Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Takamori

Learned
I watched the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners aneemoo. I didn't like it. I couldn't relate to the main character... what is his goal...? what is his motivation...? The animation is mostly good, there were a some times when I felt it was low-effort... To be honest, I disliked most of the music, I felt that it wasn't "cyberpunk" enough.

Take my opinion with (quite) a (few) grain(s) of salt. I usually don't watch aneyemay shows.

Also, I haven't played the game... yet.
Well the point is that he is totally broken inside, he has no will to live even when his mother was alive. So basically he lived others people dreams, Maine, Lucy and his mother.
I guess his only motivation was to tell the world he existed so he went out in style?

Gargaune

Arcane
Did you know all civilians despawn when you look away? Their implementation is the laziest thing ever.

No, they don't and never were on PC. That was exclusive to PS4/Xbox version of game because they had to do something about that shitty hardware that clearly wasn't capable of running it well. Stuff also popped in directly before you if you were driving fast to point where you were hitting invisible object that had their physical body loaded but not their model or textures.
1) You quoted the wrong person there.
2) It absolutely was a problem on the PC too, the game would aggressively despawn ambient NPCs and vehicles out of the viewing frustum, entire crowds would flash in and out or cycle when you turned your head. Often, I'd throw an inconsiderate sleeping motorist out of his car, but the lucky bastard would despawn before I could run him over with his own wheels. There was even a mod that attempted to fix the issue, but patch 1.5 somewhat mitigated the problem (it still happens, but not on the industrial scale it used to).

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
adPNjXB_700bwp.webp

Perkel

Arcane
2) It absolutely was a problem on the PC too, the game would aggressively despawn ambient NPCs and vehicles out of the viewing frustum, entire crowds would flash in and out or cycle when you turned your head. Often, I'd throw an inconsiderate sleeping motorist out of his car, but the lucky bastard would despawn before I could run him over with his own wheels. There was even a mod that attempted to fix the issue, but patch 1.5 somewhat mitigated the problem (it still happens, but not on the industrial scale it used to).

1. Blame shitty rpgcodex forum framework. That is third framework since 2007 and its even worse than previous one. Which is a lot worse than that from 2007.

2. Maybe this is just case of low quality setting in options ? Like i said i have never seen npcs or cars despawning just because you didn't look at them for a second. They all follow spawn/despawn via area rather than camera. And it was like that since 1.0 not from 1.5.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

1. Blame shitty rpgcodex forum framework. That is third framework since 2007 and its even worse than previous one. Which is a lot worse than that from 2007.

2. Maybe this is just case of low quality setting in options ? Like i said i have never seen npcs or cars despawning just because you didn't look at them for a second. They all follow spawn/despawn via area rather than camera. And it was like that since 1.0 not from 1.5.
Somewhere in this thread, I have a post about playing on one of the early patches (might even be 1.0, I don't remember) and having cops disappearing because I took cover -- while I was in a fire fight with them. All of a sudden shooting and grenades stopped, because the entire group despawned.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Whoever said something about daytime is fucking bang on though. From the first screenshots I was like “whytf is everything daylit in this game” and yeah, it’s every bit as baffling when you play as it looks like it would be on paper. They have crafted a beautifully convincing cyberpunk world and then they cover it all in bright sunlight which makes you feel like you’re just driving through downtown LA except everybody has kind of a weird fashion sense
Problem solved all it takes is one click...
In my sole playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077, as I've noted here before, I took to skipping most daylight hours via the wait button, so that I could drastically increase the proportion of time playing while it was night or raining. Regardless, this was a truly bone-headed decision on their part, to have daylight hours last longer than is physically possible at Night City's latitude even on the summer solstice, and to have so little rain in Night City contrary to the setting lore, when the urban environment they created is quite beautiful at night or in the rain but not when being overwhelmed by the harsh daylight. They completely failed to understand cyberpunk aesthetics generally and the specific aesthetics they replicated in the game:

tpujt4.jpg

KVVRR

Learned
Replaying this again because I watched a few gameplay videos and I wanted to try a new build. I'm still surprised with the amount of detail and verticality the city itself offers, while you can't actually interact with a lot of it you can get to a lot of places so many other games would just cut you off from with an invisible wall. And most of these places are visually detailed too, meaning they actually were placed at least partially by hand which is no easy feat on a map as big and dense as this one. Makes me wonder why they cut stuff like the mantis blade wall crawl though, since the super jump/ double jump already trivializes most of the game's missions even on the hardest difficulty. Even then there are a lot of missions that fully expect you to find an alternative run just climbing and jumping around.

I really hope the expansion won't be the last or that they at least have a plan to port the city to unreal engine or whatever they're using on a future sequel. It'd be a crying shame to have to lose what seems to have been put on the most work on by the devs out of the entire project

Wesp5

Arcane
Ah yes punishing you for thing the designers guarantee you will do, seems smart

That reminds me of Dishonored: giving the player all these great deadly tools, but when they use them Chaos goes up and they will get bad endings without them knowing why.

Wesp5

Arcane
No one asks you to shot enemies through crowd. Shouldn't that be part of factor in how you approach situation?

Exactly. I always managed to avoid shootouts with the police, and in the rare cases I got unlucky, I loaded a save :)!

Zeriel

Arcane
Whoever said something about daytime is fucking bang on though. From the first screenshots I was like “whytf is everything daylit in this game” and yeah, it’s every bit as baffling when you play as it looks like it would be on paper. They have crafted a beautifully convincing cyberpunk world and then they cover it all in bright sunlight which makes you feel like you’re just driving through downtown LA except everybody has kind of a weird fashion sense
In my sole playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077, as I've noted here before, I took to skipping most daylight hours via the wait button, so that I could drastically increase the proportion of time playing while it was night or raining. Regardless, this was a truly bone-headed decision on their part, to have daylight hours last longer than is physically possible at Night City's latitude even on the summer solstice, and to have so little rain in Night City contrary to the setting lore, when the urban environment they created is quite beautiful at night or in the rain but not when being overwhelmed by the harsh daylight. They completely failed to understand cyberpunk aesthetics generally and the specific aesthetics they replicated in the game:

tpujt4.jpg

There were so many defenses of this. "It takes place in California, it's in the lore!" Which is true, but it's not how the tabletop game is supposed to be played. The climate is sunny, but the aesthetic is grim & downcast. This is even explicitly described in the tabletop handbooks, and one of the first videos they used to advertise the game showcasing the tabletop writer was him talking about Seattle at night-time, which is a very gloomy place, and how that was always a main influence on his work.

Saying CDPR is full of shit at this point is kicking the skeleton of the horse, though. Maybe the whole "They wanted to clone GTA and have its fans" meme was 100% true.

Zeriel

Arcane
Did you know all civilians despawn when you look away? Their implementation is the laziest thing ever.

No, they don't and never were on PC. That was exclusive to PS4/Xbox version of game because they had to do something about that shitty hardware that clearly wasn't capable of running it well. Stuff also popped in directly before you if you were driving fast to point where you were hitting invisible object that had their physical body loaded but not their model or textures.

Yeah to be clear there was very little difference in PC & console code, that was a lot of the problem of the game actually. They kept making it worse in patches for PC until very recently, because any change for console was also a change for PC, and they were just haphazardly gutting stuff in the game to make it "work" better on consoles.

Unified platforms are a shit.

KVVRR

Learned
Is it possible to beat the game without augments? Can I just go Jetstream Sam?
You have to take at least one augmentation early on in the story but other than that perks should be more than enough for you to steamroll through the game. It's not particullary hard.

Gargaune

Arcane
Nope, I ran everything on maximum except for Medium crowd density, High RTX and disabled rubbish like motion blur and whatnot. i7-9700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070, running on an SSD with a 50-capped framerate, so it's not like I was pushing the thing on my grandma's sewing machine. Despawning ambient NPCs were commonplace for me prior to 1.5, and it was a pretty notorious behaviour in the community.

tpujt4.jpg

There were so many defenses of this. "It takes place in California, it's in the lore!" Which is true, but it's not how the tabletop game is supposed to be played. The climate is sunny, but the aesthetic is grim & downcast. This is even explicitly described in the tabletop handbooks, and one of the first videos they used to advertise the game showcasing the tabletop writer was him talking about Seattle at night-time, which is a very gloomy place, and how that was always a main influence on his work.

Saying CDPR is full of shit at this point is kicking the skeleton of the horse, though. Maybe the whole "They wanted to clone GTA and have its fans" meme was 100% true.
To top it all off, the artists did know what that sort of cyberpunk looks like, you can see glimpses of it in Johnny's flashbacks or the Blade Runner easter egg. But they just chose to set their game in nanotech Miami. Such a gratuitous mistake.

Is it possible to beat the game without augments? Can I just go Jetstream Sam?
You have to take at least one augmentation early on in the story but other than that perks should be more than enough for you to steamroll through the game. It's not particullary hard.
Even perks aren't really essential. The meat and potatoes of your power curve is actually just level via scaling gear.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Really? That sounds kind of lame. Sounds like they kind of copied Borderlands there.
How much grinding is there?

None or alot. Dude, it's The Witcher. Your level is 70-80% of combat stats, and you can do just main quests, main quests and side quests or all of the shitty dots-on-the-map content. If you've played TW3, you know the drill

RepHope

Savant
Fda82rCWIAASAKe

Jesus Christ, I guess they somehow fucking turned it around. More anime tie in shows coming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom