Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CDP still rocks / TW2 incoming

RainSong

Scholar
Gamebanshee were lucky enough to catch Tom Ohle and Mateusz Kanik, employees of the greates crpg developer evah! for an interview:

GB: PC gamers seem to be a bit worried about your decision to port The Witcher to consoles. If RotWW is more successful than the original Witcher was, wouldn't it be fair to say that you may start focusing primarily on consoles in your future games? After watching PC-favoring companies like BioWare and Bethesda Softworks make the switch to console-preferred development (and even console-exclusive for a period of time in BioWare's latest games), why should we believe CD Projekt will be any different?

Tom: I don’t think it’s fair to say that we’ll start focusing on console development. Granted, the companies you mentioned could have made this same claim, but we got our start on the PC and we’re still fully committed to the platform. We love playing PC games, and we’ll continue to work on games that take advantage of the PC’s strengths. That’s really easy to say, and I know that PC gamers have been burned in the past by companies with similar “commitments.” All I can do is point to stuff like GOG.com and our work on The Witcher: Enhanced Edition to show our dedication to the platform.

there, it should set every disbeliever at ease.

CDP still rocks on!! fap fap fap

GB: You've stated previously that you have two other unannounced projects in development. Is there anything you can tell us about either of these at this point? When do you expect to be ready for an official announcement?

Tom: There’s not a ton I can say about the unannounced projects right now… as we’ve alluded to, there’s a good chance that one or both of those will help to quell PC gamers’ fears. Right now we’re focusing our marketing and PR attention on Rise of the White Wolf, as that’s obviously going to be a big title for us, but we’re naturally interested in revisiting the Witcher universe. We’ve put a lot of work into building up the license as a gaming property, and it’d be a shame to see all that work go to waste :). We’ll probably share some of our plans at some point next year… when, I can’t really say.

best rpg of 2009 - TW: RotWW
best rpg of 2010 - TW2

fap fap fap

ps: there isn't really anything interesting beside this two questions in the interview so you really don't need to visit Gamebanshee

Mayday

Augur
Matt7895 said:
Caveman said:
Konjad said:
Caveman said:
but Witcher is not RPG...

What is then?

Witcher is action adventure game.

Role playing game is a game where you can play different roles imo.

By that definition, Team Fortress 2 is an RPG.

Caveman's definition is a bit imperfect. Should be:
"you can choose different types of gameplay based on your character"
So TF2 is not an RPG because no matter what your character is, the gameplay still revolves mostly around shooting.
Fallout on the other hand allows you to choose between combat, diplomacy and (very rarely) stealth.

Oblivion and Diablo are not RPGs because all you can do (gameplay wise) is fight (this is what we call hack'n'slash games).

Mayday

Augur
Come on, hiver, this is what the place is for! :P

CF: it is possible to have an RPG without character development.

BONUS NOTE: if you have to resort to sentences like '' end. period. end of discussion. nothing u can say." to uphold your opinion, then it's a good hint that you're wrong.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
zomg what is an rpg discussion!

Don't forget that rpg also let you choose between being a man or a female, so PS:T isn't an rpg.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Kavax said:
Don't forget that you have to save the world at least once.

And for that reason only, the Witcher can't be considered a genuine RPG, right? :cool:

Rhalle

Magister
If Witcher 2 is ported from console engine to PC, they shall receive my undying and everlasting scorn.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy fucking shit not another "What is RPG" discussion! This leads nowhere, because the definition of RPG can be stretched farther than goatse-man's anus.

Mayday

Augur
JarlFrank said:
Holy fucking shit not another "What is RPG" discussion! This leads nowhere, because the definition of RPG can be stretched farther than goatse-man's anus.

That's because you guys suck at discussing things.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Cloaked Figure said:
an rpg game is a game wit char dev and multiple endings that is all nothin gmre no less. end. period. end of discussion. nothing u can say.

So if there is only one ending, its not a RPG?
That eliminates just about everything except a small handfold off games

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mayday said:
JarlFrank said:

That's because you guys suck at discussing things.

And because RPG is really hard to define because of its many rather different subgenres.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom