Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Brink sucks

Antihero

Liturgist
CrimsonAngel said:
Antihero said:
Let me ask the (possibly wrong) forum this question: is it anything like ET:QW only without vehicles where a few ace air pilots can waste your time needing almost dedicated antiaircraft infantry? It's not like ET:QW didn't have grenade spam from medcrates, but is this now worse?

Been looking for something to replace the occasional Nexuiz minstagib, but Brink didn't really grab me the way W:ET or ET:QW did. Hopefully it wouldn't be "like every other FPS", sprayin' and prayin'.

Doesn't seem like they have a real demo either... might be inclined to see if it's even worth getting then. Never really cared to read or watch all their hype about it.

Have you tried Battlefield bad Company.
Air Aces are not a huge problem in that game and the TANKS are powerfully, but not OMG IMB.

Nope, but I'm just thinking of ET:QW where you had a few master pilots who could make your team's life hell flying the tormentor or anansi, and you could barely shoot them out of the sky at close range even - they just almost always were able to evade it. It really was just a handful of people at that level, but they played way too much.

Zed said:

Anyway, the game "journalists" are as useless as ever...

Joystiq said:
Baw! I hated how in ETQW how my team bitched if we were all infiltrators and spammed people with drones from hiding, where the objective requires at least one solider. What did I get my silent footsteps upgrade for then! Deploy your own damn radar!

IGN said:
We feel smart talking about SMART but not saying anything.

GamePro said:
I play CoD "hardcore" mode, because it's hardcore to randomly one-shot kill people! That's true skill.

Destructoid said:
What's the difference between attackers and defenders?

Guardian said:
News alert: MP team and objective based shooters are better played online!

Multi-headed Cow

I would recommend a different game. A bold game. A bro game. A bold bro game.
pyroeyess.png

Exmit

Scholar
Was waiting for this thread.

This 'smart' button is some big bullshit.

Instead of giving 2 buttons for people to be able to slide and jump + grab during movement manualy if they realy had to add this bs in first place, they make this shit that does it all for you.

2011 - year of awesome buttons.

MCA
Bring me back RTCW MP, dammit! Or RTCW:ET!

The only multiplayer game I played where teamwork worked by default without classes and where vehicles made a dramatic change without diluting the game, is Power Struggle in Crysis.

And then they removed Power Struggle for Crysis 2.

Destroid

Arcane
Power struggle just seemed like claymores, claymores everywhere when I played over the free weekend (week? I forget). But I guess that could have been due to my lack of experience?

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
RTCW was awesome except for the fact that medics were more like 'regenerating dude with a weapon as good as any that can resurrect his allies and run faster than anyone else.'

Not that it was a huge problem for me, seeing as I played medic more or less 100% of the time.

MCA
Never found that to be an issue.

My preferred class was Engineer. It was especially fun to troll the other team by planting a dynamite at a target, immediately defusing it and laying in wait. Often timing a grenade for one of them to jump in to the defused grenade.

Anyone up for a RTCW - Beach?

Destroid said:
Power struggle just seemed like claymores, claymores everywhere when I played over the free weekend (week? I forget). But I guess that could have been due to my lack of experience?

You get to expect it at every place feasible for the other team to plant and they are not hard to spot except when they are planted in vegetation and you can shoot them. And with maps that open and buildings with several entries, I have never thought of it as an annoyance. Engagement in close combat certainly rewards caution and tact instead of Ramboing like a moron.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So this game rewards you with 1000xp just for watching the tutorial video :retarded:
:rage:

I think my IQ just dropped 10 points,not sure if it's the alchohol though

Antihero

Liturgist
Azalin said:
So this game rewards you with 1000xp just for watching the tutorial video :retarded:

Supposedly one of Splash Damage's issues with ETQW was with people who couldn't or wouldn't learn how to actually play the game. I doubt 1000 XP has a huge impact on anything that meaningful, but I've been wrong before.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Antihero said:
Supposedly one of Splash Damage's issues with ETQW was with people who couldn't or wouldn't learn how to actually play the game.

Why should people bother learning basic concepts about the product they paid for if the product doesn't encourage them to? It's like expecting people to pick up a slice of and chew the pizza they just purchased without getting a small chocolate biscuit each time!

Multi-headed Cow

Antihero said:
Azalin said:

Supposedly one of Splash Damage's issues with ETQW was with people who couldn't or wouldn't learn how to actually play the game. I doubt 1000 XP has a huge impact on anything that meaningful, but I've been wrong before.
From what I've seen you'll typically get a few thousand XP (Somewhere in the range of 2k to 6k) per game you play, so not much of an impact at all.

Antihero

Liturgist
sgc_meltdown said:
Antihero said:
Supposedly one of Splash Damage's issues with ETQW was with people who couldn't or wouldn't learn how to actually play the game.

Why should people bother learning basic concepts about the product they paid for if the product doesn't encourage them to? It's like expecting people to pick up a slice of and chew the pizza they just purchased without getting a small chocolate biscuit each time!

Maybe it's why they seem to have no demo (or public beta) this time around... or maybe that's their new overlord's doing.

Destroid said:
They are in trouble if their target is derpers who couldn't work out how to play ET:QW.

Or they just didn't want another repeat of some people expecting one play style and getting another - but it's not like I've even played the game, so far all I know it teaches you the forgotten arts of press MOUSE1 to fire and R to reload.

I don't know what sites for ETQW are even up anymore, but there was more than just learning the basics involved in order to be effective. Nothing requiring brain surgery either, mind you.

Couldn't be worse than whatever ETQW patch introduced voice over tutorials that were supposed to only default to when you played offline. So many people asking how to turn it off...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Bring me back RTCW MP, dammit!
yes
Or RTCW:ET!
Oh, no.

RTCW was such a great game. I was so good at it. Medic was a little OP as long as they had an ammo supply, but I was VENOM SOLDAT and I was damn good at it even on 56k The only real stupid shit was how absurdly OP panzerfausts were on higher population servers. I mean, honestly the game was best at a like 6v6 level, but sometimes you just wanted to play on 32v32 servers.

mp_depot. Oh, I remember you, 64 player mp_depot. I don't remember what the server's name was, something about penguins (Happy Penguin I think?) and the admin's name was shitkicker, and I spent so much of my jr high days on that server. That's where I transformed from ^3C^1omrad^3E ^2C^4hille^4D (I hope I remember my quake engine color tags right) to KINGCOMRADE

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The thing a lot of big Objective based games mess up is the lack of rewards for team play aspects.

IN Battlefield Badcompany 2 you get a TON of points for random stuff.
Shoot a guy you get points, Hit a guy that some one else kills , Spot a target, Target you spotted get shot and so on will all get you points.

SO every thing you do gives you EXP to the class you are playing that will help you unlock more and better weapons.

Section 8 also dose this pretty well.
What ever you do gives you money so you can buy things to use like Turrets to TANKS.

This way even if you are not the best player you still get rewarded for team play.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
CrimsonAngel said:
IN Battlefield Badcompany 2 you get a TON of points for random stuff.
Shoot a guy you get points, Hit a guy that some one else kills , Spot a target, Target you spotted get shot and so on will all get you points.

SO every thing you do gives you EXP to the class you are playing that will help you unlock more and better weapons.
Which explains why playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 is an exercise in tactics, coordination, gracefully-executed plans and group accomplishment, bringing about success for the whole team as a result of your own smart play.

Oh, except it's not, and playing it is an exercise in frustration. I swear, it's either your team goes all snipers and refuses to do anything other than sit on a hillside and get shot in the face by assault rifles from half a kilometre away, or you get put on some godly team who are able to win the match five seconds after it starts because they know how to fly the helicopters and there is no reliable counter to them. Fuck, just getting your team to take objectives is a triumph.

No, it really has to do with this:
Azalin said:
And by that, I mean that people are just fucking stupid, don't know how to play with others and can't be arsed, and are more interested in personal accomplishment than working with their team even though they are playing a team-based game. Try making a team-based shooter which features anything more complex than "shoot the other guys" (i.e. Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, which admittedly are great games for what they are), and the frothing masses get confused. Games like Call of Duty and Halo aren't popular because they are well-balanced games that reward teamwork and intelligence, they're popular because they're autofellatio simulators.

This is the true state of the games industry. You think this problem only affects strategy titles, RPGs etc.? Fuck no. Anything even remotely more difficult to grasp than "point gun, shoot gun" is pretty much destined to failure, or limited to a small niche of players. People want to be entertained in short bursts, they want novelty, they want to feel like a badass without exerting effort. This used to be limited to single-player games, where everything was built around the player. Now, it's crept into multiplayer, because people have realised that making other players your bitch is more fun than making an AI character your bitch. The result? Standards are getting lower and lower, we don't have any serious competitive multiplayer games being made, and even previously complex titles like Battlefield are being trimmed down further and further in the name of catering to the "I paid my $60, give me a blowjob" market.

In some senses I have to respect Brink and Splash Damage. Launching a new intellectual property with a unique and accomplished aesthetic, especially in the woefully bland console shooter market, is itself a huge step forward. Some of its game concepts, like the parkour, are ambituous, even if not very well implemented. If anything it strikes me very much as a title a lot of people poured their hearts and souls into, that was gradually worn down into the awkward, "have it both ways" title that ended up on store shelves. There's no real excuse for a bad game in that there's always going to be someone to blame, but here it feels a lot less like the fault of the developer and more the fault of the market and its existing expectations of what shooters have to be.

MCA
My beef with ET:QW was that it was as bland and uninspiring as it gets. Sandboxy shit maps with shit weapons used by two shittier factions of a shitty IP. Fucking colonial marines with their 20th century analogues for weapons and fucking Protoss with wacko... shit. All the interior environments were spacious consolish places to accomodate for the bunny hopping morons.

I would have expected it to tank but it PR campaign was pretty strong.

In some senses I have to respect Brink and Splash Damage. Launching a new intellectual property with a unique and accomplished aesthetic, especially in the woefully bland console shooter market, is itself a huge step forward. Some of its game concepts, like the parkour, are ambituous, even if not very well implemented. If anything it strikes me very much as a title a lot of people poured their hearts and souls into, that was gradually worn down into the awkward, "have it both ways" title that ended up on store shelves. There's no real excuse for a bad game in that there's always going to be someone to blame, but here it feels a lot less like the fault of the developer and more the fault of the market and its existing expectations of what shooters have to be.

I find the art direction in Brink utter shit, presentation too arcady despite less-than-arcady mechanics and the basic concept forced and retarded, but I agree it seems like the game is more or less what they truly wanted to make. But I disagree about caving in to market demands.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
BF2149 for teh win. Loved sniping, loved blasting away, loved raining down death from above, loved getting in a big bad mech and fucking shit up and in the end, really enjoyed wiping out the opponent as a commander. Best multiplayer experience I ever had.

So many good moments. :sniff:

Multi-headed Cow

For some retarded as hell reason I really want to try this. Not sure why, exactly.

Got a dude who will trade me a copy for $40 worth of games in return, which would end up costing me $28 due to a coupon. $30 sounds more reasonable, but damned if I'm not trying to talk myself out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom