Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

mondblut

Arcane
By the way, I've made a tiny map mod that converts all the "major river" provinces into generic water (so that Novgorod, Paris, Kiev and so on are no longer junk throwaway provinces that can't build ports and are therefore best gotten rid of in favor of some coastal Nowheria). With properly placed port icons as an added bonus. So if anyone wants their Novgorod to be a port town, I can upload it somewhere.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
By the way, I've made a tiny map mod that converts all the "major river" provinces into generic water (so that Novgorod, Paris, Kiev and so on are no longer junk throwaway provinces that can't build ports and are therefore best gotten rid of in favor of some coastal Nowheria). With properly placed port icons as an added bonus. So if anyone wants their Novgorod to be a port town, I can upload it somewhere.
that sounds like a great idea... can you actually build a fleet there and sail it to the open seas ?

also: is there a mod that makes east african/middle eastern waters shippable ? it always irked me as an odd design choice to let those waters be unusable

mondblut

Arcane
that sounds like a great idea... can you actually build a fleet there and sail it to the open seas ?

Yeah. All those "major rivers" become like the sea. I tried to do that long before they implemented "major rivers", but burnt out some 5 minutes into painting the "province of Nile delta" into provinces.bmp :) Now they did most of the job (but Nile is still a "minor river", bummer), and all I had to do was commenting out the "major rivers" in default.map. And nudging the port icons all over the place :/

also: is there a mod that makes east african/middle eastern waters shippable ? it always irked me as an odd design choice to let those waters be unusable

Nope. You'd have to add the Suez channel to the map (or rather, that ancient channel connecting Nile to Red Sea - it was supposedly still around by about 1000 ad), that is, paint and add parts of Nile and the channel as new water provinces. I guess they are saving that for another DLC.

mondblut

Arcane
Whaaaat Nile is a minor river? Are they sane?

Yeah, it's not among the "navigable rivers" introduced in TOG. I guess if the Vikings didn't sail as far south, it needs no navigation :smug:

Hm, it starts clicking together. "The Bloody Matzah" DLC, focusing on jewish religion and ruthless Abyssinian raiders sailing down the Nile and, via the channel, into the Red Sea to wreak havoc upon the arabian shores.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Whaaaat Nile is a minor river? Are they sane?

Yeah, it's not among the "navigable rivers" introduced in TOG. I guess if the Vikings didn't sail as far south, it needs no navigation :smug:

Hm, it starts clicking together. "The Bloody Matzah" DLC, focusing on jewish religion and ruthless Abyssinian raiders sailing down the Nile and, via the channel, into the Red Sea to wreak havoc upon the arabian shores.
New playable title: Jew. Work as an international usurer with much chutzpah!

oscar

Arcane
Fantastic mod Trash. Definitely makes succession a lot more hairy and interesting. Had two kids die after the other in a regency, leaving the throne of Asturias to be inherited by some half-sister I'd forgotten about who actually made a pretty good queen.

This mod is good at putting things in perspective again. Instead of being annoyed that the strong, attractive, genius didn't make it to the throne you're simply happy that a relatively healthy member of your dynasty made it. While switching to agnatic is usually one of the first things I do, I don't think I'll be doing that for a while.

baturinsky

Arcane
I just realized that if there were Rance mod, most significant difference with vanilla would be much more emancipated women.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fantastic mod Trash. Definitely makes succession a lot more hairy and interesting. Had two kids die after the other in a regency, leaving the throne of Asturias to be inherited by some half-sister I'd forgotten about who actually made a pretty good queen.

This mod is good at putting things in perspective again. Instead of being annoyed that the strong, attractive, genius didn't make it to the throne you're simply happy that a relatively healthy member of your dynasty made it. While switching to agnatic is usually one of the first things I do, I don't think I'll be doing that for a while.

Thanks man, glad to see you dig it. Adding a little challenge and putting things into perspective are exactly the goals of the mod.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Memento Mori Expanded for CKII 1.10

Memento Mori is a mod born out of a simple ambition. To bring back a little bit of the uncertainty and excitement that came with managing a dynasty in the original Crusader Kings with the excellent DVIP mod. While Crusader Kings II is in almost every aspect an improvement on the original game, Paradox has drastically lowered the difficulties and dangers that your characters run into during their life in the middle ages. Diseases back then were deadly, medical care was more apt to kill you than heal you, giving birth was like playing Russian roulette and violence maimed and killed as often as it gave prestige. This mod attempts to emulate the hardships that people endured in those times. Mind you, this is not made to make life for your nobles impossible or the game a whole lot more difficult. This is designed to make you stop taking easy births, easy sickbeds and long lifespans for granted and to make you be a lot more invested in the succession of your lineage. In short, to make the Medieval Dynasty Simulator part of this amazing game a little more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
Wounds are more serious.
Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
More prestige gained for participants in battle.
Traveling over the sea has become a bit more like the dangerous thing it used to be.
Assassination attempts have more serious consequences.
Sieges may lead to buildings being destroyed.
Children can now be stillborn.

Memento Mori Expanded is however slightly bigger than just plain old Memento Mori. In it I've integrated those mods that I feel are absolutely necessary for Crusader Kings II but don't change around the basic gameplay too much. In it we've got the excellent extra ambitions and objectives from the Additional Objectives 2.0 mod, the beautiful coats of arms from Arko's Armoriepack, Syren's Nicknames mod, the best portrait mod with the extremely pretty Cultures and Portraits Revamp and the Culturally Different Cities mod. Which makes the worldmap look so much better that it's amazing Paradox themselves never bothered. All of these mods won't change around the vanilla game too much, but it sure becomes a hell of a lot more fun to look at and play around with. Have fun.

Many thanks to Wiz, Vaarne Aarne, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. Especially a big thanks to all the mods included in this expanded version. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1g57sec1xzbeqb2/Memento_Mori_Expanded.rar

Would be awesome if you hosted the most recent version of your mod online, tumblr, wordpress or even an updated thread here on the codex.

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks Trash. It's going to be my default once I'm done with the LP. (With MM I expect the Codexian line will die out within twenty years...)

Vaarna_Aarne

As I've said before, I think Trash's MM is a good piece of work and I can see the design goal clearly. It's just not for me, I kind of like the more arcadey approach of the base game.

As I've said before, I think Trash's MM is a good piece of work and I can see the design goal clearly. It's just not for me, I kind of like the more arcadey approach of the base game.

Same. The randomness is just fine as it is. Adding more just makes the game a pain to play.

Most mods seem to fall into either 1. Increasing randomness or 2. Gimping players. Neither is really any fun to play for me. Plus any mods at all seems to make the game crash semi-often.

baturinsky

Arcane
Any idea of how to play in early start Ghana? I'm cornered by some Islam country with quadruple military power.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Same. The randomness is just fine as it is. Adding more just makes the game a pain to play.

Depends on your playstyle. If you want to paint the map like with all other Pdox games vanilla is just fine. If you instead like the whole rpg/strategy/sim mix of the first game then mods are your best bet.

Vaarna_Aarne

Any idea of how to play in early start Ghana? I'm cornered by some Islam country with quadruple military power.
Wait for patch, due to wonky nature of Decadence at the moment the neighbouring muslimoids aren't going to have much in the way of losing stability (I recently saw Persia liberate itself from Abbasids randomly, which was very unexpected), and you cannot hire merceneries to even the odds in your favour. Alternatively, your choice is to convert to iSlam.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well it'd at least keep the Muslim Jihad Rape Machine at bay until you can find an opening. Any rebellion, civil war, Basque beatdown.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Well it'd at least keep the Muslim Jihad Rape Machine at bay until you can find an opening. Any rebellion, civil war, Basque beatdown.

That would be hard though since for some reason, Umayyads tend to unite all of Africa west of Egypt (with almost no chance of loosening their grip).

Depends on your playstyle. If you want to paint the map like with all other Pdox games vanilla is just fine. If you instead like the whole rpg/strategy/sim mix of the first game then mods are your best bet.

I'm fine with randomness, problem is that most of it added through mods is the kind of randomness that you can't alter or affect in any way. As opposed to stuff like combat or rebels, which I can play safe to stay safe or I can play risky to risk the odds and get ahead.

It'd be like playing chess where every turn you rolled a 1d100 and if it came up 99/100 your king immediately dies of stress and you lose the game.

Started my Mali game as the proud count of Tadmekka, was a fun game.

If you can't make them fall apart some shenanigans with abusing their supply disadvantage is your best bet. Drag the war out as long as possible before engaging. Attrition should take them down to 5-6k and attrition from siege events should slowly do the rest. I'm assuming you have 4k-5k troops, do the usual forcing them to engage across river and use good generals.

If they DoW you rather than the other war around they will suffer more and more vassal problems the longer you drag things out too. Make sure that when ever they have a civil war that you DoW the nearby rebels and snatch up the provinces.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Join their realm and destroy it from within. Always works like a charm. May cause problems if you are different religion tho.

Vaarna_Aarne

That would be hard though since for some reason, Umayyads tend to unite all of Africa west of Egypt (with almost no chance of loosening their grip).
This is actually due to the fact that Decadence does NOT work at the moment and Muslims seem to have more levies on average than other religions (with my Finn campaign drawing towards its end, I've noted that the Abbasids, who have over 100 provinces less than my vast empire, have nearly 50% more troops).

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Actually Norse pagans didn't really seemed overpowered. In my Zoro Kiev playthrough, there is a Romuva Lithuania, Slavic Pollackia and Suomenusko Rus (?) and almost all Norse (apart from me and a kinsman on Ireland) were stuck on snowfaglandia. Meanwhile, Abbasids hold everything from Persia to Ethiopia, Umayyads hold Spain to Benghazi and Seljuks replaced the Cumans in the east. It seems that Old Gods made the Muslims OP again in comparison to their almost shit performance in the game every time before 1.10.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It'd be like playing chess where every turn you rolled a 1d100

I enjoy playing it like a dynasty simulator, that indeed has those nasty little things that can happen outside of your controll. You want a 'chess' game where you can play the odds. Different approach. CKII was always marketed as a mix between sims, strategy and rpg. I want it to be that.

Anyway, Memento Mori Expanded crashes with the new patch. So either roll back or wait for a new version. Will most likely make on this weekend. Or wait for Pdox to hotfix the hotfix or something.

And Norse pagans aren't overpowered. People who whine about that haven't played with them for longer than two generations. Yup, they start out as a scourge. The longer the game however goes on the more weakened they become, untill they either convert or get taken over by Christian people. As they should.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom