Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ goes hexagonal

gromit

Arcane
zenbitz said:
I just want to point out that computers can utilize floating point arithmatic, and can, in fac, subtract 2^(1/2) from a number to arbitrary precision.
Indeed, but the point is nobody wants to try to figure out how to spend 0.414 "action points."

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Maybe they are going for 'armies' composed of few units, just like in civ3 with great generals and in civ2 expansion I do not recall name of (tes of time? something power?). I always liked that solution.

No religions is dissapointing, but they were implemented badly in civ4 anyway. Because they were treated equally you didnt have any strategies to build on them. While I agree that giving judaism money bonus is stupid, giving protestantism a production bonus wouldnt be so. But this is a slippery slope so I can see why they dont want to walk it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
wallace said:
zenbitz said:
I just want to point out that computers can utilize floating point arithmatic, and can, in fac, subtract 2^(1/2) from a number to arbitrary precision.
Indeed, but the point is nobody wants to try to figure out how to spend 0.414 "action points."

Make the grid larger. If infantry occupy 40x40 tiles (It IS a freaking army isn't it?) and can move 160 tiles per turn, the remainder of one movement point is trivial.

I don't get why this wasn't done ages ago. Processing power has exploded since computers learned to play chess. The AI can handle grids bigger than 128x64 world maps.

BearBomber

Scholar
Malakal said:
No religions is dissapointing, but they were implemented badly in civ4 anyway. Because they were treated equally you didnt have any strategies to build on them. While I agree that giving judaism money bonus is stupid, giving protestantism a production bonus wouldnt be so. But this is a slippery slope so I can see why they dont want to walk it.

They could've made generic religion with various traits (like civics). They would've been called religion of x (where x is the founding city). For example religion with "peace trait" would give more happiness to the cities with that religion, but also more war wariness. The other way to improve religion is to separate it from countries. Instead of founding it through technology they should bed founded in most cultured cities at random. That would led to the situation where country wants to destroy religion that was created in it. Like Rome did with Christians.

By the way I'm happy that stacks are gone. Because of them waging war in early eras was very hard. The defender could destroy much grater forces and produce more tropes in the same time. In my games of Civilization, unlike in real world middle ages were very peaceful.

MetalCraze

Arcane
KazikluBey said:
Civ4 credits:
Original Creator of Civilization: Sid Meier
Chief Creative Officer: Sid Meier

Exactly.
Meaning that at best his job was telling whether Civ4 looks like a Civ game enough despite many crappy changes.

janjetina said:
Implementing zones of control would be good.
Sorry man, zones of control were removed because lots of morons were crying that in multiplayer cheating (e.g. smart) players were blocking routes via smart army placements. Why would they re-include them in Civ5?

Yeesh

Magister
MetalCraze said:
janjetina said:
Implementing zones of control would be good.
Sorry man, zones of control were removed because lots of morons were crying that in multiplayer cheating (e.g. smart) players were blocking routes via smart army placements. Why would they re-include them in Civ5?

I don't think ZOCs are necessary in a game where every single unit in play covers an area of at least a couple hundred square miles.

Koby

Scholar
wallace said:
Yes, but I think an approximation could have been a good enough solution.

For example: lats say that the *base* action cost is five points instead of one. Five because it has two advantages:
1) relative to other constants it is easy for humans to think in multiplies of five
2) root[ 5^2 + 5^2 ] is "close enough" to 7

This can be supplemented by a "rounding rule" if necessary.

D. B. Cooper

Educated
I'm for anything that gets rid of the tedious "Stack of Doom" combat.

And…
civilizations.png

But where were the Aztecs confirmed?

Nutcracker

Scholar
The archers having bombard function i think is a poor implementation.

If you look at that first pic the archer is shooting a unit over an intermediate hex. In a game like Civ this is an abstraction of 10's, possibly hundreds of kilometres. Fucken retarded having archers "behind the front line" when a hex represents such a large area to start with.

How far are modern artillery going to be able to fire, halfway across the map? They need to scrap this.

D. B. Cooper

Educated
I know. It's fucking retarded. Also, check out the cities in the pic. See the buildings? Those archers can't even fit in their own homes! It's like they're defending cities of ants. Every time they wanted to visit their wife and kids, it'd be like a fucking Godzilla flick.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the previous games. Like, I remember right in the beginning it took an entire century to move my warrior from one square to an adjacent square. But in the modern ages, that same warrior can make the same exact move in only one year. And it could even be the same warrior since these fuckers can live forever.

The fucking scales of these games are ridiculously out of whack. Sid Meier needs to completely scrap this series and start over so that people with the assburgers like me and Nutcracker here can fully enjoy the game.

Destroid

Arcane
Can't use your imagination and suppose that they have better supplies and trucks to drive around in, even if they still use clubs for weapons :S

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Destroid said:
Can't use your imagination and suppose that they have better supplies and trucks to drive around in, even if they still use clubs for weapons :S

He was being sarcastic.

Although archers shooting possibly hundreds of miles away does break the verisimilitude (this word will be the new 'immersion' in gaming presses one day) of the game. Gameplay wise it is an improvement to unit placement and even just something basic like unit variety. I havn't played much of Civ IV but I know in Civ III I usually have one type of unit for defense and one type of unit for attacking. Maybe an indirect attack unit just to see how useful it would be.

ever

Scholar
Nutcracker said:
The archers having bombard function i think is a poor implementation.

If you look at that first pic the archer is shooting a unit over an intermediate hex. In a game like Civ this is an abstraction of 10's, possibly hundreds of kilometres. Fucken retarded having archers "behind the front line" when a hex represents such a large area to start with.

How far are modern artillery going to be able to fire, halfway across the map? They need to scrap this.
lol yeah so whats with knights in chess moving in an L shape thats just retarded and unrealistic, just like those archers in CIV5 wtf were they thinking

ever

Scholar
Here's a hint CIV never was and never will be a realistic game.

kris

Arcane
AzraelCC said:
The shift to limited resources is a double-edged sword, IMHO. On one hand, the placement of cities as a reflection of economy vs military will be highlighted more. You either expand to the nearest military resource but have a mediocre city in terms of economy, or choose the more growth oriented-placement.

On the other hand, if the number of resources in the map pretty much determine the number of special units you can make, the special units might be too strong or too weak balance wise. If they don't make the special units like horsemen strong enough, then players will stick to infantry and the strategic options would be limited. If they make it too strong, then the game will rely too much on luck (you either have easy access to resources or you don't).

It is strange to begin with that you can't spread living resources like pigs, wheat and horses. If you have horses available you should be able to build a horse farm to have them for that city... or have workers build it on the map.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Grunker said:
No religions? I kindda liked the way they handled them in IV.

Yeah, I liked them. I hope mods will bring them back in, though... high moddability is in the feature list so I expect some awesome shit similar to IV's shitload of mods.

KalosKagathos

Learned
JarlFrank said:
Yeah, I liked them. I hope mods will bring them back in, though... high moddability is in the feature list so I expect some awesome shit similar to IV's shitload of mods.
Could you recommend any that are worth downloading, other than Fall From Heaven?

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not too convinced about the combat changes. For me, the dumbest thing about units in IV was that even though you had a whole bunch of them in a group they were all separate and attacked separately, instead of being a single army.
But for what they are trying to do to work, the scale would have to be much smaller.

I'd also love to see order planning + simultaneous execution, but it will never happen because retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom