Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Chris Avellone and Project Eternity at Rezzed 2013

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's magic, stupid!

From what we've seen so far I think PE's artstyle is just as different from BG, as BG is from IWD and PT. It's more round, wooden and obviously detailed. Screaming that it's just a BG mod is retarded, but it is IE-like, no doubt.

Although this screen:
Zi3jj1m.jpg

is ugly. I don't like the stones' texture at all, and the ground looks copy-pasted. BG surfaces looked way more diverse and detailed.

20-20.jpg

It migh be just an early version. And the resolution is low. Still...

Rake

Arcane
It's magic, stupid!

It migh be just an early version. And the resolution is low. Still...

Yes, it's an early version. It's done with the engine, but no artist has handpainted over it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck you and your Gothic. People like you who comb through old threads to dig up meaningless shit are just pathetic...
If not for people like this, we would never get the FINISHED IT SEVEN TIMES meme.

The presentation was entertaining; MCA did a fine job (although he could ease up on memes) and the new stuff revealed is very promising. Seeing those screenshots provided me a huge nostalgia-fueled endorphin shot. Now I'm waiting for the promised early gameplay video in the vein of Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns, but I think it might still be some time away.

The info about publishers being interested in investing kickstarter-grade money into old school RPGs is quite a surprise. We'll see if something good comes from this, but there definitely is some posiblity for :incline: .

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Maybe the fact that now creators can always turn to kickstarter will force editors (at least those that may consider funding this kind of project) not to be assholes...

Rake

Arcane
Maybe the fact that now creators can always turn to kickstarter will force editors (at least those that may consider funding this kind of project) not to be assholes...

That creates the question, why should a dev like Obsidian or inXile use a publiser to fund the product when they can always get the money from the playerbase and keep all the profits to themselves?
The only reason a can imagine is in the case of Obsidian wanting to do 3 or 4 games at the same time with these smaller teams, but with one kickstarted and another from the previous games' sales they could do it anyway.
Unless devs have a persentage of the profits, it stands to reason that only unknown teams will work with publisers like the M&M X from Ubisoft.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

That creates the question, why should a dev like Obsidian or inXile use a publiser to fund the product when they can always get the money from the playerbase and keep all the profits to themselves?
The only reason a can imagine is in the case of Obsidian wanting to do 3 or 4 games at the same time with these smaller teams, but with one kickstarted and another from the previous games' sales they could do it anyway.
Unless devs have a persentage of the profits, it stands to reason that only unknown teams will work with publisers like the M&M X from Ubisoft.
Well, with publisher you are guaranteed to be funded, obviously. Kickstarter...Obsidian and InXile had reputations that assured their success. Imagine BioWare now go for kickstarter and stating they'll make a BG3. Even if they say that they will do it Old-Style with tactical combat, deep and extensive dialogues, a lot of choices and stuff people will say "Fuck you, lol!" simple due to BioWare's reputation now residing in a gutter.

Rake

Arcane

Well, with publisher you are guaranteed to be funded, obviously. Kickstarter...Obsidian and InXile had reputations that assured their success. Imagine BioWare now go for kickstarter and stating they'll make a BG3. Even if they say that they will do it Old-Style with tactical combat, deep and extensive dialogues, a lot of choices and stuff people will say "Fuck you, lol!" simple due to BioWare's reputation now residing in a gutter.
If Bioware said that they want to make a game free of EA, the Biodrones would give them 10M

Arkeus

Arcane
Has there been any of the 'big funded' games coming out from Kickstarter yet? The way i see it, Kickstarter is pretty new currently, and we never know if its reputation couldn't get really bad because of failure of games.

Also, it will be much harder for new studios or unproven studios to pitch a 2-5m game on kickstarter, while if publishers see the Kickstarter formula working, new studios could 'get known' via publishers that way.

Cosmo

Arcane
Has there been any of the 'big funded' games coming out from Kickstarter yet?

No, but i think some companies, like Ubisoft with M&MX, are beginning to consider funding this type of game, the one that costs only from 1 to 4 millions. And to do that knowing that kickstarter exists, they'll have no other choice but to offer something more than this service does to developpers, be it security, more freedom than is usually allowed to creators, working with an existing IP, etc.
And maybe (one can dream) the industry will see the long-term benefits of using that type of project as a breeding ground for talent and some sort of R&D section (meaning they can take more risks, as the potential negative consequences are easier to mitigate)...

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Well Star Citizen reached 10kk in funding on their own in addition to kickstarter. That is a very considerable sum.

hiver

The real question is: what did he defend codex from?

What does Geraldo have against us, hm?

Cosmo

Arcane

I think it's pretty clear : behind all the misogyny, racism, shit-flinging and ad hominems, this is the only place where you can have thorough, valid discussions about RPGs, undisturbed by trends and corporate talk (the exact opposte of how Bioware speak of themselves for example).
I guess a lot of industry people diss the codex for that first, "hostile" impression, when in truth they absolutely fear to have discussions on equal ground about what they do and be possibly called on their bullshit on a professional level.

Septaryeth

Augur

I think it's pretty clear : behind all the misogyny, racism, shit-flinging and ad hominems, this is the only place where you can have thorough, valid discussions about RPGs, undisturbed by trends and corporate talk (the exact opposte of how Bioware speak of themselves for example).
I guess a lot of industry people diss the codex for that first, "hostile" impression, when in truth they absolutely fear to have discussions on equal ground about what they do and be possibly called on their bullshit on a professional level.

Ain't need no Codex for that. It seems they were already having problems within their own forum.

BioWare's "increasingly toxic" forum repels Dragon Age writer David Gaider

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...c-forum-repels-dragon-age-writer-david-gaider

Saw this months ago and it still makes me chuckle.

Oesophagus

Arcane

To be fair, the codex can be shocking for the unenlightened. Also, Poe's law - I still don't know whether Andhaira is real or fake

The info about publishers being interested in investing kickstarter-grade money into old school RPGs is quite a surprise. We'll see if something good comes from this, but there definitely is some posiblity for :incline: .

Or they realise that since they're paying off IGNs and the like anyway, they can cut on production costs, while still getting 10/10 GOTY reviews

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Or they realise that since they're paying off IGNs and the like anyway, they can cut on production costs, while still getting 10/10 GOTY reviews
Better a mere chance for a good game than nothing at all.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Some people just do not like the Avellone.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-project-eternity-black-isle/#comment-1296699

@RogerioFM… Why?
It’s about time we stopped giving Avellone a free pass.. YES, PS:T is my favourite game ever.. but it was some kind of divine convergence, because he’s done fuck all of any quality since then.
EVERYTHING he and his team touch turns to buggy broken shit…. SUPERB ideas.. fucking abysmal execution.
KOTOR2….. broken mess.. someone elses IP .. took years and an entire community to get to a playable state… it’s a good game NOW.. but that’s nothing to do with the state he left it in.
NWN2…. FUCKING broken mess… someone elses IP… how can someone so BADLY miss the point of this franchise?
ALPHA PROTOCOL… nice ideas, broken mess, dead IP
DUNGEON SIEGE 3.. did anyone actually play this broken mess?.. someone elses IP
..AND DON’T give me any shit about being the ‘publishers’ fault.. MY ARSE.. his rep, his job, his problem, buck stops there.
He’s only got 2 chances left EVER.. South Park (which SHOULD be impossible to fail at given the creators collaboration) and Project Eternity, looks promising, but so did EVERYTHING ELSE during development.
He’s more relevant as a meme these days, than an actual dev of anything worth playing out of the box. But it’s name recognition with the morons so the industry continues to give him a rimming.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate him as a person, I don’t know him well enough for that and TBH I don’t care to, but I absolutely DO fucking hate the bullshit and cult of personality that has grown up around him because looking at him without rose coloured glasses, he doesn’t deserve it.

Septaryeth

Augur
Some people just do not like the Avellone.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-project-eternity-black-isle/#comment-1296699

@RogerioFM… Why?
It’s about time we stopped giving Avellone a free pass.. YES, PS:T is my favourite game ever.. but it was some kind of divine convergence, because he’s done fuck all of any quality since then.
EVERYTHING he and his team touch turns to buggy broken shit…. SUPERB ideas.. fucking abysmal execution.
KOTOR2….. broken mess.. someone elses IP .. took years and an entire community to get to a playable state… it’s a good game NOW.. but that’s nothing to do with the state he left it in.
NWN2…. FUCKING broken mess… someone elses IP… how can someone so BADLY miss the point of this franchise?
ALPHA PROTOCOL… nice ideas, broken mess, dead IP
DUNGEON SIEGE 3.. did anyone actually play this broken mess?.. someone elses IP
..AND DON’T give me any shit about being the ‘publishers’ fault.. MY ARSE.. his rep, his job, his problem, buck stops there.
He’s only got 2 chances left EVER.. South Park (which SHOULD be impossible to fail at given the creators collaboration) and Project Eternity, looks promising, but so did EVERYTHING ELSE during development.
He’s more relevant as a meme these days, than an actual dev of anything worth playing out of the box. But it’s name recognition with the morons so the industry continues to give him a rimming.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate him as a person, I don’t know him well enough for that and TBH I don’t care to, but I absolutely DO fucking hate the bullshit and cult of personality that has grown up around him because looking at him without rose coloured glasses, he doesn’t deserve it.

:hmmm:
Put aside some strange, puzzling and circular logics surrounding this argument for the moment,
what this guy's view on the contents of Fallout NV?

Duraframe300

Arcane
I like how he says PS:T is his favourite game ever, then goes on to mention *someone elses IP* every time he can as if that had any meaning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom