Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Wesp5

Arcane
imagine making a game in 2020 with plenty of dark scenes and not adding a fucking flashlight

Or night vision enhancement, I mean, you have eye implants and they don't have that as default?

Gargaune

Arcane
So real talk. what mods are really really good if u wanna play again for the dlc?
graphics mods or otherwise BIS mods
Get Limited HUD for your UI. Why Eidos Montreal seem to be the only modern AAA developer to figure out the value of modal, auto-hiding interface configurations is beyond me.

imagine making a game in 2020 with plenty of dark scenes and not adding a fucking flashlight

Or night vision enhancement, I mean, you have eye implants and they don't have that as default?
Worse, you mean you have a game with eye implants and it doesn't have night vision among multiple other options.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
GPS Minimap is p. neat. It simply enables the minimap automatically whenever you get on a motorcycle or enter a car, then disables it the instant you get off or exit the car.

It's an immersion thing, and requires Cyber Engine Tweaks, but it works perfectly.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Augs in CP77 are limited to passive buffs, jump variants, bullet time, and melee weapons.
Hey dont forget about netrunning and smart link that enables use of smart weapons but I agree lack of flashlight or night vision is retarted especially since Glitcher 3 had both in medieval setting (torch, cat potion) and fucking cyberpunk has some weapon sights with night vision how hard was it to put that effect on eye augs with a button to toggle :lol:.

Wesp5

Arcane
Are you guys saying there is no night vision aug of any kind at all in the game?
Not really, you get fine night vision with some of the weapons, which makes it even more stupid that it isn't at least a mod for the eye implants! CP77 already has the technical feature. The same goes for the flashlight, in the underwater mission you have one. Why can't this be used elsewhere? I really hope the new modding tools make it possible to move these features to where they are needed!

Tyrr

Liturgist
Augs in CP77 are limited to passive buffs, jump variants, bullet time, and melee weapons.
Hey dont forget about netrunning and smart link that enables use of smart weapons but I agree lack of flashlight or night vision is retarted especially since Glitcher 3 had both in medieval setting (torch, cat potion) and fucking cyberpunk has some weapon sights with night vision how hard was it to put that effect on eye augs with a button to toggle :lol:.
The latest Deus Ex games had better augments than CP77.
The game isn't bad, just mediocre on every level. Everything in it some game before already did better.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Exploration is worse in Cyberpunk 2077 than in The Witcher 3

To be fair, cities are just not as innately pleasant or interesting to humans as variable wilds and wide open expanses. We like things like 'forest bathing' for a reason. Eventually the oddities of NC become almost mundane when we acclimatise to them. Same as moving to any new city that seems novel at first. We seem to tire less of natural landscapes.

Also making the time between the start and act 1 not playable, but a cutscene is just lazy. It could had been CP2077's White Orchard.

I don't remember if there was an exact period stated, but I think that "cutscene" was meant to convey a pretty long stretch of time -- enough that should've been much longer time-wise than the actual game. I'm not sure how that would work as a playable entity, unless you want that rapid series of vignettes as playable ones ... but I imagine it would feel pretty forced and restricted if it was to convey the same emotional content reliably.

Plus it arguably would take a fair bit away from the sequences involving Johnny's memories if they took the trippy, spliced vignette route -- and that still doesn't get around how forced it'd feel.

Gargaune

Arcane
GPS Minimap is p. neat. It simply enables the minimap automatically whenever you get on a motorcycle or enter a car, then disables it the instant you get off or exit the car.

It's an immersion thing, and requires Cyber Engine Tweaks, but it works perfectly.
That's what I got Limited HUD for, auto-toggling the minimap. I hate having it in general, but it's absolutely necessary for driving around. But Limited HUD covers a lot of other UI items as well and it's worth getting it even if you gotta dig around in its .json to configure it. You can have a completely HUD-less screen with components only popping in the right situation.

The game isn't bad, just mediocre on every level. Everything in it some game before already did better.
Agreed, been saying it all along, it's not terrible, just middling across the board. The only thing terrible about is what an utterly wasted opportunity it was.

Exploration is worse in Cyberpunk 2077 than in The Witcher 3

To be fair, cities are just not as innately pleasant or interesting to humans as variable wilds and wide open expanses. We like things like 'forest bathing' for a reason. Eventually the oddities of NC become almost mundane when we acclimatise to them. Same as moving to any new city that seems novel at first. We seem to tire less of natural landscapes.
It's not that, it's a combination of extreme level-scaled design that trivialises loot, thus disincentiving exploration, and the structuring of spaces and interactions, like he mentioned further down his list. CBP's Night City, like the settings of GTA or Saint's Row and other games like that, is fundamentally designed as an outdoors space where most of what you see is essentially decor. That works fine for TW3, contextually, but it creates a level of dissonance in an urban setting because you instinctively expect a greater degree of interactivity from shops and people than you do from ravines and squirrels.

Comparatively, spaces like DX4's Prague and, to a lesser degree, even Fo4's crumbling Boston don't feel anywhere near as sterile and superficial because those games are designed with a completely different approach to interactivity and the balance of indoors and outdoors spaces. In CDPR's defense, it would be a daunting undertaking to try and build anything approaching that nature of space on a scale and density befitting Night City, but between how they structured the game space and other issues to do with navigation, gameplay systems and object affordances, it's obvious they didn't even try. Design-wise, they just slapped neon trims on a gigantic Novigrad and figured it would be enough. It wasn't.

P.S. We like "forest bathing" because we're all drowning in a sea of filthy concrete from birth. If you lived most of your life in the forest, you'd love the occasional "city bathing" and marvel at the remarkable scarcity of mosquitoes.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
To be fair, cities are just not as innately pleasant or interesting to humans as variable wilds and wide open expanses. We like things like 'forest bathing' for a reason.
Untitled.jpg

Eventually the oddities of NC become almost mundane when we acclimatise to them. Same as moving to any new city that seems novel at first. We seem to tire less of natural landscapes.
Untitled.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
It's amazing how context can change perception of something. This was part of ost that i didn't really care much for from C77 ost. But in edgerunners it was used perfectly so much so that it became one of top 3 pieces in whole OST for me. And i don't really like this style in first place.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Adam Smasher was much better in the cartoon his boss battle in the game is way too easy.

The show really delivers on the gore. People's heads exploding with brain bits flying all around. Guts getting eviscerated. Blood implosions. People getting beheaded. Open surgery of body. Shit's wild. Only an1mes I saw where they didn't hold back on that kind of gore was Gantz and Elfen Lied.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Adam Smasher was much better in the cartoon his boss battle in the game is way too easy.

The show really delivers on the gore. People's heads exploding with brain bits flying all around. Guts getting eviscerated. Blood implosions. People getting beheaded. Open surgery of body. Shit's wild. Only an1mes I saw where they didn't hold back on that kind of gore was Gantz and Elfen Lied.

Not sure if I already mentioned it in this thread but that really weirded me out since it's Studio Trigger. Even Kill la Kill with it's constant near nudity was wholesome. Edgerunners is pure degeneracy (the fun kind)

Herumor

Scholar
Does the game world feel more alive now? Has anything been changed in that regard? It always struck odd at how little you could actually interact with anything or anyone in Night City.

orcinator

Liturgist
Only an1mes I saw where they didn't hold back on that kind of gore was Gantz and Elfen Lied.
check out Genocyber
90's was full of gorey ovas, the challenge is finding something that has that level of gore after 2010s; your animu facebook group probably has a list with Genocyber, Kite and the usual stuff but they don't know 'bout Zombie Shoujo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom