Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Ah, but you see he said Pope won't join a holly war against fellow catholics. And clearly that dirty greek orthodox has it coming for attacking the poor peaceful muslim.

Of course, why exactly are there catholics and orthodox 300 years before the Schism is a bit of a mystery.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, to be fair, there was a divide between the West and the East long before they actually mutually excommunicated each other. So I can't really blame them for modelling it like that. It would have been far worse and less historical to have the Byzantines under the pope (just before the period added in "Charlemagne", the papacy was under the Byzantines, if anything). There was often a great disconnect between the formal decisions and the reality on the ground. For instance, there were repeated official attempts to mend the schism, where the "Greeks" would supposedly accept the supremacy of Rome, but this was never practiced either.

There was a divide long before the Schism, yes. But now that they have pushed back the starting date 300 years, they really could have modelled this better somehow (maybe something like CK2+ does it). Anyway, the whole point is a goalpost move, of course - no Pope should join a holly war against a christian (orthodox or catholic) on the side of a muslim, the very idea is ridiculous. He's a Pope ffs.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I guess I've come around on the rights of women laws, but I just wish there were a few more fantasy laws (primae noctis? cultural tolerence?) or at least flavour laws (have a status of jews law for christian realms to tie into lending money/explusion) to make it not stand out so much. A realm peace law would be nice too.

At least infamy seems to have completely crippled AI controlled super blobs. The Abbasids now just sit around with high infamy & accumulate decadence until they explode.

Starting to get a real handle on the council dispositions now though and am having fun with managing based on the makeup of the council, my favourite council was entirely glory hounds and zealots and those guys all love holy wars against strong infidels. I usually wouldn't skip weaker muslim states to go right after the caliphate, but it's a bit refreshing to have the game create a situation where that is preferable.

Delterius

Arcane
Oh... come on! They added Infamy and Coalitions to CK2?? It was fine for a simpler premise like EU's, but CK2 was always about trying to keep the blob together, not international affairs.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Sounds like an idea for the next DLC. CK2: International Relations Studies, where you can build the UN. Flavour events where the HRE or ERE can form the European Union once they have max Crown Authority, Centralisation and Status of Women. All Sunni shitlords get a Rapefugee Cucking casus belli on EU rulers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paradox forum is on fire :lol:.

My favorite part is the user who owned one of the admins with his in-game screenshot, by proving his claims about how Pope won't join a war against fellow Christians in coalitions as false.

Also, new dlc makes it possible for almost day 1 Primogeniture HRE thanks to the inflated tech levels because of those early startdates.

According to their pathetic company video, they are supposed to be great with customers and post funny cat gifs.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Ah, but you see he said Pope won't join a holly war against fellow catholics. And clearly that dirty greek orthodox has it coming for attacking the poor peaceful muslim.

Of course, why exactly are there catholics and orthodox 300 years before the Schism is a bit of a mystery.

Holly wars are a birch to deal with. I usually just leaf the game at that point.:happytrollboy:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I haven't had a female ruler for some time now, but now I can really appreciate the "greatness" of the seduction mechanic. Every 2 weeks, I get a love letter or some other seduction attempt from the gluttonous, drunkard, paranoid master seducer Count of Malta, who already has three lovers. Do you think he's going to change his target after being spurned? Of course not. There is nothing you can do about it. You can't turn him down permanently, you can't tell his wife, you can't arrest him without tyranny. According to the opinion mechanic, he hates me and I hate him (-79 and -100, respectively), but there is literally no connection between this focus and previously existing game mechanics, because that would make too much sense.

Does the new patch/DLC fix this stuff? If so, I'll take back everything I said about it. If not, well, I hope they're happy with their DLCs. I guess they're too busy adding China. You know it's coming some day. Perhaps sometime around 2018-2020 they'll release CK3 with only a map of Europe and only Catholic feudal lords being playable, and the circus will start all over again.

Edit: I googled "Crusader Kings 2 seduction" just for fun, and the first link I clicked was a thread on the official forum, where the first response to a complaint was, "Welcome to the Middle Ages". I wish I could pop out of that guy's screen and give him a post-natal abortion. How can anyone be so retarded to think that WoL seduction is literally an accurate representation of the medieval court?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I guess I've come around on the rights of women laws, but I just wish there were a few more fantasy laws (primae noctis? cultural tolerence?) or at least flavour laws (have a status of jews law for christian realms to tie into lending money/explusion) to make it not stand out so much. A realm peace law would be nice too.

At least infamy seems to have completely crippled AI controlled super blobs. The Abbasids now just sit around with high infamy & accumulate decadence until they explode.

Starting to get a real handle on the council dispositions now though and am having fun with managing based on the makeup of the council, my favourite council was entirely glory hounds and zealots and those guys all love holy wars against strong infidels. I usually wouldn't skip weaker muslim states to go right after the caliphate, but it's a bit refreshing to have the game create a situation where that is preferable.

This. Where EU/Vic emphasises technological advancement and choices, laws should have been the big mechanic for customising your empire in CK2. A far, far more expansive law tree with all sorts of laws sourced from ideas that never made it to reality in history and other plausible options should have been designed, such that you can for example reorganise the laws around the inheritance of nobility's titles, make restrictions on luxuries by the nobility, give indulgences to criminals, tighten laws prescribing mobility of the peasantry, etc, etc.

Turrul

Augur
Does the new patch/DLC fix this stuff? If so, I'll take back everything I said about it. If not, well, I hope they're happy with their DLCs. I guess they're too busy adding China. You know it's coming some day. Perhaps sometime around 2018-2020 they'll release CK3 with only a map of Europe and only Catholic feudal lords being playable, and the circus will start all over again.

This is the fixed state of the WoL, they just halved the chance of AI selecting it back when they patched it and called it a day. You can see it on your own in game files, every focus except Seduction has a chance factor of 100 modified by ruler's traits, while Seduction is 50. Apparently it was too hard to include a mechanic like "3 strike and you're out".

2.5.1 is pretty much Cuckold Coalitions 2 atm.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Ah, now I understand all the "Seduction is fixed guyz!!!" claims from the past year or so. You can tell these fucking fanboys everything. Seduction? "It's fixed, seriously." Shattered retreat? "Well, people wanted the game to be more difficult." Coalitions? "Well, the French were once allied with the Mongols." (a lie) Aztec invasions? "Yeah, that's the medieval period for you."

Well, the patch notes said they were doing something about ai targets for seduction, but whatever that was it didn't do shit. When I did my test run as ERE emperor it took less than 5 minutes for some count of nowhere to seduce my wife. 5 fucking minutes. At least now I can throw the seducer in jail without tyranny - now if only they taught the ai to keep it in his pants around his liege's wife. I mean, why would this asshole do something like that? She wasn't even good looking, so what, was it bragging rights - I banged an empress? Is that worth the risk? I don't know if my daughters / daughters in law would have the same protection (didn't play long enough), but I doubt it somehow.

That's the big problem with seduction (and intrigue) focuses - the ai just rolls the dice to determine the targets without any meaning, reason or plan. Why would a count even try to seduce an empress or an imperial princess? What does he get out of that beyond horrible risk? Why would he try to kidnap then ransom random people in the realm, including his own liege? Because RNG said so. Anyway, practical tip - people leading armies cannot seduce and cannot be seduced. So when you notice someone going on a rampage, just make him a commander and put him in charge of a retinue unit, until he dies or switches out of seduction. Oh, and use mods, because Paradox isn't going to fix this.

oscar

Arcane
Yep it should also be based on traits. A brave and ambitious seducer with very high natural relation with the empress perhaps might attempt it (then again the whole idea is ludicrous, does he just sneak in the castle up a rope or something) but your regular sleazy horndog is going to stick to serving wenches and perhaps try it on a nun if he's feeling particularly brazen.

Not someone who will have him excruciatingly tortured and executed.

The only situation it's plausible is an Elisabeth style unmarried queen or the Emperor is insane/invalid.

The only situation it's plausible is an Elisabeth style unmarried queen or the Emperor is insane/invalid.
Aye, that sounds good. And even then he should take a hint and back off if rejected after a couple of attempts against a high-risk target. You can annoy low-born wenches in your court all you like, but doing the same to a queen monarch or regent could be really unhealthy.

When ai selects seduction targets the target's high rank (or high rank of their spouse or close relative) should be a major red flag. That alone would fix a lot of issues, because right now it doesn't matter at all.

kris

Arcane

In the second example it is more prudent that it is the Empress doing the seducing.

Why dont you guys just disable it for the AI or make it 10% or less?

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes the merciful thing about CK2 is the ability to remove and alter their terrible ideas easily enough. AI Seduction, Coalition, infamy all disabled. Reasonably playable now.

Of course we are using mods to make this stuff rarer (though even with 10% setting in a sufficiently large realm stupid shit can still happen depressingly often, and I don't want to disable it completely). Just wanted to try the new vanilla to see if anything has changed.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Another modifier to fix, thanks Paradox. Am i understanding that homo trait is now tied to an event, or can it happen randomly as well? It's more fun knowing your super genius might be cursed with homogay, but now you can avoid it 100%?

I'd love if there were dozens of little laws like this to roleplay with.

I haven't had a female ruler for some time now, but now I can really appreciate the "greatness" of the seduction mechanic. Every 2 weeks, I get a love letter or some other seduction attempt from the gluttonous, drunkard, paranoid master seducer Count of Malta, who already has three lovers. Do you think he's going to change his target after being spurned? Of course not. There is nothing you can do about it. You can't turn him down permanently, you can't tell his wife, you can't arrest him without tyranny. According to the opinion mechanic, he hates me and I hate him (-79 and -100, respectively), but there is literally no connection between this focus and previously existing game mechanics, because that would make too much sense.

Edit: I googled "Crusader Kings 2 seduction" just for fun, and the first link I clicked was a thread on the official forum, where the first response to a complaint was, "Welcome to the Middle Ages". I wish I could pop out of that guy's screen and give him a post-natal abortion. How can anyone be so retarded to think that WoL seduction is literally an accurate representation of the medieval court?

As far as I know the *only* change to seduction once a character has you in their sights, since the original implementation, is that if they are very far away they have a high chance of having a temporary inability to reach you. Originally Irish could seduce Ethiopians like they were next door neighbors. There's been some small changes to the chance of a character taking seduction but once they've decided to fuck something they won't take no for an answer. Hey, maybe someone should make the case that WoL's implementation of seduction is effectively rape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom