Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Chris Taylor runs out of dungeons to siege

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gas Powered Games

It is said that Chris Taylor once looked at all the Dungeon Siege games he made and wept with sorrow, because there were no more dungeons left to siege. And then he <a href=http://www.sega.com/corporate/corporate.php?item=pr_20070706b>signed a deal with SEGA</a> to make Space Siege.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (July 6, 2007) – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced the development of Space Siege™ for the PC. Developed by Gas Powered Games, SEGA has tapped Chris Taylor’s creative prowess...</blockquote>Into what?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>...to create this engaging action-RPG title.</blockquote>As if there are other kinds these days.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Space Siege features a deep and compelling storyline, intense combat and a dynamic character development system. Space Siege is scheduled to ship for the PC in North America and Europe in Q1 of 2008.
<br>
<br>
Space Siege takes place in the confines of the Armstrong, one of the few remaining colonization ships carrying the last bastions of human civilization after a devastating attack on Earth from an unknown alien race. Players will take the role of Seth Walker, a cybernetics engineer suddenly thrust into a struggle to save humanity from extermination. As the adventure progresses Seth is offered opportunities to sacrifice pieces of his humanity for cybernetic upgrades that will assist him in his mission to preserve the human race. But what price will he pay to save his own humanity? </blockquote>If I know Seth well - and I do - he will sell his mother for every bit of upgrade, especially the unique ones, and try to shove an "itam" into his every orifice.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>“Chris Taylor and his talented team at Gas Powered Games are recognized as leading innovators in the industry,” said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. “Space Siege promises to be a compelling and innovative successor to the very popular Dungeon Siege franchise.”</blockquote>Innovators? Wasn't Dungeon Siege a crappy Diablo 2 rip-off? Unless "innovative" is an industry slang for "sold a shitload of copies".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Incorporating innovative cybernetic augmentations into its storyline, Space Siege explores the dilemmas faced while keeping one’s humanity in the face of adversity. Cybernetic augmentations can be performed on every part of Seth’s body. On the extreme end, players will be able to outfit Seth with cybernetic upgrades that will leave little or none of his original humanity intact. But this choice comes with the risk of alienating Seth from the people he’s trying to save. Players can also insist on preserving Seth’s humanity by not using upgrades, instead forging ahead clearing the Armstrong of its alien invaders with natural human ingenuity and strength. Such a decision will increase the difficulty of completing his mission of uncovering and eliminating the alien menace that’s bent on destroying the human race.</blockquote>Empty moral choices is all the rage these days.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, denizsi

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Their are some real consequences of choosing strength over intelligence. Just look at pete hines he is beast of a man but his brain makes his face look like hes in permanent shock.

Severian Silk

Their are some real consequences of choosing strength over intelligence. Just look at pete hines he is beast of a man but his brain makes his face look like hes in permanent shock.
Pics?

Anyway, the cybernetic stuff sounds somewhat interesting to me. Alone, a game it does not make, though.

Severian Silk

Dungeon Space? Space Dungeon? Space Dungeon Siege?

I stole this joke.

Araanor

Liturgist
I recall losing humanity (well, a charisma stat) with cybernetic implants/body parts was in a Swedish cyberpunk PnP game (Mutant). I'm sure it's used elsewhere too.

There's some grounding to the concept - feelings are closely linked to your body. Butterflies in the stomach, feeling light or heavy, the smile that lingers on your face and so on.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Somebody should use this training method to make chris taylor learn what games he should do and what game he shouldn't.

Choose a genre:

1. RTS
2. Action RPG

If 1. give beer
If 2. commence electroshocks

Repeat until desired effects(Chris Taylor making only RTS games) are seen.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Araanor said:
Space Hack?
Hey, this game was it least passable. Quite a nice atmosphere. Although I would regret paying more for it than the price of the magazine it came with.

psycojester

Arbiter
I recall losing humanity (well, a charisma stat) with cybernetic implants/body parts was in a Swedish cyberpunk PnP game (Mutant). I'm sure it's used elsewhere too.

There's some grounding to the concept - feelings are closely linked to your body. Butterflies in the stomach, feeling light or heavy, the smile that lingers on your face and so on.

Its actually a fairly common concept in cyberpunk PnP, its not really grounded in anything in real life, its all about stopping retarded munchkins from turning their characters into cheesy bipedal battle-tanks.

Ladonna

Arcane
Look on the bright side guys; Somebody might finish this game and make an Ultima mod in space.

Maybe Martian dreams the second coming?

kris

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Players will take the role of Seth Walker, a cybernetics engineer suddenly thrust into a struggle to save humanity from extermination.

I wanna play his brother Sky Walker.

sheek

Arbiter
Kingston said:
That whole "losing humanity" stolen from Bioshock?
No... from VtM, lol.
I once read a book that claimed there were no morals. Seems like every developer has read the same book...
Because it's Next gen morality.

OT: Firefox 2.0 fucking sucks.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Ladonna said:
Look on the bright side guys; Somebody might finish this game and make an Ultima mod in space.

Maybe Martian dreams the second coming?
Hmm, wasn't there a very extensive sci-fi mod for Dungeon Siege as well? Read some positive things about it. Hopefully GPG sticks to enough modability in this game.

aries202

Erudite
Didn't Deus EX already include cypernetics augmentations in the game as in upgrades to your weapons and several implants to your body :?:

As for Seth being non-human, because aof all the augmentations in him, this actually poses a very good question: what does it mean to be a human?
Is a human still human if he say has 1000 augmentations in him or his he only human if he has 1-2 augmentations on him?

If, and I clearly say if, the game can get this aspect into the it, them it just migt be interesting.
The info we have seems to say that if Seth does overdo the augmentations other people might not see him as a human anymore, therefore not trusting him enough to save them. So, this could get reall interesting.

And if I hear the word innovation and immershun again, I'll..... well, it won't be pleasant (although the rage will be expressed on a symbolic level only, though).

Isn't Too Human already doing the "what it means to be human if you become more machine" or some such? I'd also think they'll do a better job since they seem to actually be putting effort into the game.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
A siege to space itself, that's bold. The tilte of "Dungeon Siege" was already silly, but they managed to top it.

Innovators? Wasn't Dungeon Siege a crappy Diablo 2 rip-off? Unless "innovative" is an industry slang for "sold a shitload of copies".
Of course it does, silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom