Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Photorealism > jrpg homosexual aesthetics.
10 hour movies > 2 hour movies
Apples and oranges. A good looking movie > a bad looking one, all other things being equal.
Not really. They're both superficial qualities to the respective mediums. A 10 hour movie can be good but it's not good because of its length. A game with extreme graphic fidelity can be good but it's not good because of its graphical realism.

And in both cases it can detract from the other good qualities that are much more core to experiencing the respective mediums. A game that has too much to do, too much detail to take in and experience overwhelms the brain and takes away from the superexperience, and resultantly needs to employ aids like glowing trails, objective markers and other visual means to put on you on the path of where you're supposed to be navigating and what you're supposed to be interacting with, because you wouldn't be able to tell. Contrary to a game that instead stresses all the right things you're supposed to be getting from the experience and gets you to intuit it with how video games are actually played. A movie fixes your eyes at what you're supposed to be looking at, a game doesn't, and if it does (PRESS RT TO LOOK AT THING), it can go kill itself.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is the game really still that mediocre? I knew it had a rough and tepid release and that Edgerunners gave it more life, so to speak, but did it get better after the new patch?

Besides the opening, I haven't found anything I really loved yet. Haven't found that much I really hated either. So mediocre seems like a remarkably appropriate term.
What a shame.

I'm pretty surprised CDPR haven't patched it into goodness, considering how long it has been.

There’s not much to patch. The problem is mostly writing, presentation, quest design. The game plays “fine”, which is actually a step up from Witcher 3. But besides the first five hours, everything from main quest to side quests have been okay, but nothing really stands put as incredibly memorable, poignant or remarkable. There are few surprises and interesting concepts being explored than you’d expect from a game about a dystopia.

It’s okay though. I’m playing it. I like the Cyberpunk and all the characters and plots are servicable. Tag along Keanu Reeves is way less annoying than everybody said he would be.

It just never really goes higher than that (at least not yet). And you’re even more on rails in the dialogue than in TW3 - game could really, really use more reactivity. There’s very little.

The opener quests through The Heist are excellently written and presented though. Still missing any meaningful interaction from the player, but they’re full of tension, good characters, they draw you into the Cyberpunk vibes. I really felt one of the key story beats emotionally, didn’t see it coming at all and it was fantastically presented. Just doesn’t keep that standard. Maybe all the TW3 writers got promoted to managers.

Then again, HoS was incredible but B&W was less good, so maybe the problems started earlier.

From reading about this game, you’d think it was a disaster. Truth seems to be much worse. It’s just… whatever.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Whoever said something about daytime is fucking bang on though. From the first screenshots I was like “whytf is everything daylit in this game” and yeah, it’s every bit as baffling when you play as it looks like it would be on paper. They have crafted a beautifully convincing cyberpunk world and then they cover it all in bright sunlight which makes you feel like you’re just driving through downtown LA except everybody has kind of a weird fashion sense

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Whoever said something about daytime is fucking bang on though. From the first screenshots I was like “whytf is everything daylit in this game” and yeah, it’s every bit as baffling when you play as it looks like it would be on paper. They have crafted a beautifully convincing cyberpunk world and then they cover it all in bright sunlight which makes you feel like you’re just driving through downtown LA except everybody has kind of a weird fashion sense
Problem solved all it takes is one click...

o4rau2e4v2i81.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
With the release of the mod toolkit, are there any worthwhile projects to keep an eye on? Modders adapting PnP modules or overhauling gameplay? Already in the works/too early to say/will never happen?
Futa horsecocks and other pointless shit more likely.

Vatnik Wumao
Photorealism > jrpg homosexual aesthetics.
10 hour movies > 2 hour movies
Apples and oranges. A good looking movie > a bad looking one, all other things being equal.
Not really. They're both superficial qualities to the respective mediums. A 10 hour movie can be good but it's not good because of its length. A game with extreme graphic fidelity can be good but it's not good because of its graphical realism.

And in both cases it can detract from the other good qualities that are much more core to experiencing the respective mediums. A game that has too much to do, too much detail to take in and experience overwhelms the brain and takes away from the superexperience, and resultantly needs to employ aids like glowing trails, objective markers and other visual means to put on you on the path of where you're supposed to be navigating and what you're supposed to be interacting with, because you wouldn't be able to tell. Contrary to a game that instead stresses all the right things you're supposed to be getting from the experience and gets you to intuit it with how video games are actually played. A movie fixes your eyes at what you're supposed to be looking at, a game doesn't, and if it does (PRESS RT TO LOOK AT THING), it can go kill itself.
I'm not talking about RTX nonsense when invoking photorealism, just contrasting the typical sort of photorealistic style that a lot of Western games go for with the cartoonish style emblematic of many Japanese games (which is not the only cartoonish style possible, but a particularly Japanese or perhaps broadly East Asian one). It just looks lame, particularly in character designs.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you're interested in a more somber, E3-presentation-like look for CP2077, this mod might be what you're looking for. There have been some bugs reported about it, and it requires REDmod, but it does look somewhat impressive.

5140-1662517385-799951453.png

Spukrian

Savant
I watched the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners aneemoo. I didn't like it. I couldn't relate to the main character... what is his goal...? what is his motivation...? The animation is mostly good, there were a some times when I felt it was low-effort... To be honest, I disliked most of the music, I felt that it wasn't "cyberpunk" enough.

Take my opinion with (quite) a (few) grain(s) of salt. I usually don't watch aneyemay shows.

Also, I haven't played the game... yet.

Zeriel

Arcane
Have they finally fixed the police, or they still spawn out of the blue and not chase you in car? No car shooting mechanics, no road blockades?

1st of all it was never any argument because you don't fight with police at all in game unless you start mowing down people. I finished 3 times with 1.0 version and never had issue with police as there wasn't single time when i need to mow down peds.

They did patch police to not spawn closely anymore. They now spawn as normal peds among crowd and when you start mowing down shit they do fight with you and run after you.

There are no car chases nor blockades. That is supposed to be patched in 2.0 version with expansion.

This ignores the basic fact that CDPR chose to throw pedestrians everywhere in the middle of gang fights, and if you accidentally hit anyone the cops start spawning on top of you to kill you. It's just a shitty gameplay loop in general. They should have made citizens immune to damage, since there's no gameplay associated with it, it exists solely to punish the player.

I could eventually kill all cops, including maxtac instantly, but even then it was still annoying as fuck because there is nothing to it except being constantly pestered. They don't drop any loot, you don't get anything for killing them, they never stop spawning except for a basic cooldown of like 10 seconds when you kill max-tac. Even games of 22~ years ago like BG1 did guards better than this. They deserve so much shit for this godawful system, they could have ripped it out and it would have been an improvement.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Have they finally fixed the police, or they still spawn out of the blue and not chase you in car? No car shooting mechanics, no road blockades?

1st of all it was never any argument because you don't fight with police at all in game unless you start mowing down people. I finished 3 times with 1.0 version and never had issue with police as there wasn't single time when i need to mow down peds.

They did patch police to not spawn closely anymore. They now spawn as normal peds among crowd and when you start mowing down shit they do fight with you and run after you.

There are no car chases nor blockades. That is supposed to be patched in 2.0 version with expansion.

This ignores the basic fact that CDPR chose to throw pedestrians everywhere in the middle of gang fights, and if you accidentally hit anyone the cops start spawning on top of you to kill you. It's just a shitty gameplay loop in general. They should have made citizens immune to damage, since there's no gameplay associated with it, it exists solely to punish the player.

I could eventually kill all cops, including maxtac instantly, but even then it was still annoying as fuck because there is nothing to it except being constantly pestered. They don't drop any loot, you don't get anything for killing them, they never stop spawning except for a basic cooldown of like 10 seconds when you kill max-tac. Even games of 22~ years ago like BG1 did guards better than this. They deserve so much shit for this godawful system, they could have ripped it out and it would have been an improvement.
Or they could program civilians to run away from the firefight.
Making them immortal is like beth tier shit.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I watched the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners aneemoo. I didn't like it. I couldn't relate to the main character... what is his goal...? what is his motivation...? The animation is mostly good, there were a some times when I felt it was low-effort... To be honest, I disliked most of the music, I felt that it wasn't "cyberpunk" enough.

Take my opinion with (quite) a (few) grain(s) of salt. I usually don't watch aneyemay shows.

Also, I haven't played the game... yet.
That's the point, he didn't have a motivation. One of his flaws is that he kept following other people's dreams. He's a lost kid who fell to Night City's underbelly due to a series of unfortunate circumstances.
The other characters flat out criticize him for it.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

Or they could program civilians to run away from the firefight.
Making them immortal is like beth tier shit.

The fundamental problem is the consequences-and-benefits-less eternal cop spam. Making civs run away wouldn't fix the easy AoE gibs that inevitably happen with them being part of group combat. There are even entire tranches of content that intentionally have civs being involved with gangbangers, like the "save a civ" minitasks.

Gargaune

Arcane
They should have made citizens immune to damage
No.

they could have ripped it out and it would have been an improvement
Yes.

Don't fix one halfarsed mechanic by halfarsing another mechanic. For all the bitching about what the police system could've been or should've been, I'll never understand how CDPR landed on borrowing Saints Row 3's most annoying feature with these ridiculous cop swarms, and yes, they should've just skipped it altogether by that point.

Perkel

Arcane
I could eventually kill all cops, including maxtac instantly, but even then it was still annoying as fuck because there is nothing to it except being constantly pestered. They don't drop any loot, you don't get anything for killing them, they never stop spawning except for a basic cooldown of like 10 seconds when you kill max-tac.

Almost as if developers intended it to be punishment for killing civilians rather than main GTA gameplay...

Gargaune

Arcane
I could eventually kill all cops, including maxtac instantly, but even then it was still annoying as fuck because there is nothing to it except being constantly pestered. They don't drop any loot, you don't get anything for killing them, they never stop spawning except for a basic cooldown of like 10 seconds when you kill max-tac.

Almost as if developers intended it to be punishment for killing civilians rather than main GTA gameplay...
More as if they'd intended nothing of the sort but ran out of resources and went "fuck fuck fuck, make something quick, we ship in three hours!"

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

True, but throwing civilians in a position where they will be killed sounds like a dick move.
Now it could be that it's not as bad as he makes it out to be. Never got a copy of 2077, so I don't really know. But if it's that easy to kill civilians by accident and if the cops spawn that easily and aggressively, then that just sounds like poor design.

Zeriel

Arcane

Ah yes punishing you for thing the designers guarantee you will do, seems smart

Gargaune

Arcane
But if it's that easy to kill civilians by accident and if the cops spawn that easily and aggressively, then that just sounds like poor design.
In all fairness, it hasn't happened that often to me, probably because I've favoured stealth approaches and alpha strikes over going Rambo. The problem isn't the civvies, it's the ludicrous police system, calling it "poor design" is being generous.

Did you know all civilians despawn when you look away? Their implementation is the laziest thing ever.
It's an aggressive optimisation technique, probably pushed above and beyond to cram the damn thing into the last console gen's laptop hardware. They did genuinely improve the culling with patch 1.5 over release, but it's still not really fit for purpose.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Did you know all civilians despawn when you look away? Their implementation is the laziest thing ever.

No, they don't and never were on PC. That was exclusive to PS4/Xbox version of game because they had to do something about that shitty hardware that clearly wasn't capable of running it well. Stuff also popped in directly before you if you were driving fast to point where you were hitting invisible object that had their physical body loaded but not their model or textures.

True, but throwing civilians in a position where they will be killed sounds like a dick move.
Now it could be that it's not as bad as he makes it out to be. Never got a copy of 2077, so I don't really know. But if it's that easy to kill civilians by accident and if the cops spawn that easily and aggressively, then that just sounds like poor design.

No one asks you to shot enemies through crowd. Shouldn't that be part of factor in how you approach situation ? If you know you have police on your ass when you start shooting blindly maybe you should consider different strategy.

Default spawn mechanic sure was annoying but after changes where they made it much more like GTA now mowing down peds have almost 0 consequences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom