Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Chefe does Fallout 3 @ the Codex

RainSong

Scholar
Chefe said:
Most of the bad dialog really isn’t that bad if you stop to think that the person you’re talking to just might be crazy
Now we know the author of this

Decline of teh codex

Marsal said:
Chefe How much did they pay you? ;)

ye, I didn't spend a minute with Fallout 3 but even without playing it I have enough knowledge about it features to understand that Chefe was running on a healthy dose of curative fluids when writing it.

Now I'm not saying he is a Sellout bitch, maybe he was captured by BFS (Bethestapo Fanboy Squadron) and they injected him with it. Maybe just now he is being tortured with Inon Zur's music constantly playing in his little cell and waiting for the rescue from Codex...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Did you play a legal version of F3, or the Russian Torrent of F3, Chef?

Just curious.

I do not agree with you on your "review". But I felt I was well written.

RainSong

Scholar
accidental post, sry

Reon-Kadena-64.jpg

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I barely speak english. But review is too wordy and not enough lulz. In before Vince's review knock you off.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The review is a linguistic wankfest, and from what I've heard and seen in second-hand material, I really don't agree with many of the points.

'the wasteland is empty and desolate' - and apparently, you can't walk 5 steps without running into something

never heard the voice acting, but I've seen people saying it blows

'game is filled with numerous skill checks' - yeah, a shame most of them are there for the sake of being there.

'imagine the person with bad dialogues is crazy' - what the hell...

'a world becomes barren. There are no forests to enjoy, no wildlife to interact with' - wut + 'Birds chirp'

'combat can be tough' vs 'VATS can completely eliminate challenges in some areas and bad enemy AI can do the same in Real Time.' - wut

Deleted member 7219

WAAAAH SOMEONE LIKED THE GAME I AM DETERMINED TO HATE WITHOUT PLAYING IT WAAAAH

made

Arcane
Quality review, no doubt.

"If the dialogue sucks, it's because the NPC is retarded!"

I don't think I've seen this logic before, even from the worst kind of fanboy apologists.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, it was a great choice to have Chefe write a review. We all know he was convinced FO3 was awesome for months now. I think VD's LP is the most interesting view on FO3 so far.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Nice review. This and Vince's stuff are all we have so far to combat the dishonest 10/10's that keep spewing from the mouths of the mainstream review sites.

I've never been so disappointed in GameRevolution in my life. Ah well. My own fault for being a sucker.

Chefe

Erudite
inwoker said:
I barely speak english. But review is too wordy and not enough lulz. In before Vince's review knock you off.

Oh, of course. I'm looking forward to another review filled with developer quotes, spoilers, and whining.

"Wah! It's not Fallout!"

Yea, it's better. Just like Fallout was better than Wasteland. Maybe I'm not feeling the butthurt all these idiots are feeling because, guess what, I never really cared much for the original game. Dialogs were disjointed, characters didn't seem to care, too many ghost choices, complete lack of difficulty on all levels, and a bunch of other crap.

It's great when, after I help Killian kill Gizmo, that fucker at the front gate still doesn't let me in because I'm "a stranger." That's roleplaying! How about after I slaughter the entire raider camp and make the mistake of talking to Tandi before I open her cell? She says the same damn thing as she did before I mercilessly slaughtered 20 people in front of her eyes. "YOU, fight HIM? You've got to be joking!" No, you stupid skank! Of course I did not just put a bullet into his face. That's why we can easily walk out right now, because his entire crew isn't lying in pools of their own blood. That's roleplaying! Oh, oh, I know! What about when even the simplest of fights can take too fucking long because Dogshit has to make twenty moves per turn? It's real immersive when you first get that canine douchebag, too. I'm usually decked out in a spiffy leather jacket and just entered Junktown, and he automatically follows me while I get magical XP for helping fix the dog problem I've never heard about. lolwut? Those glowing ghouls in Necropolis are the best. They are gathered around a dead human that apparently tried to mess with something, yet I can walk right past them, steal the water chip, and walk right back, while stopping to say hello. And let's not forget about after you deliver the water chip. You suddenly know everything there is to know about the FEV and Supermutants, even if you only had encountered those two at the watershed. Of course, I wouldn't want to forget the memorable Cathedral scene where you can just walk around breaking into rooms and no one does shit... maybe that traitor bitch should have just tried that instead of hiding out in the room and complaining that these people were too suspicious, because they obviously aren't. What about the Brotherhood? That's one hell of a rewarding experience there! Wait... was that even an experience? What the fuck? Nothing happened! "Oh, it's the end of the game, just go kill the mutants and get this crap over with." That's roleplaying!

These complaints about the skill checks not being deep enough and the PC switching personalities is really fucking funny. In the original Fallout, the PC just doesn't switch personalities and intelligence levels between dialog, he sometimes does it within the dialog too! And skillchecks? Please. In the original there's maybe a charisma check here and there. Pumping speech pretty much means "YOU WIN!" in the game of dialog. Otherwise you'll have to keep reloading until the coin randomly lands in your favor. "I don't believe you! Die!" Reload. "I don't believe you! Die!" Reload. "I don't believe you. Die!" Reload. "Okay, you can pass." SAVE. Not that any of it matters, since the gameworld doesn't fucking react, but at least you get those extra caps or fade to black sex and can pretend you're a manly man in your imaginary roleplaying world where this game isn't an overhyped nostalgic shitfest.

The best part, though, is going to an area before the game wants you to go there. You suddenly know everything! Then, you go back to the "starting" areas like Shady Sands, and you're ignorant again. That's roleplaying.

I can't complete this without mentioning the funniest part I've ever found. After you slaughter the entire Skulz gang in the bar with teh coppers, go talk to Sherry. Just do it. That's motherfucking roleplaying!

I almost forgot to mention how most skills and perks are useless. Tag Barter, Energy Weapons, and First Aid, then try to make it past the rats in the first dungeon. I dare you.

Fuck Fallout. I shouldn't have lied, saying things like Fallout begged you to go off the beaten path, because it obviously does the exact opposite, but I did it for you ever-loving fuckers. I should have instead talked about how Fallout 3 totally kicks Fallout's ass in the award for least retarded gameplay experience.

I'm finally playing Fallout 2 right now and you know my verdict? Same shit, different day.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Chefe said:
inwoker said:

Oh, of course. I'm looking forward to another review filled with developer quotes, spoilers, and whining.
Spoilers and whining? Care to elaborate, my good man?

"Wah! It's not Fallout!"

Yea, it's better. Just like Fallout was better than Wasteland. Maybe I'm not feeling the butthurt all these idiots are feeling because, guess what, I never really cared much for the original game. Dialogs were disjointed, characters didn't seem to care, too many ghost choices, complete lack of difficulty on all levels, and a bunch of other crap.
:declineofthecodex:

Fuck Fallout. I shouldn't have lied, saying things like Fallout begged you to go off the beaten path, because it obviously does the exact opposite, but I did it for you ever-loving fuckers. I should have instead talked about how Fallout 3 totally kicks Fallout's ass in the award for least retarded gameplay experience.
Should have. Would have been more entertaining.

made

Arcane
Ever since the Codex ran out of editors (ie. VD), DU is desperate to put anything at all on the frontpage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom