Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

Modron

Arcane
You hate science, don't you?

Ivan

Arcane
But but but you could also just sell the box on electronic bay and rake in the money. at least that's what I intend to do

same thing I did with inexile's tin can

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You had to give $100 on KS to get a box. And DF just revealed that they will sell the box on retail as well, surely for far less than $100.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck, first Schafer cannot into math and now he cannot into science either.
It is a fantasy game and you are bitching about pH not working like in real life? Haters like you who just have to nitpick on everything just to find another reason to hate the game are ridiculous.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is a fantasy game and you are bitching about pH not working like in real life? Haters like you who just have to nitpick on everything just to find another reason to hate the game are ridiculous.
Fanbois like you are even more ridiculous.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I just found this email in my spam folder:

Aloha!

Broken Age is now complete! The Double Fine Adventure that we’ve all been on together is at and end, and your patience and kindness will now be rewarded. Let the fun times commence!

We’re giving you access to Broken Age in its fully completed glory 24 hours before the rest of the world (Your code can be found below). Feel free to stream or talk about the game to your heart’s content - just please, please be considerate about spoiling other people, warn people, use spoiler tags where necessary, etc.

Here is your code: [redacted]

Thank you so much for backing, we hope you enjoy the game!

Love from,

Double Fine

Astral Rag

Arcane
does act 1 on steam auto update with act 2?

How to unlock Broken Age Act 2 on Steam

Install Broken Age.
Right click on Broken Age and select 'Properties'
Click on the 'Betas' tab
Enter your code and select 'Check Code'
Select the branch 'Beta - Beta branch'
Wait for the game to download
Play the game!

Redlands

Arcane
Fuck, first Schafer cannot into math and now he cannot into science either.

It's a fantasy game, but instead of coming up with a fantasy metric called something else that works the way they need it to for the puzzle to be that simple, they used a real metric that doesn't work that way, meaning:
  • if you do know how pH works it's incredibly counterintuitive, because you're trying to neutralize something that is 100% hydrogen cations by... adding in MORE acid (and something that is more than 100% hydrogen cations!); and
  • if you don't know how pH works, you might come out of this not only not knowing how pH works (thereby meaning Double Fine missed a good educational opportunity), but they've actually made your knowledge about it worse!
This is why I asked for clarity: if the game doesn't actually call the potions "pH 3" and "pH -2" that's one thing, then it's just Bubbles being retarded fitting into the Broken Age target demographic. "Raises pH by 3" and "lowers pH by 2" is okay. But if they are literally labelled "pH 3" and "pH -2" then holy shit that's like some fucking educationally damaging shit right there.

otsego

Cipher
I haven't played act 2 yet, but I've worked in a scientific capacity for years, and if this simple 1+1=2 logic is all that Tim could come up with in regards of
pH, then... We really should question if he really was the person behind all of the puzzles we loved in monkey island, dott, etc..

Its retarded. Like playing a game we would have in the educational computer labs in elementary school.

And I paid $165 for this shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus Christ you guys are retarded. Who the fuck cares what pH means in in adventure game? It is not for educational purposes, it just gaves a frame to a puzzle. I understand that you want to hate on the game, but come up with something which is legitimately bad.

Or should I complain about the sword fight in Monkey Island where you had to outtalk the enemy to win? Because real sword fighting is not like that you know!

buzz

Arcane
In Day of the Tentacle, the time machine is a car powered by a diamond.

THAT'S NOT HOW DIAMONDS WORK!! 0/10 SHITTIEST GAME EVER MADE!

Astral Rag

Arcane
That's nothing, I lost both of my parents and an uncle because of that "hilarious" MI1 Grog recipe, thanks Tim!

You just can't trust those devious adventure games.

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Rock Paper Shotgun review:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/27/broken-age-act-2-review/#more-281815

IGN Review:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/27/broken-age-act-2-review

This quote from the RPS review got my attention:

(before Double Fine produced a walkthrough for frustrated reviewers),

Isn't that a bit like giving someone an autoaim script or god mode on an FPS for review? I can understand perhaps throwing a few hints at reviewers (deadlines are deadlines and you want them to finish the entire game!) - but a walkthrough? Surely that would change the entire core play experience for an adventure game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the end, Broken Age Act 2 is a retreading of Act 1, with limited new aspects, convoluted and deeply flawed puzzles, and seemingly no learned lessons in the last year’s extra development. It’s still a tablet game awkwardly placed on PC, with little extraneous detail to interact with in any scene, no ability to “look at” anything and as such losing so much of what makes graphic adventures so endearing, and this time out, the addition of being an extended anti-climax.

Broken Age Act 1 was often frustrating, but extraordinarily charming. Two endearing leads, and this apparent interest in deeply exploring the awkwardness and challenges of the transition from childhood to adulthood, of becoming who you are and not who your parents intended you to be. Act 2 feels like a betrayal of that potential. It just unambitiously rolls toward its nothing conclusion, that perhaps answers narrative questions about why there was a monster/ship (in a clumsy way), but fails to address anything that actually mattered about the characters themselves.

Bah. That’s what I say. Bah. I had hoped that Act 2 would be the addressing of Act 1’s shortcomings, and deliver on its strengths, what had seemed so heartfelt and novel. Instead it’s an incredibly pretty, superbly voice acted, crap adventure game.

Ouch.

otsego

Cipher
Jesus Christ you guys are retarded. Who the fuck cares what pH means in in adventure game? It is not for educational purposes, it just gaves a frame to a puzzle. I understand that you want to hate on the game, but come up with something which is legitimately bad.

Or should I complain about the sword fight in Monkey Island where you had to outtalk the enemy to win? Because real sword fighting is not like that you know!

JC, I've agreed with you for ages even though a lot of Codexers rag on you for being Matt and having strange opinions.

But dude, you're wrong here. In response to how child-like Act 1's puzzles were, DF has tried to simulate complexity of their puzzles by added the terms 'pH' to them, while being nothing more than primary school math problems. It's hilarious.
Old school puzzles could be pretty lame, that's agreed and understood. But to proclaim this is the new shit (tm) based on old-school mechanics, while borrowing pre-school mechanics... well...

buzz

Arcane
I like how you talk about what the pH puzzle was meant to convey without actually playing the game yourself.

Maybe Tim just wanted a science-y term for whatever bullshit sci-fi puzzle he wanted to make. Nothing wrong with that. It could've been a puzzle about mixing H20 with Proteins to obtain EXPLOSIONS, nobody gives a shit. There's plenty of other things to criticize about Broken Age, lack of autism is not one of them.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
before Double Fine produced a walkthrough for frustrated reviewers

convoluted and deeply flawed puzzles

negotiating obfuscated puzzles solved in the arbitrary order of the designer’s mind

As I said, casual butthurt imminent. Vella's puzzles are much better than in Act 1, and still nowhere near Monkey Island 2-levels of complexity.

The PC build still behaves exactly as if it were on a tablet, having to drag items from your inventory and let go of them over objects, as if guiding them with your finger. Its graphics options are still a confusing mess.

RPS cannot into options menu.

The cursor is still clumsy, enormous – again as if for a tablet, not a PC – and so you’ll still mis-click conversation options all the damn time.

Not unless you're legally blind.

Yikes. RPS actually tearing a DF fine a new one? Either it's indeed spectacularly bad or riffing on Tim suddenly became the hip thing.

The latter. Nothing in Act 2 is worse than Act 1.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom