Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher CD Project develops 2 new AAA+++++ games for PC and Next gen consoles

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
NO fuck off with that shit! They need to focus on churning out Witcher expansions, Witcher DLC, and Witcher patches. No Witcher = no buy.
Jokes aside, I'd gladly play a game in a witcher universe but without Geralt or any other book character as a protagonist.

Gerrard

Arcane
"I am so fucking edgy i am practically round." sums up half of the posts in this thread. Truly a mark of prestigious magazine such as the Codex.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
"I am so fucking edgy i am practically round." sums up half of the posts in this thread. Truly a mark of prestigious magazine such as the Codex.

That's the norm around here.

Offtopic: Anyone knows the source of this expression?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Looks like the new content for Chapter 3 will last ca. 4 hours. Also, they are mentioning 2 new gameplay elements (whatever that means). They claim it is shown on the new trailer somwhere. One was apparently identified as horses (though maybe it is not a new gameplay element, but just some horses' models in the game).

4 hours, hmm not so bad. I was bitching about that before, but from what it looks like they pretty much double the size of chapter 3. If there aer some more gameplay elements to it, it may be worth it. Though I'd still prefer normal expansion pack.
Oh, it is of course for free for PC version.

http://translate.google.pl/translat..._Edycja_Rozszerzona_z_ukryta_wiadomoscia.html

FUDU

Arcane
Wow, 4 hours of extra content and 2 new game play elements, for FREE. They also added an arena mode, dark mode, several item upgrades, a merchant, a quest, and a few other little downloads, FOR FREE.

By Bioware/EA standards that would be about,

1. 4 hours of extra content (1 hour, day one DLC "From Ashes" $ 10.00 a pop) $ 40.00

2. 2 new game play elements. $ 5.00 a piece. $10.00

3. Arena mode. (Hell that's piratically an expansion.) $ 30.00

4. New difficulty mode, dark mode, and unique items. $ 15.00

5. New merchant. $ 5.00

6. Troll Quest. $ 10.00

7. Miscellaneous stuff. $ 15.00

That's $ 125.00 dollars worth of stuff, and CDPR just gives it away FOR FREE.

That's a lot of blow and hookers man.

Silly potatoes.

MCA
I'd love a Witcher game set at a much earlier time in the history of the witcher order where they are still relatively new and you go around recruiting, training and "mutating" newbies into full blown witchers while taking quests. Supposedly, the world in The Witcher universe used to be crawling with monsters so there would be no shortage of them, possibly with a semblance of civilisation too, monsters that could pass as men-at-arms to fight against. And also prejudice and opposition from humans. A JA2 style turn-based tactical RPG in The Witcher universe with similar management aspects. That would rock so hard.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would love anything from CDPR as long as they keep it within the current quality limits.

New or old setting doesnt matter as long as they arent making anything painfully generic.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Supposedly, the world in The Witcher universe used to be crawling with monsters so there would be no shortage of them, possibly with a semblance of civilisation too, monsters that could pass as men-at-arms to fight against.
That's actually one of the problems of the games, IMO. It's long since I read the books and only the two that were translated into German, but the major themes (IIRC) were that
1. Geralt wasn't so sure anymore if the monters were truly evil/if humans were worth saving.
2. If Geralt himself wasn't closer to "monster" than human.
3. That he has great difficulties finding monsters and getting contracts. He only encounters 2-3 monsters in the 2 books and often contemplates what place a witcher has in the world if he hunts all monsters to extinction.

In the games? There you wade through hordes of monsters and leave mountains of corpses behind you... So the games actually already played in that monster-infested age. Just sayin'.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Supposedly, the world in The Witcher universe used to be crawling with monsters so there would be no shortage of them, possibly with a semblance of civilisation too, monsters that could pass as men-at-arms to fight against.
That's actually one of the problems of the games, IMO. It's long since I read the books and only the two that were translated into German, but the major themes (IIRC) were that
1. Geralt wasn't so sure anymore if the monters were truly evil/if humans were worth saving.
3. That he has great difficulties finding monsters and getting contracts. He only encounters 2-3 monsters in the 2 books and often contemplates what place a witcher has in the world if he hunts all monsters to extinction.

In the games? There you wade through hordes of monsters and leave mountains of corpses behind you... So the games actually already played in that monster-infested age. Just sayin'.

Well, FWIW, in TW1 the intro says the monster population has resurged in the wake of the war against Nilfgaard and the catriona plague.

MCA

Fair point about the games but I'm talking about turn-based, tactical, with management. Any excuse is a good excuse for such a game. Plus civilised or otherwise organised monsters. Maybe even somewhat humorous situations where "monsters" approach witchers to hire them to wipe a human settlement "infringing" on their turf, for instance. Sky grid is the limit.

Kjujik

Educated
Well, FWIW, in TW1 the intro says the monster population has resurged in the wake of the war against Nilfgaard and the catriona plague.

Even so the amount of monsters is fairly ridiculous compared to the books. IIRC most monsters that came to Witcher’s world during the conjunction of spheres were taken out of their original ecological niche and had trouble adapting in the new world. This plus intensified growth of human settlements and monster hunts, decimated the monster population. Given this circumstances it would be extremely difficult for them to procreate fast enough to replenish the population and multiply it 100-fold in two to five years that separate the last book from TW1. Especially given that most powerful monsters had the life cycle measured in hundreds of years (just think of Regis the vampire from the books).

But that’s just incoherent rambling by my inner butthurt fanboy. If the games were to stay true to the original, they would have to include 3 maybe 4 monster fights top. The areas would have to be at least twice as large and mainly empty. That would make the game devoid of action and virtually inaccessible to the mass market. So it’s not like the dev’s had any choice.

But then again it would be fun, if the game had you track down the monster by searching for footprints, victim remains and such. Plus the whole preparation with even higher level of detail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom