Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Turjan

Arcane
i'm struggling to not buy it right away, it looks too good to be true.
what helps me is that last times i bought without *cough*ing first it's been with oblivion and something else so crap i can't even remember what it was.
GMG has the standard version for €20.43 and the deluxe version for €27. I thought it's not a big loss if all those videos are lying. The game has its obvious warts, like the inability of cars to make intelligent use of all road lanes, but otherwise, it looks I will get enough playtime out of this to justify that entry fee. So, it's one of my few pre-orders.

cw8

Cipher
The textures do look indeed to have low detail. I wonder if the importer only accepts lower polygonal models and smaller textures. The roads still look like they're made of clay. Simcity 4 might be 2D, it's actually 4 rendered 2D perspectives from a 3D model to from a building (from the BAT renderer) which also meant no limitations to how much detail the game can have on buildings. Because the buildings in Simcity 4 looked darn majestic.

Pre-ordered the game through GMG as well. I'm not hyped for it but I can't wait to play it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The hype is starting to get to me. But I have been reading about some concerns on the steam forum, and that is that the game seems to be a bit on the easy side. Like that it's really hard to fail a city

what helps me is that last times i bought without *cough*ing first it's been with oblivion and something else so crap i can't even remember what it was.
GMG has the standard version for €20.43 and the deluxe version for €27. I thought it's not a big loss if all those videos are lying. The game has its obvious warts, like the inability of cars to make intelligent use of all road lanes, but otherwise, it looks I will get enough playtime out of this to justify that entry fee. So, it's one of my few pre-orders.
"never spend more than 20 bucks on a videogame".

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
"never spend more than 20 bucks on a videogame".
Agreed, it's 18 dollars at nuuvem http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2650-cities-skylines

Turjan

Arcane
Do the Nuuvem keys still work at Steam, or are they region-locked now like many others?

Turjan

Arcane
The hype is starting to get to me. But I have been reading about some concerns on the steam forum, and that is that the game seems to be a bit on the easy side. Like that it's really hard to fail a city
It has a "hard mode" for people who play it for a challenge, but I guess you will have to wait a bit to find out what that actually does.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It has a "hard mode" for people who play it for a challenge, but I guess you will have to wait a bit to find out what that actually does.

Yeah, saw a video about it. I can try and find the link. But the guy in the video checked out the files, and basically hard-mode is that the stuff will be around 25% more expensive. And it's harder to please the citizens / increase happiness

EDIT:

Here is the video:

Turjan

Arcane
I think if you played lots of city builders in the past, it will be hard to challenge you with a new one. Sure, you will fuck up a few things that behave differently from those other games, but I guess you will have the basics down. So, I won't be playing this for a challenge. I want to make city layouts that work and look either half-way realistic or pleasant to the eye, or both. I want to play around with different modes of transport, different workplace/commerce/homes arrangements and similar things. Is that challenge? I don't know. It's definitely not a strategy game though. There is no AI working against you. After a while, it should all be completely transparent to you.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I know I know, I was just saying :) I'm just hoping they don't pile cash on you even if you city looks like downtown Detroit.
The reason I'm looking forward to it the most is that I'm a sucker for real simulations. When I discovered that Sim City (the newest) was fake it killed the game totally for me.

Anyway, a challenge is mostly a plus for me. And as I said, the only challenge I want really is that I have to watch the money a bit.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'll probably be p.happy as long as it doesn't fucking suck like the last gen of city sims.

Turjan

Arcane
Anyway, a challenge is mostly a plus for me. And as I said, the only challenge I want really is that I have to watch the money a bit.
Their last game, CiM2, was a bit too stingy (at some point I just pressed the "unlimited money" button and then only looked that what I built was profitable after a while), so who knows whether they overcompensated. Anyway, there's everything there from hard mode to unlimited money, and you can probably mod the hard mode further.

If this kind of games is too stingy with their money, they tend to funnel you into a very narrow path to success, which means that you may have to follow a very repetitive style of play. You get some variance from different terrain layout and resources, but there may then be one superior layout and one superior sequence of zoning and plopping down buildings. At the moment you figured this out, and with the game being unforgiving of other approaches, it's basically dead at that point. So I prefer some leeway here.

Turjan

Arcane
I'll probably be p.happy as long as it doesn't fucking suck like the last gen of city sims.
Yeah. I was playing some Cities: XL again as some kind of substitute before this game comes out, but it's really annoying in its details. All this busywork. It's funny that Simcity 4 is still unsurpassed after all these years.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Their last game, CiM2, was a bit too stingy (at some point I just pressed the "unlimited money" button and then only looked that what I built was profitable after a while), so who knows whether they overcompensated. Anyway, there's everything there from hard mode to unlimited money, and you can probably mod the hard mode further.

If this kind of games is too stingy with their money, they tend to funnel you into a very narrow path to success, which means that you may have to follow a very repetitive style of play. You get some variance from different terrain layout and resources, but there may then be one superior layout and one superior sequence of zoning and plopping down buildings. At the moment you figured this out, and with the game being unforgiving of other approaches, it's basically dead at that point. So I prefer some leeway here.

I see. Never played any of their games. I always thought Sim City 4 had good balance, felt like you had to work on your city a bit to start earning money. And coming from Sweden I always found it funny how stingy the citizens in Sim City 4 was when it comes to taxes :P 15% tax? Come on family let's leave this money-stealing city :D

baturinsky

Arcane
Yeah. I was playing some Cities: XL again as some kind of substitute before this game comes out, but it's really annoying in its details. All this busywork. It's funny that Simcity 4 is still unsurpassed after all these years.
I think Tropico 3-5 would be a good alternative if not for huge gaping holes in balance.

Turjan

Arcane
]I see. Never played any of their games.
In a nutshell, the CiM games wanted you to build some profitable public transport. Getting a metro with two feeder lines (bus or tram) running was like printing money. That's expensive though. If you built too many bus lines in the beginning, it would take ages to get enough money for the next step, as bus lines earned just a little bit more than breaking even when set up correctly. So the best strategy was to construct two or three feeder lines, then take out a huge loan, build your metro and hope you didn't overextend. If it worked, you were fine, if not, well...
]I always thought Sim City 4 had good balance, felt like you had to work on your city a bit to start earning money.
You are right. However, I have been playing that game that much that I can do this in my sleep now. As I know how this works, it's at some point not really an important aspect anymore..

Regarding taxes, the neutral tax rate (the rate where demand isn't affected negatively) is even going down when your city grows and reaches 4.0% at a population >6,000,000. It sinks below the default level (9%) at a population of 150,000.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
I think Tropico 3-5 would be a good alternative if not for huge gaping holes in balance.
Solid suggestion. I played Tropico 3 and 4 extensively. I still haven't got around to Tropico 5 though. I'm not sure I like the changes. It's on my "MadMaxHellfire" list ("never spend more than 20 10 bucks on a videogame").

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Why does it have a release in the middle of the working week? WTF? Seriously... I just wanted to play this game over the weekend. :(

BTW. For the people from Poland - cdp.pl has a cheap deal on this game.

I think if you played lots of city builders in the past, it will be hard to challenge you with a new one. Sure, you will fuck up a few things that behave differently from those other games, but I guess you will have the basics down. So, I won't be playing this for a challenge. I want to make city layouts that work and look either half-way realistic or pleasant to the eye, or both. I want to play around with different modes of transport, different workplace/commerce/homes arrangements and similar things. Is that challenge? I don't know. It's definitely not a strategy game though. There is no AI working against you. After a while, it should all be completely transparent to you.
back in my day maxis games were played not for the pure challenge but for the sheer enjoyment of discovering how things worked and interacted. that's why they need to be more and more complex, that's (one of the numberless reasons) why shitcity failed.
thanks to full and immediate mod support skylines could be the simcity we need and deserve.

Whiran

Magister
Why does it have a release in the middle of the working week? WTF? Seriously... I just wanted to play this game over the weekend. :(

BTW. For the people from Poland - cdp.pl has a cheap deal on this game.
Tuesday releases gives the dev team time in the office to work on any hot fixes that will be needed from releasing the game into the PC ecosystem of millions of different system configurations.

Plus because some people work releasing on a Tuesday also staggers the initial use somewhat which mitigates (a little) support from being overwhelmed.

As an aside, I pre-ordered this game. I haven't pre-ordered in a very long time (I don't consider kickstarter to be pre-ordering but rather tossing money to a dev team and hoping something happens) but all of the streams and let's play videos impressed me. Besides, at Greenman Gaming the game was just over $20 USD via their VIP thing. That's easily worth the risk to me after seeing so much city building goodness.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Only 9 more hours men!

waiting.gif

Perkel

Arcane
I wish it had support for regions. Maybe skylines 2 ?

This is what i call region (SC4 doesn't have limit)

also gonna try to recreate this in skylines:

cw8

Cipher
Great, it unlocks in the middle of the night over here. And by the time I finish downloading, it'll probably be Thursday before I can play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom