Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Broken Sword The Serpent's Curse

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Cool, cool. Playing it now. Managed to do the music puzzle pretty quickly with some google help on music notes. Thankfully it's not quite the "listen to this song and reproduce it!" kind of music puzzle.

Edit:
OK... so I'm done. Somewhat disappointing in the ending.. but eh.

Really liked the puzzle to decipher the tabula. Very nice. The symbol for South gave me some headaches, though. [/quote]

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, I just finished this.

- No 1920x1080 support? Really?
- The plot is Absolutely Retarded (tm). Intentionally or not, it's like a bad adventure game self-parody. Convincing a British chav to turn against a certain someone with "philosophical" "arguments" about free will vs. determinism was merely the last nail in the plot's coffin.
- The presentation is charming, and the atmosphere is mostly okay. A lot of the dialogue and flavor text is decent to good.
- The puzzles are either very easy or nonsensical. (I'm looking at you, strawberry jam cockroach.) The translation puzzle was cool, though, and probably the only highlight of this game for me.

Overall, I really wanted to like the game but it's just a huge disappointment. Was BS1 this bad, too? I'd need to replay it to check. Any half-decent Daedalic game blows this mediocrity out of the water.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, good question about BS1 (and 2). I was also thinking if the first two games went so far into the.. let's say fantasy realm. I don't think they did because when I played BS3 which had a real dragon I thought it was fucking retarded.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Convincing a British chav to turn against a certain someone with "philosophical" "arguments" about free will vs. determinism was merely the last nail in the plot's coffin.

I found it hilarious, you suck +M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Which serves to remind me about one of the worst things about this game - it tries to be funny, but it never is. The only moment that made me smile was the first goat encounter; the second one was already one too many.

Wizfall

Cipher
Overall, I really wanted to like the game but it's just a huge disappointment. Was BS1 this bad, too? I'd need to replay it to check. Any half-decent Daedalic game blows this mediocrity out of the water.
I'm still at the very beginning but the game is quite a disappointment indeed.
I discovered the series and played BS1 for the first time not a long time ago (so not nostalgia) and i loved it.
I even enjoyed the sequels in a lesser degree (among these BS2 was the worst story-wise/dialog, while BS3/4 mainly suffer from bad gameplay IMO)

BS 5 is very sad because it really "sound" and "feel" like BS1, especially the dialogs...except a very badly version of it.
While in BS1 the dialogs were just the "perfect" amount over the top, the dialogs in BS5 are way too much to the point it's totally ridiculous/painful.
BS1 characters were tasty, BS5 characters are awful.
At least the main character is still quite fine but i hope it gets better.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'll agree with crooked bee and Wizfall on this one. The graphics and presentation are great, but the writing and plot are sub-par. The humor is probably the worst aspect of the game. Every character except Nico or George has to be a retarded cliche charicature that constantly puts roadblocks in front of them, because they are so fucking stupid and/or mean. Humor and wackyness work if you have a witty writer, but unfortunately BS5 doesn't. The rest of the gameplay isn't that good either. So far every puzzle is solved with items you find in the same area, progression seems completely linear and the puzzles are usually silly things like fix the neon sign of the street vendor so he can help you trap a cockroach so you can speak to the cockroach-fearing woman. I'd say this one seems like it's on par with BS2 so I guess if you liked BS2 you'll like BS5 too. If it wasn't for the nice, nostalgic, presentation I would have probably already dropped it.

As to why only BS1 had good writing, the answer is that BS1 was written by the same guy that wrote Beneath A Steel Sky, a guy that left Revolution during the development of BS2 and is unfortunately no longer among us. You can find more here

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I never understood what was so great about BS1 (except it was, I think, one of the first point'n'click games in 640x480 and it had a breakout during the installer, hehe) even when it first went out.
I think it had a pacing problem, somehow.
And I love a good occultism/secret society/neotemplar/rosicrucian/wtf plot (Umberto Eco, I'm talking about you). But has it been done well once in a videogame (GK3 nailed it, I'd say)?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I never understood what was so great about BS1 (except it was, I think, one of the first point'n'click games in 640x480 and it had a breakout during the installer, hehe) even when it first went out.
I think it had a pacing problem, somehow.
And I love a good occultism/secret society/neotemplar/rosicrucian/wtf plot (Umberto Eco, I'm talking about you). But has it been done well once in a videogame (GK3 nailed it, I'd say)?

To be honest they were never my favorite either, I'm much more a fan of "whacky" adventure games like the Lucasarts classics. Still there's something about BS1 and 2's art style and animation that was really impressive. I honestly think most of their reputation comes from that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you have received your game, you will know that the Broken Sword 5 game disk requires a Steam account. We apologise if this is not what you expected. We accepted the preference of the distributor that produced both the Kickstarter Exclusive Boxed Game and the Collector Edition that this approach offered the best user experience, particularly in regard to updates and optimisations.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If I wanted the BEST UZOR EXPERIENCE I would have chosen the steam version myself. But thank you very much for choosing in my place I have no brain to do that myself.

So, will the W2 disk also require steam? It's like a trend now or smth.

kaizoku

Arcane
why did I read this page?

:(

Has anyone received their box yet?

tag me plox

trustno1code

Prophet
Has anyone received their box yet?
Yep, it's quite nice honestly, although the loose paper sleeve thing they used to differentiate the Backer box from the regular Collectors box they're selling is kinda lame, can't really do anything with that. Unless you're of the 'never unwrap the box' kind. There's some differences even without it though, so whatever.
They will be sending out replacement DRM-free discs for those who want them btw. (see this update). The deadline has passed, but I'm sure they'd send further out in another shipment, in case anybody missed it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Amazon listing points to PS4 release for Broken Sword 5

Amazon's German arm has revealed a Broken Sword 5: Premium Edition for PlayStation 4.

The Kickstarter-funded game previously launched on PC, Mac, iOS, Android and PlayStation Vita, titled Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - or in Germany: Baphomets Fluch 5: Der Sunderfall.

This new console version, which presumably collects both episodes of the game, is dated for release on 26th June. It's not known what other features might be included.

"The award-winning adventure series will appear for the first time on Playstation 4," the Amazon.de listing reads.

"Broken Sword 5 combines contemporary classic gameplay with adventure elements - a suitable combination for casual players and fans of traditional adventures."

There's no official word yet on the game's PS4 launch, although the listing and its accompanying box art suggests we won't have to wait too long to hear more.

Ivan

Arcane
Finished it a few days ago. I liked most of the early puzzles. As others have said, it looks great, choppy dialogue aside, but it needs to improve it's writing. The villain was horrendously bad.

The tabula puzzle fucked me up tho.

COWCAT

COWCAT
Developer
Well it's still quite a lot of money, compared to what indie games make... And it doesn't include other kind of sales, including the GoG version and the consoles now.
I don't expect to sell more than 2K units of my own adventure game on its first year :p

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think my breaking point came at the urinating statue puzzle, which itself was a retread of the joke on a previous section.

It's simply not funny(tm). I smiled at Putin thou.

Barbarian

Arcane
I found the whole Cathar thing incredibly inane. It was poorly researched as well.

I suppose the first game was also silly(the first sequel even sillier), but I don't know, this one was reminiscent of the levels of retardation in BS3 and BS4.

Ivan

Arcane
did anyone else have no idea what to do at the Tabula puzzle? I was so lost, even when I looked up the answer.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Is Revolution Software making any new games?

They don't seem to be shutting down, but they haven't made any announcenments for the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom