Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Caribbean Legend - Classic Pirate RPG Sea Dogs: To Each His Own Remake/Remaster

Cancer

Literate
I'm assuming this is going to be similar to the old Sea Dogs/Pirates of the Caribbean/Age of Pirates 1 & 2, which were all essentially the same game released every 3 years. Looks like it anyway. There were some problems with those games (broken and easily abused economy, terrible map, shallow RPG, and an overall lack of direction), but the ship-to-ship combat in modded AOP 2 was FANTASTIC. Worth playing it for that alone.

I truly hope they've finally ditched the "ghost pirate" nonsense, which was something tacked on to ride the POTC hype, and never really made sense in what was essentially a continuation of Sid Meier's Pirates!.

Downloading the demo and will give it a shot.

Cancer

Literate
my only complaint: TEHO campaign and dlcs was boring, no offense to the devs. you cant tack on a linear goose chase main quest to a game that should be more like MOUNT AND BLADE in gameplay.
Exactly, the right way to do this setting is to have strong AI factions (the various European nations, other pirates, etc.) who do high politics in a non-player centric world. Part of the fun is navigating (no pun intended) through the diplomatic options between the different nations, as they go to war or form alliances. There is no reason why you can't have strong role-playing without a main quest. Speaking of Sid Meier, no game ever has had better narrative qualities than Civ 4, and that's because you and your opponents make your own "main quest" every game.

The original Pirates! was the first "big brain" game I played (on C64) as a kid, and I've been looking for something to recreate the magic ever since. The 2004 remake didn't cut it. They didn't add enough depth to really rise above what had already been done, only a bunch of corny minigames. The Akella games are fine, but were also just too disjointed in conception to really excel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2230980/view/4042612637297270003

Caribbean Legend - Out Now!
The next big discount will only be available in October.

Ahoy!

There is not much to say - buy it now on Steam while it's 25% off. Limited time offer—only two weeks and
the next big discount will only be available in October.

Now that we are done with salesmanship, what is Caribbean Legend? First of all, it is more than a game, it is a unique genre.

If you have played any of Sea Dogs games before
, you probably already know everything about Caribbean Legend. Read this open letter, explaining our vision and our mission, and you are good to go for your pirate raid.

If you have never played any of the Sea Dogs games before
, then I must inform you that they are known for being hard, clunky, and outdated. We've improved on each of these aspects, but they still exist and they can still ruin your day. If you manage to get through them... well, welcome to the best pirate game out there. It's true; how many games do you know which have all these mechanics?

• Combat at sea.
  • Land combat.
  • Exploration on land.
  • Global map.
  • RPG system.
  • Dialogues.
  • Companions and love interests.
  • Linear and generated quests.
  • A deep narrative with choices and consequences.
  • Loot, collectibles, and crafting.
  • Building and management.

That's right, not too many. Give Caribbean Legend a try, but be careful - if it clicks with you, you'll find yourself lost in the Golden Age of Caribbean piracy for several hundred hours.

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
I'm playing the free version and its fun with generic quests only, slowly capturing better ships and having to sink the old one everytime because crew gets absolutely slaughtered. Enemies dont engage suicide fights with forts anymore. There doesnt seem to be direct sailing like without using world map.

Lack of rpg mechanics: you pick premade character attributes and cant change them so why bother having it? Skills are increase by use which i also dont like. Cant even choose officers' perks i guess.

Anyway blackmark is based so they will release scripts of the game after a while then you can modify whatever.
compared to this https://cmdrhammie.itch.io/beyond-new-horizons, the biggest not-russian mod where they added everything they fancied with no thought of consequences, i find this game more reasonable.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
1706899172586576.png

the "go to jail script have being broken" arghhhh away my frens.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Is this worth it if I already have To Each His Own? I've never played through it because the French are fags and I hate having to play as one, but I generally like Sea Dogs.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
well if u own TEHO you can get a 50% off the game, but overall it's just the same game with slight improved graphics, some improvements and making some quests easy.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I wish they at least added controller support (something Sea Dogs 1/Pirates of the Caribbean on Xbox had) or the ability to jump or even step down off a fucking 5" high sidewalk. So, to paraphrase the late Jon Pertwee about the daleks (old style), "They can't even go up or down a couple of steps so they're screwed if they're chasing you!" Does this remaster have all the DLC of the original game? As for controller support, I created an Xpadder profile for these old Storm games back when I played (or tried to anyway) New Horizons that works well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom