer has a history of fucking up their crowdfunded games, though, the decision of whether or not to back their projects in the future is made for me.

As ad hominems go, you should really find something more effective.
That wasn't an ad hominem. An ad hominem would be me calling you a creepy dude who ran Ogrish. Hmmm, wait no that's also another accurate descriptive.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That wasn't an ad hominem. An ad hominem would be me calling you a creepy dude who ran Ogrish. Hmmm, wait no that's also another accurate descriptive.

Yes, it was. In fact, it was the epitome of an ad hominem attack. Rather than addressing the argument—i.e., that Wasteland 2 is at best "good for what it is" and that this is reason enough to be circumspect with regard to Bard's Tale IV's prospects—you mocked me for taking a risk that didn't pan out.

Well, I took a risk on Fargo, too, and it didn't pan out, either. By your own logic, you've made a mockery of yourself by suggesting that anyone should continue to support Fargo, hoping he won't fuck up again.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
"There will be plenty of combat diversity and depth," Fargo said. "You look at something like Hearthstone[...]"

doesnt_make_any_sensee1u41.gif

Isn't Hearthstone M:TG for the mentally challenged?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Having both sides go at once is kind of a tough nut to crack. It could just be as simple as giving melee characters retaliation and spellcasters counterspell. I have no idea how Hearthstone is a relevant comparison though, as even the simplest CCG has more advanced combat than most blobbers. The true strength of a blobber is party composition, exploration, and puzzle solving.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yes, it was. In fact, it was the epitome of an ad hominem attack. Rather than addressing the argument—i.e., that Wasteland 2 is at best "good for what it is" and that this is reason enough to be circumspect with regard to Bard's Tale IV's prospects—you mocked me for taking a risk that didn't pan out.

Well, I took a risk on Fargo, too, and it didn't pan out, either. By your own logic, you've made a mockery of yourself by suggesting that anyone should continue to support Fargo, hoping he won't fuck up again.
Let's be friends.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My guess is that their will be 4 to 6 portraits representing the party members, and each portrait will have 1 or 2 abilities to choose from on a given phase. These abilities will be like the cards in a deck and will replace a traditional menu system. Sounds a bit IOSish to me...

Zeronet

Learned
Well that's disappointing. I won't be backing, Wasteland 2 isn't even finished in my book.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Interesting to see how much they will manage to get for this, not nearly enough as torment and wl2, but it will probably be a smaller scale project as well?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But then he couldn't claim to be innovative. Of course, it could be something else than phase-based.
Yeah ... I read that again ...

But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once
... and to me, that kind of implies "good team attacks all at once, then evil team attacks all at once". Maybe there are combo abilities like in Chrono Trigger that would make that not worthless.

Athelas

Arcane
I think he's simply referring to both sides: player vs enemy teams attacking at the same. Would be interesting if there was movement involved, though if it's a blobber, there likely won't be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom