Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Broken Sword The Serpent's Curse

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Broken Sword 5:The Serpents Curse, Episode 2.

Return of the Evil Goat!

139767752842.jpg

1465275_819421798074536_545717243_n.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
So the game is now complete?

Why have I never even heard of no. 4 ?is it bad?

DeepOcean

Arcane
So the game is now complete?

Why have I never even heard of no. 4 ?is it bad?
Broken Sword 1, decent adventure game, story not mind blowing these days after that shit Dan Brown wrote.Nice 2d graphics.
Broken Sword 2, decent adventure game, again story won't blow your mind either. Nice 2d graphics.
Broken Sword 3, mediocre adventure game, awful controls, story won't blow your mind either. 3d graphics that look fugly nowdays.
Broken Sword 4, forget this shit ever existed.

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah ok thanks.
I liked no.1 but not 2. 3 was total shit and I see now that apparently 4 is also.

But is 5 complete now or is there some more episodes to be released?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yeah ok thanks.
I liked no.1 but not 2. 3 was total shit and I see now that apparently 4 is also.

But is 5 complete now or is there some more episodes to be released?
With this episode they gonna release, it will be complete, it is the other half of the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Broken Sword 1, decent adventure game, story not mind blowing these days after that shit Dan Brown wrote.Nice 2d graphics.
Broken Sword 2, decent adventure game, again story won't blow your mind either. Nice 2d graphics.

This.
The key word here is "decent" - my thoughts exactly. I've never understood why so many people laud it as one of the best adventures evah. It's a decent game with nice graphics but nowhere near the all time greats cathegory.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

This.
The key word here is "decent" - my thoughts exactly. I've never understood why so many people laud it as one of the best adventures evah. It's a decent game with nice graphics but nowhere near the all time greats cathegory.
I will disagree here. I think the first one is great. It has everything a good adventure needs to have in the right doses. None of its aspects is exceptional but all are very good and in good balance and that's hard to find.
On the other hand I find the second one inferior and better than 3&4 only because of the beautiful 2D graphics. The puzzles are worse than BS1 and the writing is bad, cringe-worthy at times. Probably because the lead writer of BS1 (and BASS) left during development.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane

This.
I'm not an adventure game expert so maybe you're right. What made the first game stand out for was the mystery plot, the locations and the humour. The second game had horrible locations, I fucking hate jungle setting, it had juvenile humour and boring plot. Ancient knights treasure = good, saving the world from a demon the main protagonist doesn't even believe in = bad.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I had fun with Broken Sword 1 but for some reason I didn't like the dialogue style of both BASS and Broken Sword 1 (the rest of the Broken sword series only gets worse.). I don't know why Nico and George don't even get close to the pure charm of Gabriel and Grace on Gabriel Knight to me. As I didn't had much symphaty for them, the story kinda became a blurr and the whole Dan Brown shitty books with the whole hype of the templars conspiracy theme didn't help too.

Cadmus

Arcane
Nico especially becomes a complete cunt in BS2, I hated her. In BS1 they just sorta get together and it's not bad but I agree there's nothing between them going on and really no reason for them to fall in love or whatever.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
With this episode they gonna release

It's already released.

And it's FOKKEN GREAT.
Roxor, codexian bro, to someone completely broke, do I buy Moebius or Serpent Curse?

Serpent's Curse definitely.

There's not even any comparison, really. Serpent's Curse is just overall better, both as a full package and as an adventure game.

Although mind you, I haven't finished it yet, but the first chapter in the 2nd half of Serpent's Curse has more and better actual puzzles than the entirety of Moebius :/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have not been keeping up with this (I was honestly expecting it to turn out as complete shit, but apparently it sounds decent).

Are there going to be more chapters in this? Or just these 2?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:rage:

I suck at music puzzles. I demand that games cater to musically challenged people!

DeepOcean

Arcane
well

it's good to have a real instrument handy for music-based puzzles :M :M :M
Noooo!!! I can't hear any clear difference between the notes, had to use walkthroughs to skip all music based puzzles in all adventure games I played.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And that's it. 2nd half is p. much just as long as the 1st one, save game file says I've played through both in a total of 11 hours.

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the 2nd half was really, really cool. In fact, I'd say that it p. much eliminates most of the criticism I had after playing part 1, and I think it actually elevates the whole package to Broken Sword 1 level. It's got some really cool and smart puzzles, some even got me stuck for a while, and figuring out their solutions by yourself makes you feel clever.

I'd have only three criticisms towards the whole game, two major one small. The small one is that the author of the painting, the MYSTERIOUS EL SERP, never gets any spotlight. Or maybe he does in the first part but I forgot? Well, whatever. The two bigger ones, however, are definitely:

1. The ultimate showdown with PUTIN!!! feels way too anticlimactic and kind of a deus ex machina.
2. The gnostic shit stays shoddy and questionable all the way to the end.

Still, it was very good, definitely gets a Darth Roxor seal of approval. Also, I think that it might just about be the best done KS game I've played so far, properly polished, with high production qualities and with no visible cut corners. I think every other KS game had some very conspicuous concessions and cut stuff, but this one not so much. I think the only element that shows it was made on a limited budget is that most of the timeskips and transitions are just shown as "a few minutes/hours later..." black screens isntead of cutscenes, but it's not particularly offensive either.

Wouldn't mind if Revolution actually made BASS2 now. It's quite obvious they've still got plenty of juice and creativity left, even if the original BASS/BS dude is no longer on board (rip)

Also

:dance:

Last edited:
AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the 2nd half was really, really cool. In fact, I'd say that it p. much eliminates most of the criticism I had after playing part 1, and I think it actually elevates the whole package to Broken Sword 1 level.
It's pretty good, true, but I don't like how characters and plot seem to be a bit underdeveloped. Take Eve for example, you can remove her from the game and nothing of value would be lost.

Oh, and the ending is way too anime :M

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Take Eve for example, you can remove her from the game and nothing of value would be lost.

Oh, yeah, that is also true. But it ties into some of the other undeveloped hooks, like El Serp.

Oh, and the ending is way too anime :M

Well, the BS 1 and 2 endings were also kinda anime, 2 particularly :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom