Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Classic D&D/AD&D/OSR Art

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Always thought Acererak was more skeletal than human. Perhaps this was before he transformed into the infamous lich?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
T3o8h7d.jpg

SZcAVOd.jpg

2pYhOrK.jpg

JHV5NbA.jpg

imfh9ia.jpg

OnA0dc7.jpg

TYX6Oze.jpg

oJsfVHq.jpg

5EYrxJf.jpg

H33zIHl.jpg

Alex

Arcane

KateMicucci

Arcane
paladin-cover-image.jpg

Paladin fighting some demons.
I'm sorry, but this is the iconic Paladin in Hell and those are, therefore, not demons, rather they are devils.
Even worse, that image is cropped:

cbcdm0.jpg

Clearly visible are a bone devil, a malebranche, two barbed devils (plus a third lying in the bottom-left corner), and a (defeated?) ice devil. +M
Why does he hold his shield like that?
Because it's hard to dynamically pose a shield user without it covering his body. I struggle with this constantly.

Alex

Arcane
paladin-cover-image.jpg

I'm sorry, but this is the iconic Paladin in Hell and those are, therefore, not demons, rather they are devils.

cbcdm0.jpg

Clearly visible are a bone devil, a malebranche, two barbed devils (plus a third lying in the bottom-left corner), and a (defeated?) ice devil. +M
Because it's hard to dynamically pose a shield user without it covering his body. I struggle with this constantly.
Okay, but if you tie the shield to your arm like that, then holding the arm in a horizontal position will put the shield in the horizontal as well, rather than standing, which I would think should be the default position for it. I am not a medieval armament buff, though, so if someone tells me this is the standard way to do that, I could accept. It just seems a bit weird.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
paladin-cover-image.jpg

cbcdm0.jpg

Okay, but if you tie the shield to your arm like that, then holding the arm in a horizontal position will put the shield in the horizontal as well, rather than standing, which I would think should be the default position for it. I am not a medieval armament buff, though, so if someone tells me this is the standard way to do that, I could accept. It just seems a bit weird.
I think I read somewhere that they do this for having the shield on horseback so it doesn't interfere with their movements as much or something along those lines.

Alex

Arcane
paladin-cover-image.jpg

cbcdm0.jpg

I think I read somewhere that they do this for having the shield on horseback so it doesn't interfere with their movements as much or something along those lines.
I guess it makes sense to have the shield "standing up" if you are walking, to defend most of the body, and laying on the horizontal while on a horse, to avoid it hitting the horse or getting caught up in the reins. Thanks!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
paladin-cover-image.jpg

cbcdm0.jpg

I guess it makes sense to have the shield "standing up" if you are walking, to defend most of the body, and laying on the horizontal while on a horse. Thanks!
Actually I think I was thinking of this video. If you want to skip around, around 5 minutes in, he's got a footman's shield on a shoulder sling sideways and around... 7 minutes I think, he's got a smaller shield like in the picture that can be oriented in different ways and discusses it.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
paladin-cover-image.jpg

cbcdm0.jpg

That's so he could stab with shield's pointy end when necessary, effectively using it as an off-hand weapon.
The picture was way ahead of its time predicting now-popular Pathfinder builds.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never liked shields in D&D.
Always go Two-handed. Besides,enemies at higher levels won't be very impressed by your slightly better AC granted by a shield. Better to just focus on killing power via two-handed big weapons.

Alex

Arcane
Dude, I don't mean to be ungrateful. The stuff you post is frequently pretty awesome!

But it seems you've been cycling through some stuff you've posted previously for a while now. If you are doing it on purpose, that is ok, of course! But I thought I would bring it up to your attention in case it wasn't.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Dude, I don't mean to be ungrateful. The stuff you post is frequently pretty awesome!

But it seems you've been cycling through some stuff you've posted previously for a while now. If you are doing it on purpose, that is ok, of course! But I thought I would bring it up to your attention in case it wasn't.

I appreciate the feedback. I have a script that selects 5-10 random images from a massive collection of images I've collected and I post those. There are bound to be dupes.

If you see duplicates, feel free to PM me links to the dupe post and the original post, and I'll happily remove the current dupe.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Famously, both those images were removed in the version of B3 Palace of the Silver Princess that actually appeared in stores. Fortunately, the cool Erol Otus cover remained.

b3orange.jpg
b3second.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom