Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Dead Guy

Cipher
You can't use the "seize city" CB inside your own kingdom. That also applies to most other special CBs, in general only claims and de jure wars can be declared on your fellow vassals.

And patricians can own castles with no penalty, including counties with castle capitals.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now that I've played a bit as patrician and also with retinues for the first time (played vanilla up until TOG-sales), I suddenly realize why I would sometimes, mainly against republics, inexplicably lose battles I normally would've won easily. Fucking retinues, man. Why do they get those free giant bonuses to shit? Cavalry retinue! 60% bonus to cavalry attack!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Now that I've played a bit as patrician and also with retinues for the first time (played vanilla up until TOG-sales), I suddenly realize why I would sometimes, mainly against republics, inexplicably lose battles I normally would've won easily. Fucking retinues, man. Why do they get those free giant bonuses to shit? Cavalry retinue! 60% bonus to cavalry attack!
Nobody gets retinues unless you have LoR installed, so it was probably mercs that fucked you over.

baturinsky

Arcane
Skirmish retinues are really broken. They take provinces in mere days, don't have to be disbanded to recover or to declare another war. Result can be pretty accurately described with term "steamrolling"

XenomorphII

Prophet
Skirmish retinues are really broken. They take provinces in mere days, don't have to be disbanded to recover or to declare another war. Result can be pretty accurately described with term "steamrolling"

That is true of all retinues (though archer heavy ones do seem to take holdings significantly faster than others)

Dead Guy

Cipher
So anyone else noticing the reduced childbirth or is it just my current game that's pretty lulsy? One couple married before age 20 with the woman being grey eminence and strong for a total of +20% fertility have a single child before they turn 40... Extremely few couples have more than two children, basically only my current character because he's on his third wife so he has 6 kids. I guess people just don't fuck in the last patch or what?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
the reason why skirmish retinue takes less casualty when assaulting keep isbecause holding siege takes skirmish value.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
AS far as I know game adjusting childbirth rate according to forgot what. Either your family size, or your entire royal house.

That is true of all retinues (though archer heavy ones do seem to take holdings significantly faster than others)

Then gamebreaking part is sieging a handful of provinces to get to 100 warscore vs an entire empire in a few weeks, taking peace, then immediately re-warring (either on them or someone else) at which point it you do it again. You never even fight an enemy army, just lost 10-30 men on each siege while your army constantly replenishes.

AS far as I know game adjusting childbirth rate according to forgot what. Either your family size, or your entire royal house.

I know courtiers lose fertility past a court size of 30. I don't think it affects players though (it's purely for CPU reasons). Affects unlanded sons who are in your court though.

The other thing I know of is BASE_NR_OF_CHILDREN_PER_COUPLE = 2, so take from that what you will.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Glad to see the mods slowly catch up with the latest patch. Culturally Different Cities is a must have for me, so it's good to have that one back. Additional objectives mod is fun, although I don't get why he never introduced some of the best ones from TPATT and CK2+. Cultures and portraits revamp is shaping up to be a nice 'light' follow up to the now terminally defunct BLC mod. With these and Memento Mori vanilla at least is fun to play.

Project Balance has been updated for awhile. I dislike the mod as trying to 'balance' everything leads to the game becoming stale. Not to mention complicated and far fetched. Has some good ideas and incoroporated some of the nicer submods tho.

CK2+ also updated into a 'beta.' Wiz moved away from some of the earlier 'balance' retardation but still spends too much time trying to turn this into a mp mappainter only. Some great ideas concerning factions and a shitload of good ambitions and objectives do make it the best big mod atm. Still, lots of bugs in this version and the COA's are borked.

TPATT ran into trouble due to modder drama whores claiming they 'stole' stuff (SWWH map mod gave them permission to use their mod, then told them they couldn't change anything, when something changed drama began) and seems to be lagging because of them actually caving in and rewriting a fucking shitload of work. Won't expect a new version to at least July. GoT also ran into the same shit (elder scrolls modder made claims they stole his work, they told him to fuck off, other elder scrolls modders did the same) but at least there common sense prevailed so I expect an updated version in the next few weeks.

All in all, the big mods are getting there. Although my favs are lagging and my absolute fav has been derailed badly.

EDIT: Get the music mod. Guy made all the old CK1 and Medieval Total War songs into files suitable for CKII. Who needs DLC when you've got two extra soundtracks for free? Awesome.

EDIT 2: They really brought down the fertility rate and made values for people dying of natural deaths at each age. Moving vanilla even more towards mappainting instead of dynasty simulation. At least you can tinker with those values as a modder. Most mods that mess with diseases and childbirth death and so on also made changes to increase the fertility. Memento Mori does.

baturinsky

Arcane
Speaking of kiddies. Will it be impossible to have a kid, if mommy is a ruler too (i.e. not in capital)? Or if she is a council member, assigned to work in non-capital province?

Borelli

Arcane
the reason why skirmish retinue takes less casualty when assaulting keep isbecause holding siege takes skirmish value.
Hmm i did NOT know that. Probably because outside of retinues all armies are the same (and when going with retinues i go with heavy cav or heavy inf one).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Speaking of kiddies. Will it be impossible to have a kid, if mommy is a ruler too (i.e. not in capital)? Or if she is a council member, assigned to work in non-capital province?

In vanilla that doesn't matter in the least.

In my current Let's Play, Underlords wife only got pregnant whenever Underlord was off leadng raiders in England. Every damn single time he went overseats, she shat out another child. And no-one found this suspicious in the least.

oscar

Arcane
EDIT 2: They really brought down the fertility rate and made values for people dying of natural deaths at each age. Moving vanilla even more towards mappainting instead of dynasty simulation. At least you can tinker with those values as a modder. Most mods that mess with diseases and childbirth death and so on also made changes to increase the fertility. Memento Mori does.

Does this result in any slowdown?

XenomorphII

Prophet
Is there some way to give retinues a commander, except coupling them with raised levies or mercs?

You have to have low authority on your primary title do it, but it should work just like assigning commanders for any other army at that point.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Does this result in any slowdown?

Imo that's an old myth that got pandered around during development as a reason why CKII was going to be a lot less lethal than CKI. It's rubbish as for instance CK2plus has shown. Main reason as far as I can see is that the increased warfare from raiding and so on might kill characters sooner. Hence they nerfed stuff like natural deaths and diseases. I think they made a conscious or subconscious decision to move from dynasty sim towards mappainter by making sure your lineage would be secured by kids not dying of the common cold anymore.

CKI was initially developed by an outside developer. They came with all the ideas regarding mixing rpg/strategy/the sims. Paradox has only ever really been into making mappainters. Luckily a lot of the mods are all about adding character into the game again.

EDIT: Only thing to seriously impact on performance are graphical mods. BLC for instance was notoriously heavy before the modder nerfed it and moved on.

Is there some way to give retinues a commander, except coupling them with raised levies or mercs?

You have to have low authority on your primary title do it, but it should work just like assigning commanders for any other army at that point.

Make sure to group all your retinue together on one flank and assign them your best commander. You want to absolutely smash and rout one group ASAP, then gang up on other groups along with using their flanking bonus to carry the battle.

Angthoron

Arcane

In vanilla that doesn't matter in the least.

In my current Let's Play, Underlords wife only got pregnant whenever Underlord was off leadng raiders in England. Every damn single time he went overseats, she shat out another child. And no-one found this suspicious in the least.
Perhaps he faps furiously in his tent and ships, hm, samples off to the homeland?

baturinsky

Arcane
Most logical way would be to cart your harem (or just your wife, if you are catholic loser) along with you for orderly impregnation.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Memento Mori Expanded for CKII 1.10

Memento Mori is a mod born out of a simple ambition. To bring back a little bit of the uncertainty and excitement that came with managing a dynasty in the original Crusader Kings with the excellent DVIP mod. While Crusader Kings II is in almost every aspect an improvement on the original game, Paradox has drastically lowered the difficulties and dangers that your characters run into during their life in the middle ages. Diseases back then were deadly, medical care was more apt to kill you than heal you, giving birth was like playing Russian roulette and violence maimed and killed as often as it gave prestige. This mod attempts to emulate the hardships that people endured in those times. Mind you, this is not made to make life for your nobles impossible or the game a whole lot more difficult. This is designed to make you stop taking easy births, easy sickbeds and long lifespans for granted and to make you be a lot more invested in the succession of your lineage. In short, to make the Medieval Dynasty Simulator part of this amazing game a little more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
Wounds are more serious.
Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
More prestige gained for participants in battle.
Traveling over the sea has become a bit more like the dangerous thing it used to be.
Assassination attempts have more serious consequences.
Sieges may lead to buildings being destroyed.
Children can now be stillborn.

Memento Mori Expanded is however slightly bigger than just plain old Memento Mori. In it I've integrated those mods that I feel are absolutely necessary for Crusader Kings II but don't change around the basic gameplay too much. In it we've got the excellent extra ambitions and objectives from the Additional Objectives 2.0 mod, the beautiful coats of arms from Arko's Armoriepack, Syren's Nicknames mod, the best portrait mod with the extremely pretty Cultures and Portraits Revamp and the Culturally Different Cities mod. Which makes the worldmap look so much better that it's amazing Paradox themselves never bothered. All of these mods won't change around the vanilla game too much, but it sure becomes a hell of a lot more fun to look at and play around with. Have fun.

Many thanks to Wiz, Vaarne Aarne, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. Especially a big thanks to all the mods included in this expanded version. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1g57sec1xzbeqb2/Memento_Mori_Expanded.rar

oscar

Arcane
I'll give it a spin next game. I'm assuming MM is if you wish it to be compatible with other mods (don't think I'll be able to play without Portrait Realignment now)?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Memento Mori Expanded already has the Cultures and Portraits Revamp mod added. Which does everything the Realignment mod does but also improves the looks.

I've made it an expanded version because I usually play Memento Mori with a handfull of other mods myself. Decided to pack them all together for the codex and merge those files that would otherwise cause compatibility problems.

mondblut

Arcane
Does any mod have decisions or cheat events to destroy holdings? Capturing a 7-size province soiled with a bunch of castles makes baby jesus cry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom