Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ4: A painfully mediocre game.

There are several problems I encountered while playing this game.

First of all, the difference between the civs is limited to a few minor bonuses. I played games with Sumeria, Arabia, and Welsh and all experiences were mundanely similar.

Second, combat is fucking retarded. I have had entire groups of Marines beaten by one or two riflemen groups, like it's entirely dependent on chance. I won the game by nuking all of my enemies, as my soldiers were fucking useless.

I have not played since the day that I bought it.

4/10

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
facepalm2.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Are these Picard facepalms photoshopped? I can never remember him doing it in the show.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Play with mods.
Seriously.
Do it.

Also, yes, the combat is bad. It was even worse in previous installments [at least in Civ4 tanks beat hoplites 90% of the time]. But if you like 4x games, it's great fun. Especially with mods. And combat isn't even the focus of the game. The focus is to build up a civilization. Like, founding cities and doing research and stuff.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank said:
Also, yes, the combat is bad. It was even worse in previous installments [at least in Civ4 tanks beat hoplites 90% of the time]. But if you like 4x games, it's great fun. Especially with mods. And combat isn't even the focus of the game. The focus is to build up a civilization. Like, founding cities and doing research and stuff.
Not true. In Civ 2 (the best of the series in my opinion btw) tanks in practice always beat phalanx. The problem exists in part 1 (worst case), 3 (not that bad as units had between 2 and 5 "hitpoints") and 4 - not 2.

Are these Picard facepalms photoshopped? I can never remember him doing it in the show.
This is a good question, i watched TNG ~2 years ago and i don't remember it as well.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
JarlFrank said:
Also, yes, the combat is bad.

What the fuck.
Do you people attack cities on hills that have +110% to defense without bombarding them first or something?

Seboss

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
JarlFrank said:
Also, yes, the combat is bad.

What the fuck.
Do you people attack cities on hills that have +110% to defense without bombarding them first or something?
Even with defenses to 0%, a big longbowmen stack can still own a tank stack pretty often.
I seem to remember reading at some point during Civ 4 development that units fighting against more modern ones were supposed to have a big malus, but I don't know if that made into the game eventually.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Civ4 is an amazing game. Go learn how to play it. It took me some time to learn, but after that, Civ4 is the only game that I keep on my laptop.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Civ2's combat is the only one in the series that you can reliably predict. In Civ3 you could have insane situations in which you can throw 5 units against a single unit, with all units having the same attack/defense variables and no extra bonuses, and you would have all 5 of your units killed while theirs would survive. Logic would dictate that if they have the same stats then they should fail 50% of the time but no. In Civ4 it is a little more predictable, but you still have match ups that you expec to win and end up losing.

Ashery

Prophet
Lingwe said:
Civ2's combat is the only one in the series that you can reliably predict. In Civ3 you could have insane situations in which you can throw 5 units against a single unit, with all units having the same attack/defense variables and no extra bonuses, and you would have all 5 of your units killed while theirs would survive. Logic would dictate that if they have the same stats then they should fail 50% of the time but no. In Civ4 it is a little more predictable, but you still have match ups that you expec to win and end up losing.

Actually, logic, or more specifically stats, dictates that that will happen on occasion. If you were to look at each engagement being a 50/50 chance regardless of hp, then you're looking at a 3.125% chance of all five failing. Note that that isn't quite accurate as it isn't taking into account hp lost on the defender's side, but it's the simplest approach.

A more accurate one would be based on the assumption that all units are elite and so you'll have to find the probability of a sequence of 25 hits on the attacker's side and <5 on the defenders.

Helton

Arcane
Civ IV combat is pretty alright, actually, you guys probably just play like idiots. Terrain matters. Promotions matter. Stack balance matters.

They tell you the fucking odds before you engage and everything that goes into calculating them (first strikes make the formula slightly less transparent, admitably). When it says 60% chance of victory it means 60% chance so stop crying like a fucking bitch when you lose. It happens, play smarter. You want a sure thing? Then don't attack at 60% odds.

Bring siege equipment.

Its a good game. Seriously. If you get bored with the vanilla game after a while (understandable) there are excellent mods.

racofer

Thread Incliner
What I hated the most on this game is the micromanagement involved with unit promotions and stuff. It just doesn't fit well with this kind of game, adds unnecessary clutter and turns everything into shit.

The same happened with WC2/StarCraft -> WC3. Why the fuck add heroes into a strategy game that you can upgrade and level up? This is bloatware for strategy games, and even though CIV4 is turn based, it still is unnecessary shit.

Panthera

Scholar
Racofer is from troll country. Because he's a troll. Or an idiot. Idiots are from troll country too.

Helton

Arcane
Panthera said:
Racofer is from troll country. Because he's a troll. Or an idiot. Idiots are from troll country too.

Hey nice avatar, dude, I agree.

Fuck you racofer don't be a lazy shit. Promotions let you customize your army at every level. Large branches of Drill/Combat promos and specific strike teams, or a squad meant to protect a forrested border -- opens up tactics for real and what not. I prefer Alpha Centauri in almost every way, but some kind of unit customization is much, much better than none. Promotions were it.

Helton

Arcane
You just fell several fucking steps of grade in my eyes. New tactics and emergent gameplay that have been sorely absent for 50+ years were introduced and mastered in last Civ game, which clearly demonstrate the fact that there was enough untapped potential to revolutionize the strategy genre. Fun was imminent and nothing absolutely could be done about it.

Don't be a fucking moron. It's this kind of retarded fucking moronic man-ape shit "oooh new feature LOL" reaction that makes me sick. Just fucking sick. It's not a fucking armchair design dicussion. It's real shit that's revealed through real fucking gameplay. You fucking stupid piece of shit. I really was expecting better from you, what with all that gamer and forum experience and whatnot. You're just another edgy hipster fucking piece of shit as it appears. Fuck you. Just fuck you fucking moron. Fuck you and your retarded "bloatware nigger" sarcasm. Piece of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom