Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Sword is fast losing its charm.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Broken Sword has beautiful art, some solid puzzles, and a somewhat unusual mechanic that I really liked and imitated in Primordia (having tools that are useful over and over again, rather than just once). But it's a strange game. Thinking back, I have a hard time say whether it's a slapstick farce or a serious game. Like, I just can't remember. Part of my brain recalls it as not too far off from Gabriel Knight; but part of me remembers that the main villain dresses up like a clown or mime or something and tries to kill someone with an exploding accordion ...?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Did anybody play Serpent's curse? AKA broken sword 5? supposedly good reviews

Yes, the first half I found very good. It's very nostalgic for the original game but still introduces some interesting new characters. Some fantastic backdrops and memorable art.

The second half is a shit show and seems like it was just kicked out the door. Couldn't find anything to like about it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Yes, the first half I found very good. It's very nostalgic for the original game but still introduces some interesting new characters. Some fantastic backdrops and memorable art.

The second half is a shit show and seems like it was just kicked out the door. Couldn't find anything to like about it.

Thanks for the update. that's abit disappointing to hear. So the second half has nothing redeeming about it? :(

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I think Broken Sword 1 does the 'adventure' in 'adventure game' better than just about any game I can think of. It certainly does it well enough to get me to enjoy BS2 nearly as much, regardless of the sequel's numerous shortcomings.
I love them both, but 2 for some reason a tiny bit more. By far, my favourite adventure games. I did not like the remake at all though.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

Thanks for the update. that's abit disappointing to hear. So the second half has nothing redeeming about it? :(

I didn't think so but the first half is perfectly enjoyable on its own as a very well made adventure game and is kind of a must play for anybody who loved the first one.

I imagine they burnt out making part one and just had nothing left for the latter part.

Don't let me put you off trying it, I just have the disappointment of part 2 coming out having anticipated the shit out of it. Curse of episodic games.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember Part 2 being pretty lazy compared to 1, and the ending is retarded, but otherwise I don't think I was particularly angry about it. And it has at least one funny bit when you use rat diplomacy on Putin's gardener while hanging from a cableway car.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Yeah, I'd almost say the first half is an homage to 1 and the second half is an homage to 2, specificaly its general lack of charm and over-reliance on the supernatural.

m_s0

Arcane
Yeah, I'd almost say the first half is an homage to 1 and the second half is an homage to 2, specificaly its general lack of charm and over-reliance on the supernatural.
Speaking of, are there any solid recent adventure games with a supernatural twist? There's a gaping Gabriel Knight-shaped void in my life, and I'm really itching for something to fill it.

Falksi

Arcane
I played the Broken Sword for GBA some time ago, didn't find it very interesting. Gave up as soon as I realized I was just walking around and clicking on stuff expecting an event to happen. Maybe it gets better later, but iirc the story wasn't that interesting either.

/useless input
I just tried playing it for the first time. This game is the literal walking and clicking simulator with an uninteresting story. An hour later I was bored enough to uninstall it. I don't understand the praise.

Before you tell me that you can say that about every adventure / PnC game - I finished The Longest Journey a few days ago and it was a wholesome, deep experience that I absolutely loved.

It's been 20 odd years since I played it, but that pretty much sums it up for me.

I played it all the way up to a stupid goat puzzle, which I later found out how to solve via a guide, but the solution seemed so obscure that I thought "fuck it" and ragged the game in anyway.

Alter Sack

Magister
Well, regarding your playthrough you seem to have enjoyed yourself quite a bit. :outrage:

I enjoyed Unavowed around launch (while suffering through sleep-deprivation due to my newborn), but I replayed it last year and found it severely lacking. If all you want is a D-tier Urban Fantasy story it will satisfy, but it’s not a good adventure game and it’s definitely no Gabriel Knight.

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Speaking of, are there any solid recent adventure games with a supernatural twist? There's a gaping Gabriel Knight-shaped void in my life, and I'm really itching for something to fill it.

Well, depends on what you consider recent but have you played Gray Matter? Jane Jensen writing and pretty good classic adventure gameplay.

m_s0

Arcane
Yeah, I should have added I'm familiar with the obvious suggestions. I'm hoping for some deeper cuts or games I missed the past few years, but I'm not exactly expecting any to exist...
I enjoyed Unavowed around launch (while suffering through sleep-deprivation due to my newborn), but I replayed it last year and found it severely lacking. If all you want is a D-tier Urban Fantasy story it will satisfy, but it’s not a good adventure game and it’s definitely no Gabriel Knight.
Wadjet isn't scratching my itch, unfortunately. Something about that particular kind of urban fantasy makes me want to take a shower afterwards. Like playing in a sandbox that's been pissed in for several generations.

Yeah, I should have added I'm familiar with the obvious suggestions. I'm hoping for some deeper cuts or games I missed the past few years, but I'm not exactly expecting any to exist...
Wadjet isn't scratching my itch, unfortunately. Something about that particular kind of urban fantasy makes me want to take a shower afterwards. Like playing in a sandbox that's been pissed in for several generations.

I haven't played it myself, but Gibbous got a pretty good reaction around here from what I've seen. I believe it has supernatural (Lovecraftian) elements, but it's also comedic in nature, so that might be a gamebreaker.

m_s0

Arcane
I'm allergic to that kind of humour, assuming what's presented on its Steam page is representative. It might be worth a look, though, and I did miss it, so thanks!

I'm allergic to that kind of humour, assuming what's presented on its Steam page is representative. It might be worth a look, though, and I did miss it, so thanks!
Oh, also Return of the Obra Dinn is one of the best "adventure games" I've ever played, and meets your main criterion (saying more would go into spoiler territory, arguably said too much already). It's not a point and click, and it's historical not modern, so again the comparison to Gabriel Knight is inelegant, but the gameplay revolves around solving puzzles (some of which are quite devious) and exploring the story with zero combat (and no fail states, again unlike GK). If you haven't played it already I cannot recommend it enough. Go in as blind as you can; the Steam trailer doesn't spoil anything major, but the reviews and comments definitely do.

m_s0

Arcane
RotOD is on my radar/list and yes: I've been trying to keep myself in the dark until I play it. Thanks for the reminder - this might finally be the time.

Maxie

I've played the sequel before the original game, and I assume this in part may explain why I prefer it to the more commonly revered original, but the fanciful notion of gathering the obsidian stones from around the world, and the sheer fancy of stopping the apocalypse which isn't a bunch of Templars doing Templar stuff, that stuff still manages to entice me after so many years

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
I've played the sequel before the original game, and I assume this in part may explain why I prefer it to the more commonly revered original, but the fanciful notion of gathering the obsidian stones from around the world, and the sheer fancy of stopping the apocalypse which isn't a bunch of Templars doing Templar stuff, that stuff still manages to entice me after so many years

It takes a really... special... "person" to prefer Emily Ketch murder mystery hour to unravelling a global neo-templar conspiracy while trying and failing to gain entry to a incomprehensibly frigid french woman's pants.

Maxie

It takes a really... special... "person" to prefer Emily Ketch murder mystery hour to unravelling a global neo-templar conspiracy while trying and failing to gain entry to a incomprehensibly frigid french woman's pants.
grimdarkness ruins cartoony point & clicks. I prefer fun adventures

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

grimdarkness ruins cartoony point & clicks. I prefer fun adventures

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom