Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Dudes stop shitposting every time I come back to this thread is like 9325738956389 new pages

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So the consensus is that you should buy it once all the DLC is out and the game patched?

Unless you think only isometric RPGs and blobbers are worthy of the title of "RPG," or your idea of an immersive sim begins and ends with Deus Ex, you should buy it now, unless you have a PS4 or an absolute toaster.

The naysayers are just edgelords smelling fake blood in the water.

Azdul

Magister
In fact, it seems that most of the people that had any passion for creating games already ejected from there (inb4 a new indie studio?).
There have already been several Indie studios that came out of Ex-CDPR employees, in fact they already even released "Cyberpunk" games before CDPR managed to
Every game studio in Poland was either built by ex-CDPR employees, or hires large number of ex-CDPR employees.

Having ex-CDPR employees in the team tells you essentially nothing about quality of the game. It may be ambitious and visionary - but when they run out of money during development - they will release crap.

It also does not mean that they work faster than CDPR. Once money runs out, it does not matter if the game is ready or not - it will be published immediately.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yes, when you buy this game many of the glitches and bugs disperse. What you see on videos around the Internet are mere fabrication spawned from your mind's eye. This game is unique, it actually cures itself once you put the money down to buy it. I've never seen technology this advanced before.

Now I know what you're thinking, "But I don't like the way it handles itemization, the RPG portion seems superficial and stapled on, the open world is pretty to look at but extremely rudimentary in terms of scripting, the combat looks as responsive as Bethesda Fallout without VATS, I don't want Keanu Reeves watching me shower."

Luckily when you buy CD Project RED's magnum opus, John Romero's Cyberpunk 2077, all these problems you think you have are molded to fit what you want and how you want it. A bulletproof vest will provide better protection than a pink blouse, the world will seem so living and breathing you will no longer need to go outside ever again, the combat carries so much weight and impact that you will have to actually hit pause and massage your temple to get a grip because of how intense and involving it is, your favorite actress in her prime years will not only follow you everywhere but offer her uterus for your breeding benefit.

I was like many of the naysayers here. I thought, "boy when there exists hours upon hours of proof this game is a steaming pile of donkey shit why would I need to buy it to further confirm what I already know?" Then I bought it and lo-behold, this game is majestic. It has somehow formed itself to my every thought. This game is amazing. This game is awesome. If this game was Cleopatra I'd love nothing more than to be one of the slaves carrying her throne. You see those videos were put there by evil edgelords and mindflayers. They want to warp your reality. Buy CP2077, it will change you.

Join us.

Join us.

Join us.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The question is how many points you need to do something at all vs excel in it. Stealth and hacking seem to work fine with minimal point investment. Crafting requires a full investment to be really viable, otherwise it hardly seems worth it. Meanwhile you can buy a legendary cyberdeck at Street Rank 14 that can presumably last you the whole game, even with 3 intelligence.

Fair points. I think "cool" has some essential stealth perks in it like massive headshot damage boosts, but you're right that a lot of other trees seem like they're filled with meh perks. Outer Worlds had very meh perks as well. Maybe that's intentional so that dumb fucks who can't choose the right shit don't get boned and bitch on reddit that it's hard.

Still, I stand by my concern about replay value. There's no real personality flavor dialog. There are some choices in main missions like corporate lady or gang early on, but if you were to design a character in your head... militant fascist, anti-corporate freedom fighter, whatever... there's little in the way of expressing that like there is in New Vegas. Toss in being able to max 2-3 ability trees out of 5 and it just screams 2 different playthroughs to me, an action one and a stealth one, with other differences being minor. However I could be wrong like I was about stealth early on, I've only just now opened up the city and maybe things evolve.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Destroy-this-mad-brute-one-of-the-best-known-American-WWI-propaganda-posters-8.png

Fedora Master I mean this my friend you should embrace you inner germoid.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So the consensus is that you should buy it once all the DLC is out and the game patched?
The baseline is this, it's incorrect to call the game "buggy" because it's really still in alpha state, with some elements missing that should clearly be there - car AI, buyable braindance shards, the police system that's obviously a placeholder.

All in all I would say around 10% of the game is still missing and at some point will hopefully be implemented.

The question should be are you willing to play a very good game that's still in alpha?

Last edited:

Robber Baron

Savant
As far as actual roleplaying goes I haven't encountered a single time where an attribute check dialog or origin check dialog did anything more than a comment-like flavour text, they are 100% useless so far(30 hours in, 4 hours post prologue)
SJW is also non-existent here, game has 100% cool 90s type of narrative going on like Demolition Man, Dredd with Stallone and Escape from LA. I love it.

Also stealth playthrough in a nutshell
hJaV4Mh.gif

Trithne

Erudite
The question is how many points you need to do something at all vs excel in it. Stealth and hacking seem to work fine with minimal point investment. Crafting requires a full investment to be really viable, otherwise it hardly seems worth it. Meanwhile you can buy a legendary cyberdeck at Street Rank 14 that can presumably last you the whole game, even with 3 intelligence.

Fair points. I think "cool" has some essential stealth perks in it like massive headshot damage boosts, but you're right that a lot of other trees seem like they're filled with meh perks. Outer Worlds had very meh perks as well. Maybe that's intentional so that dumb fucks who can't choose the right shit don't get boned and bitch on reddit that it's hard.

Still, I stand by my concern about replay value. There's no real personality flavor dialog. There are some choices in main missions like corporate lady or gang early on, but if you were to design a character in your head... militant fascist, anti-corporate freedom fighter, whatever... there's little in the way of expressing that like there is in New Vegas. Toss in being able to max 2-3 ability trees out of 5 and it just screams 2 different playthroughs to me, an action one and a stealth one, with other differences being minor. However I could be wrong like I was about stealth early on, I've only just now opened up the city and maybe things evolve.

This is probably the biggest sin of the game, and it's honestly more than likely intentional - this is a one and done game. There isn't nearly enough to really make a re run feel different, maybe something to come back to 5 years later or so.

But, as has been mentioned in the thread before - metrics show that the majority of people don't even finish a game, let alone play it a second time. When you consider that, why put in the effort to make highly different characterisations or playstyles - put in enough to let the player slightly tinge the one playthrough you expect them to do and add content to make that playthrough take longer.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
This is probably the biggest sin of the game, and it's honestly more than likely intentional - this is a one and done game. There isn't nearly enough to really make a re run feel different, maybe something to come back to 5 years later or so.
Nah there are some quests that you can miss for example if you shoot royce during the bot mission you loose out on a sidequest later on in the game another thing iconic weapons and gear for some you have to kill the character carrying it another incentive for a replay.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Are you implying that The Outer Worlds being a shitshown isn't because Tim Cain and Boyarsky lost their touch? :lol:
Oh dear, you are more delusional than I thought.

So it's them who lost their touch rigth?
And it's not becuae they wer directors who actually didn't do any real input, rigth?
And the real input wasn't from twitter whores who also by the chance also are writers and artists and designers for a game?
Riiiiiiiiiiiight....

Yosharian

Arcane
Lmao I tried to set up an autohotkey script to save my RSI with clicking these godamn vending machines over and over (that Legendary rifle ain't gonna pay for itself) and the game actually has a script blocker built into it

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Lmao I tried to set up an autohotkey script to save my RSI with clicking these godamn vending machines over and over (that Legendary rifle ain't gonna pay for itself) and the game actually has a script blocker built into it
Multi babeh dat money is very tempting once they smell the multi cash say goodbye to the singleplayer dlc :lol:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You don't need a mid range PC to download a torrent.
Good luck playing on those shitboxes some of those tards have 10 year old gpu and hdd in 2020 and they complain it runs like shit.
Well nobody should listen to the opinion of consoletards or people who try to play games on their Voodoo 3s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom