Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can modern gamers get into old crpg's?

Narushima

Cipher
It is an overreaction from self-centered people who think that everyone should either enjoy their hobby like they do or nobody can enjoy it at all. In practice those two instead of getting butthurt mad that there are others who are having fun in a way they dislike, they could simply not play with these others and resume playing by themselves just like they used to do.
"Don't stand up for what you like, and let others destroy what you care about."

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Don't stand up for what you like, and let others destroy what you care about."

Yeah, that is shallow hyperbole. Nobody is destroying anything and for that matter nobody is even standing up for anything - complaining in forums that a few overhyped games are not made with you in mind via comics that serve to make the poster feel smug instead of actually having any real meaning is not "standing up".

If one actually *cares* about what they claim to care, they'd try to find games they like, inform others about them to spread the awareness of their existence and make discussions about them. Fortunately you are in a forum where people do exactly that and while there are a lot of people bitching about overhyped popular releases, there are also a lot of people discussing lesser known games and it is rare to not find at least some small discussion about even barely decent games in here, regardless of how obscure and ignored by the mainstream channels they were.

Use Google for searching the site though, it can be better than the search functionality here.

Narushima

Cipher
If one actually *cares* about what they claim to care, they'd try to find games they like, inform others about them to spread the awareness of their existence and make discussions about them. Fortunately you are in a forum where people do exactly that and while there are a lot of people bitching about overhyped popular releases, there are also a lot of people discussing lesser known games and it is rare to not find at least some small discussion about even barely decent games in here, regardless of how obscure and ignored by the mainstream channels they were.
The image is not about modern video games. It's not even about video games specifically.
If you just leave every hobby/game whenever it becomes tainted, you will soon find yourself looking for ever-shrinking areas that have been kept free of bullshit, and you will always be on the run.
It's the slippery slope. It exists.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The image is not about modern video games. It's not even about video games specifically.

The comic is garbage as i already wrote in the previous post, i used gaming because it was brought in the gaming context but i explained why it is garbage already. Even taken literally it is just two guys getting mad that the others do not want to enjoy the game like they enjoy it, instead of just playing their game by themselves like they used to do before anyone else joined.

The comic is just a long way to yell "stop enjoying things i dislike".

If you just leave every hobby/game

If you decide to leave then that is up to you and you alone, it is nobody else's problem that you do not want to stick around - but in both the imaginary tabletop context and in the context of games you do not have to leave at all, you just have to stop caring about what others are enjoying and what the mainstream market is after and seek stuff and people you'd like.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Sorry for derailing back to the topic...

I think a great way to get people into old CRPGs is to play real RPGs. The ones played with pen and paper, dices, that sort of thing.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I think it is more of a matter on whether an individual wants to play alone or play with others. And People sometimes like to share their experiences or reminisce about moments they enjoyed and hope to recapture those feelings.

You might and you might not. You might create new memories that could be good or toxic.

Overall, is it a huge concern if modern gamers do or don't get grabbed by older RPGs? Just about all of them I played solo until my sister got into JRPGs along with Mario games. I tried a few and went back to old platform games, doom games, and various CRPGs. As old games got reboxed snd released, I'd buy them esp when on discout. She was never interested in them and I didn't force the issue.

Games she really enjoyed playing with me was MULE, Lemmings, puzzle games, Heroes of Might & Magic, old MARIO BROS (co-op on NES), pinball games, and duck hunt (guess she liked the zapper).

OLD CRPGS seem like a solo experience even if there is a party.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Overall, is it a huge concern if modern gamers do or don't get grabbed by older RPGs.

Did you meant to write "overall it is not a huge concern if modern gamers do or don't get grabbed by older RPGs"? I agree with you that CRPGs (old or new IMO) are basically solo experiences so i don't see why it is a huge concern if new gamers care or not about them as those who do can enjoy them regardless, even if they are a small minority.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bah.. I forgot the question mark?
I suppose their importance is sharing one's enjoyment or disappointment in a paricular game or direction of company/franchise. It is still just an PPOV (personal point of view) and any person who enjoys the old can still enjoy it even if younger or others just flat out disagree.

I try various new games and even phone games and there is a lot of drek. Some are just button taps or and traps that require little to no skill. RPGS of today often have QOL that some older games don't have. If you own a game I trnd to not care how a person plays or rates it. I won't say it doesn't affect my first impression and I might look negatively. Videos and reviews might change my opinion. Until I actually play the game I really would be talking out my ass like a troll if I judged it as shit.

Say, I liked BG3 and just drank it up like Thor at the all you can booze up bar or the Succubus at FuckFactory Co. backroom of delights; I shouldn't get pissed off if every codexer says Its shit.

... Tbh, I haven't looked at much of BG3 except making my own trollish comments so Maybe I'm a hypocrite. Codex brings the worse out of me at times...maybe.

In the end my nostalgia goggles are pretty damn thick and rose tinted abd fresh opinions are actually wanted be they positive, neutral, or negative. (I'm not like the fallout vs underrail threads at all... I LIKE THEM BOTH).

have a young nephew who tells me how all he cares about is graphics and he only wants to play the best looking things. He's into CoD Battlefield Fortnite etc, he doesn't know any better. I show him far more interesting games and he basically laughs at them. Yet he is a huge fan of Minecraft. Kids are fucking stupid, they need saving, but it's a challenge.

You were too late sadly. If he's playing CoD and Battlefield he's probably what? 13 to 16? It's well past the sponge-brain bracket of about 8 to 12 years old. At this point he's already discerning and he's looking to peer pressure rather than looking up to his cool uncle. No fault of yours of course, families don't seem to have much time for wider family anymore.

I was lucky enough to have an older cousin who came down for Christmas of Y2K. At that point in my life I had just turned 10 and he was 14. I had no brothers, so naturally it was great to have someone introduce me to big-boy video games. On this visit he brought with him Icewind Dale and Diablo II. The Christmas before was Baldur's Gate. We played IWD for the first few days, got to Kuldahar, but he was far more keen to play D2 so most of the holiday it was the latter. It really got me hooked and I was always dying to play more IWD. He was nice enough to just give me his burned copy before he left to head back home across the country. Lots of fond memories rolling a ranger listening to all the voice sets and laughing at all the funny grunts and one-liners. Were it not for having someone I looked up to telling me all the ins and outs I doubt I would have played many of my favorite games today.

It was also thanks to my grandmother in part. She used to take me and some of my other cousins to the library at a young age. It was there that I developed my love of all things medieval. My love of Fantasy and Roleplaying was downstream of that.

Edit: I should quickly add that despite the aforementioned games in my story being relatively new at the time, this wasn't apparent or relevant to me. I had only gotten a PC about a year prior in the typical "end of the world" sales that were going around with the Y2K bug. I had practically no PC games, however I did have a Nintendo 64 with games that were far superior graphically to anything my PC could handle. I was capable of gauging each against the other and the deficit didn't matter to me.

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Not even an old game, but a friend who isn't a RPG gamer(mostly played Skyrim and the recent Fallout games) decided to try Pathfinder Kingmaker and bounced off right...at the character creation part, complaining about how there are too many races, classes, atributes, heritages and stuff with stats and racial bonuses that feel less clear than Skyrim and like he should have read an actual manual for Pathfinder to make a good character.

Being too worried about making a bad character to even start, maybe try convincing him to try again and not worry so much about racial bonuses and ways classes can change according to your heritage or even what he calls presets(tried making a Tiefling Sorcerer and then saw how there were four different versions of sorcerers) and such, i guess spending quite a while looking at stats and text to making a character isn't his idea of fun?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
They seem to be forgetting about PRINTED MANUALS.

The full gaming experience in the old days was the disks and the printed manual. It was essential at a time when control systems were often idiosyncratic.

I miss the feelies that you got with the games.

Even my daughter is another example of this instant gratification bullshit.

They are all hooked on tablets, Roblox, minecraft etc.

I try to play older games like Super Mario World on the SNES, or any game that is two players. Her, soon she dies, not her turn, etc she gets bored, annoyed. It's not a age thing, it's the oh tap on this thing that all kids are hooked on.

When I was a kid I could sit there for hours waiting for my turn, and try my hardest.

You gave your kids the electronics and didn't think about the drawbacks of doing so. Did you put your kids on kiddy cocaine or meth?

NerevarineKing

Learned
I'm in my mid 20s and a lot of games I play are older than me. There's always going to be people who like a genre enough to go back and play the classics.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

The full gaming experience in the old days was the disks and the printed manual. It was essential at a time when control systems were often idiosyncratic.

Manuals man, they were fucking great. They really got the imaginative juices flowing. Any game at the time, first thing I'd do is pore over the manual, preferably sitting in a "greasy spoon" (the kinds of cheap, tea-and-bacon-roll-proffering cafes that used to be ubiquitous in London, now almost entirely replaced by expensive simulacra and kebab shops) with a cup of coffee and a fag.

I remember vividly one occasion, having gotten a second-hand copy of Baldur's Gate and getting on a London bus. Up to that point I hadn't played anything other than fps-es and real-time strategy games, and my only awareness of D&D was from the occasional head-shaking mention in the media, and a time back in the late 70s when I'd been hanging out with the backstage crew guys at a theater, old hippy stoners all, and they'd invited me to this new thing that was "like Lord of the Rings," where you sat around a table and played. Unfortunately at the time I was doing something else on that day, so I missed out.

Anyway, there I was, lovely summer's day in the late 90s, top deck of a London double-decker bus puttering through some leafy part of the city, cracking open the box and reading this. I couldn't wait to get home and try out the game :)

Happy days!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still have to be amazed after Sseth’s videos on games like Might and Magic 6 that have 2.2 million views and 105k likes… if 0.05 of those viewers actually got into buying (and playing) that game imagine how many new gamers of old games that single video created?
It is not the question that new gamers can get into older games… it all depends on the quality of those games and Might and Magic 6 is the perfect example of what a good fun and engaging game is regardless of it age

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Manuals man, they were fucking great. They really got the imaginative juices flowing. Any game at the time, first thing I'd do is pore over the manual, preferably sitting in a "greasy spoon" (the kinds of cheap, tea-and-bacon-roll-proffering cafes that used to be ubiquitous in London, now almost entirely replaced by expensive simulacra and kebab shops) with a cup of coffee and a fag.

I remember vividly one occasion, having gotten a second-hand copy of Baldur's Gate and getting on a London bus. Up to that point I hadn't played anything other than fps-es and real-time strategy games, and my only awareness of D&D was from the occasional head-shaking mention in the media, and a time back in the late 70s when I'd been hanging out with the backstage crew guys at a theater, old hippy stoners all, and they'd invited me to this new thing that was "like Lord of the Rings," where you sat around a table and played. Unfortunately at the time I was doing something else on that day, so I missed out.

Anyway, there I was, lovely summer's day in the late 90s, top deck of a London double-decker bus puttering through some leafy part of the city, cracking open the box and reading this. I couldn't wait to get home and try out the game :)

Happy days!

I remember cracking open Zork and The Lurking Horror from Infocom to find the manuals, cluebook, scratch and sniff cards, and other goodies. That was the good old days and SSI's AD&D games had the adventure journals that required you to look up to read the important storyline bits.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Not even an old game, but a friend who isn't a RPG gamer(mostly played Skyrim and the recent Fallout games) decided to try Pathfinder Kingmaker and bounced off right...at the character creation part, complaining about how there are too many races, classes, atributes, heritages and stuff with stats and racial bonuses that feel less clear than Skyrim and like he should have read an actual manual for Pathfinder to make a good character.

Being too worried about making a bad character to even start, maybe try convincing him to try again and not worry so much about racial bonuses and ways classes can change according to your heritage or even what he calls presets(tried making a Tiefling Sorcerer and then saw how there were four different versions of sorcerers) and such, i guess spending quite a while looking at stats and text to making a character isn't his idea of fun?
In early MMOs people picked a character and played it. Then after a while every game had this in the chat constantly:

Fuckwit01: wot class is best and raec?
Someplayer: Just pick whatever and have fun. But I guess Wizards are best for dps right now.
BadazzWizord: wot best plac 2 go at lvl1?
BadazzWizord: also wat stats and gear is best for wizerd?
Otherplayer: The Warrens are good for low levels.
BadazzWizord: i got lvl 2 wots best plac 2 go at lvl2?

Silentstorm

Learned
To be fair, i kinda get that myself wanting to make good builds and caring about that rather than just playing a game, i have been guilty of looking at guides online so i don't get screwed over, last time i picked a class without checking anything was...pretty recently with Elden Ring when i avoided all spoilers and immediately went for Samurai because...well, it's a Samurai and the fact they could use bows too seemed cool...little did i know how broken magic truly was in that game.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

In early MMOs people picked a character and played it. Then after a while every game had this in the chat constantly:

Someplayer: Just pick whatever and have fun. But I guess Wizards are best for dps right now.

Back then people actually typed the correct words and not use the gibberish you wrote. We were much more educated back then. Thanks for reminding us how illiterate and retarded Millennials and Zoomers are.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Back then people actually typed the correct words and not use the gibberish you wrote. We were much more educated back then. Thanks for reminding us how illiterate and retarded Millennials and Zoomers are.

Depends on how long ago "back then" is. I played WoW in 2006 for only three weeks cause it got too repetitive for me, but in even that short time I managed to meet some truly retarded people.

I played with a pal from Sweden, we were playing as orcs together. One evening we decided to join some group to go raid an instance. We found a group led by a guy named Fundi. Seemed like a decent lad at first... until we entered the instance and found out he's retarded.
Literally retarded.

We didn't have a healer but needed one. A healer joined later, but would have had to walk all the way to us. Luckily my friend played a warlock, who has a spell that allows teleporting party members to our location from far away.
I don't remember the exact spell details because it has been 15 years, but IIRC my pal summoned a portal and then the rest of the party members had to touch it in order to make it work and teleport our far-off healer into our midst.

So my pal placed the portal and said "Ok, now everyone touch the portal."
Fundi, the leader of the group, asked: "How do we do that?"
"Right click the portal."
"Oh. What does that do?"
"It activates the portal."
"Oh. And what will that do?"
"It will teleport our healer to our location."
"Oh. And how do we do that?"
"We all have to touch the portal."
"Oh. How do I touch the portal?"
"You right click the portal with your mouse."
"Ok. What does that do?"
"... it activates the portal to summon our healer."
"Oh. How do we do that?"
"JUST RIGHT CLICK THE FUCKING PORTAL"

Later, one of our guys died and respawned in town. My pal summoned the portal again to cut the travel time, but of course Fundi had to ask the same questions again because he fucking forgot what the portal is for and how it's activated.

But that wasn't all. Later, we were close to a tough boss enemy and talking tactics. My warrior chick was the tank so we decided that I should go first. My pal as a warlock had some debuff spells. The healer would of course stay back and heal us.
And while we were discussing our approach, Fundi ran ahead and aggro'd the boss. We had to run after him and try to salvage the situation, any tactical approach we had talked about before tossed out of the window.
And what was his reply to our enraged all-caps texts of "NOOO WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU SHOULD HAVE LET THE TANK GO FIRST, WTF"?
A simple "Oh."
Fucking retard.
And then he had the gall to choose "need" on every item drop, which increases your chance of getting the item during the die roll that determines who gets to pick up what. Even if the item wasn't equippable by his class.
I decided to also push need on every item and then hand out the ones I don't need to party members who do, just to decrease the likelihood of that faggot grabbing them all.

His idiocy was so annoying, my pal then tried to insult him... but failed because the guy was too retarded to understand the insult.

"Hey Fundi, do you know what incest is?"
"No, what is it?"
"It's how you were made."
"Oh. Cool!"

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Depends on how long ago "back then" is. I played WoW in 2006 for only three weeks cause it got too repetitive for me, but in even that short time I managed to meet some truly retarded people.

I played with a pal from Sweden, we were playing as orcs together. One evening we decided to join some group to go raid an instance. We found a group led by a guy named Fundi. Seemed like a decent lad at first... until we entered the instance and found out he's retarded.
Literally retarded.

We didn't have a healer but needed one. A healer joined later, but would have had to walk all the way to us. Luckily my friend played a warlock, who has a spell that allows teleporting party members to our location from far away.
I don't remember the exact spell details because it has been 15 years, but IIRC my pal summoned a portal and then the rest of the party members had to touch it in order to make it work and teleport our far-off healer into our midst.

So my pal placed the portal and said "Ok, now everyone touch the portal."
Fundi, the leader of the group, asked: "How do we do that?"
"Right click the portal."
"Oh. What does that do?"
"It activates the portal."
"Oh. And what will that do?"
"It will teleport our healer to our location."
"Oh. And how do we do that?"
"We all have to touch the portal."
"Oh. How do I touch the portal?"
"You right click the portal with your mouse."
"Ok. What does that do?"
"... it activates the portal to summon our healer."
"Oh. How do we do that?"
"JUST RIGHT CLICK THE FUCKING PORTAL"

Later, one of our guys died and respawned in town. My pal summoned the portal again to cut the travel time, but of course Fundi had to ask the same questions again because he fucking forgot what the portal is for and how it's activated.

But that wasn't all. Later, we were close to a tough boss enemy and talking tactics. My warrior chick was the tank so we decided that I should go first. My pal as a warlock had some debuff spells. The healer would of course stay back and heal us.
And while we were discussing our approach, Fundi ran ahead and aggro'd the boss. We had to run after him and try to salvage the situation, any tactical approach we had talked about before tossed out of the window.
And what was his reply to our enraged all-caps texts of "NOOO WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU SHOULD HAVE LET THE TANK GO FIRST, WTF"?
A simple "Oh."
Fucking retard.
And then he had the gall to choose "need" on every item drop, which increases your chance of getting the item during the die roll that determines who gets to pick up what. Even if the item wasn't equippable by his class.
I decided to also push need on every item and then hand out the ones I don't need to party members who do, just to decrease the likelihood of that faggot grabbing them all.

His idiocy was so annoying, my pal then tried to insult him... but failed because the guy was too retarded to understand the insult.

"Hey Fundi, do you know what incest is?"
"No, what is it?"
"It's how you were made."
"Oh. Cool!"

Shall I point out that you're a Millennial? I'm GenX, so when I was speaking about generations I made it clear that I was referring to Boomers and GenX not Millennials and Zoomers. I saw the retardation of Millennials first hand and their use of words that were misspelled to the point of what we have now. Thanks for highlighting and proving that I was right. ;)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyone here read the novels that cane with some of the games? Thera's Awakening for Stonekeep, POR - Ruins of Myth Drannor for like game, Buck Rogers that cane with the first game?

I read Thera & POR.

Maybe the store packaged the two together. Ebay lists a few varieties. I went to mocagh and noticed the ubisoft catalog.

I might be able to play any genre from any consol/computer from any time period and get drawn in. No matter how bad the game really is I do try to look deeper and see if I can draw any meaning or value from it. I mean, I tried mobile and java free games and a lot of these are fucking terrible.

I think it really depends on the individual. If we are going by raw numbers, then J have no idea since I can't quote statistical data if there is any.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think PVP really drives the perfect build thing. But I found it sad because the early days of MMOs people only knew the basics, beefy types use strength, wizard types use int, healer types use wis. But that was enough for them to make a character and go exploring the world. Learn as you go. Somewhere along the line it changed into being a race to level and people demanded all the info right at the start, and the fastest and best possible route through the games. The spirit of those early games got ruined so fast. Now they just let people start at level 80 or whatever because they gave up even trying to provide a journey.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The journey no longer provides it's own reward. Enjoyment now comes from running the same dungeon 50 times for a lootbox and crossing your fingers that you'll see your item number increase by +1. A different world from firing up Ultima Online, picking a direction and just wandering forth, marveling at the wonders encountered along the way and getting excitement just by interacting with other players.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think a true gamer can play anything - if the gameplay is good. I was able to get into really old games which were way before my time and are considered classics now. Because these were good games, after playing a while, you do not notice anymore that graphics is outdated etc. and just concentrate on gameplay itself. So if modern gamer cannot into old games just because they look outdated and gameplay is challenging, it means this person is not really a gamer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom