Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Random, Dec 12, 2013.

  1. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,508
    A. It's clearly the right choice. I swallowed full-weeaboo with Senya, might as well give this a chance.
    Never played FF so forgive the future ignorance.
     
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Senya got hooked with a coodere/tsundere pair right off the bat. That eased the pain (and made for an excellent date sim with ALIENS).

    I am sad that FFVIII setting does not get any love, though. :( It's always FFVII that gets all the fanfics.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Time compression ended the FFVIII setting fo' realz.

    I am somewhat curious as to how many players I just lost, though. I'd try to promise that this isn't going to be dumb bullshit but I doubt anyone on the Codex would listen.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

    The Brazilian Slaughter
    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1,872,496
    Location:
    Belém do Pará
    I forget this for a bit and Shepard tosses himself to his death with a big metal trash can?
    Holy Jesus Codex!

    Wait, what?! FF?!
    Hmmmm...

    Aniway, voting A
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,508
    Oh wait, we're voting for the second option, aren't we?
    Flopping to G then, obviously the correct choice.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Stygian Lurker Scholar

    Stygian Lurker
    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    577
  7. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Take your time and discuss this difficult decision. There's a lot of choices to choose from, after all. I'll give it 20 hours until I update. I want everyone to get a chance to participate this time.
     
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,243
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    G, damn you all.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

    Night Goat
    Joined:
    May 6, 2013
    Messages:
    1,865,103
    Location:
    [redacted]
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Hell if I'm gonna stay and fight, I'm off the clock. I vote F, because F that.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Imperator Scholar

    Imperator
    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    Messages:
    190
    Update?
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    In about thirty minutes. Wrapping up work stuffies.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Prologue Redux Part II

    The correct course of action is obvious to you. You turn right around and start hopping down the tall stairs towards the streets, taking three or four steps at a time. You're getting the %@#$ out of here, this is all @#$%ed. You reach the bottom of the marble stairwell just as a squad of MPs arrives, apparently reinforcements. One of them stops and recognizes you. You glance at his initials on his armor and realize who it is. First Lieutenant Davidson, an old pal from the academy. "Lieutenant Westford? What are you doing here?" he asks.

    "I'm, uh, off-duty," you mutter.

    "Off-duty? There is a terrorist attack happening thirty meters away from you and you're 'off-duty'? What the %@#$ is wrong with you?" your old friend shouts in your face, grabbing you by the collar and pulling you close.

    "I'm unarmed!" you protest. "I can't do anything like this! They've got materia and an ex-SOLDIER on their side!"

    "Who gives a @#$%? Find a gun or something! You're a First Lieutenant of the Shinra Peacekeeping Corps! Your responsibility is to protect the people of the world! Your own comrades are dying in there! And you're just running away?! %&@# you, you piece of #@$% coward!" Davidson says, throwing you to the ground and giving his squad the signal to move up. They charge up the stairs to the entrance to headquarters, and then into the place. Moments later, you see a red glow emanate from within, and then a huge blast of flames blows out all of the glass doors and windows of the entrance, charring the ground and walls, and the squad bounces out of the flames, tumbling down the stairs, some of the men in pieces. You confirm with a glance that all four men had been burnt to a crisp. The smell of burning flesh meets your nose. You nearly vomit. Then you realize that they still had their weapons on their corpses, which were in relatively good shape still.

    You pick up a rifle and check the magazine. It's full. You check the action, and it slides just fine, no issues. The wooden stock is a little burnt, but still solid. You can grab the assault vest off of one of the troops for their ammo and sidearm. You can also put on one of their helmets. You could charge the enemy. Maybe you can buy time for SOLDIER to arrive or something. Even if it's suicidal, maybe it would be best to die on your feet. Then again, you have enough money in your pocket to walk away from all of this and live a comfortable life, maybe get a job as a janitor or something. Something peaceful and safe.

    What do you do?

    A) Go up there and die like a man
    B) Run away and remain a coward
    C) Other

    NEW! Inner Nature acquired: Coward

    Character Sheet

    Show Spoiler
    Name: Marcus "Maverick" Westford
    Class: Ranger
    Profession: First Lieutenant of the Shinra Peacekeeping Corps
    Age: 23
    Inner Nature: X
    Dominant Inner Nature: Coward
    Status: Fine

    Characteristics:
    Strength 4 Agility 7
    Tenacity 4 Intelligence 7

    Skills:
    Marksmanship Lvl. 2
    Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Athletics Lvl. 1, Discipline Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Bluff Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

    Inventory: Civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Jupiter Energy Bar, Pocket Knife, Spearmint Gum, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 20,000 Gil
     
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Imperator Scholar

    Imperator
    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    Messages:
    190
    E)
     
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    ^ Top  
  14. Random Word Arbiter Patron

    Random Word
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2012
    Messages:
    320
    MCA Project: Eternity
    E) [Tactical Genius] Do a circuit of the building, sabotaging all blue trucks and absurdly oversized choppers potential escape vehicles because fuck that minigame to limit the terrorists' tactical mobility in the event that they survive their operation. Do the same in the building garage if time permits.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    [​IMG] :lol:
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,508
    A, of course.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,880
    Now that sounds like a plan. I'm voting for this as well. It's just a shame we don't have any explosives as well.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

    Night Goat
    Joined:
    May 6, 2013
    Messages:
    1,865,103
    Location:
    [redacted]
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    I vote for this one too.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Making good use of the other function, I see. While this is a little metagamish, I'll let it slide for now. Gonna update in two hours, get your votes in.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Anabanana Augur

    Anabanana
    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    1,061
    We are a coward; emBrace the coward.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,508
    Fuck it, flop to E.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    C) go to barracks and grab that cool Shinra troops uniform, while reporting situation to HQ on comms/telephone.

    I mean those uniforms were kickass, btw FF7 CYOA as shinra trooper? YES i am in, still didnt expect this to happen. We could try to regroup survivors to.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Random Arcane Patron

    Random
    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,679
    Prologue Redux Part III

    You take your time and calm down as you strap the assault vest of your fallen comrade over your dress shirt. You double-check the Shinra Manufacturing 20A3 assault rifle you retrieved from him, and certify that it is functioning as intended. Then again, these things were rugged and robust, meant to endure pretty much any battlefield situation and still work right. It wasn't a big surprise for it to be working despite recently getting blown up. You pull back the action to cock the rifle, flick off the safety, and set it to semi-auto. You grab the most intact helmet you can from the squad of four, brushing some of the ashes out of the inside before strapping it onto your head. It felt a bit morbid to loot all of this kit from your deceased friends, but it wasn't like you had much of a choice right now.

    You check the holster, a part of the vest, for the standard issue sidearm on your right hip. Your Shinra Manufacturing 3 service pistol was fine. Fifteen bullets were in the clip, and one waiting in the chamber. You flick the safety on the side off. There is still a grip safety to ensure it won't misfire anyways. You return it to your holster and leave the strap unbuttoned. You might be needing it in a moment's notice soon. There was a nightstick in a loop on the waist of the vest. You doubt it would help much, if at all, against an ex-SOLDIER and a pair of elite terrorists. But it doesn't hurt to hold onto it. All in all, you feel a lot better just to be holding a real weapon, though you have to admit that you don't foresee any heroic actions in your near future. Instead, throughout this whole gearing up process, you've been thinking about the terrorists' plans. Now that your head is cool, you can really put it to work.

    Clearly, they intend to cause as much damage as possible, but what is their real goal here? Why attack HQ rather than another reactor? Are they aiming for President Shinra and the rest of the corporation's executives? That wouldn't really accomplish much, since there's immediate successors in line to take up those positions if needed. What if they're hoping to find a way to shut down all of the Mako reactors in one go? Does such a thing even exist? You honestly don't know. You come to the conclusion that you cannot conclude anything about their motivations with the knowledge at hand. What you do know is that they're going to have a hard fight up the building considering all of the troops, automated defense systems, and especially the (minimal) SOLDIER reserves stationed there. And it is going to take time.

    That means you may have the time to be able to mount some other kind of offense against them that isn't overt. Something to sabotage their plans. They do not know that you are here, which is a factor in your favor. It comes to your attention that these terrorists have always gotten away with their acts scot-free. They always have an escape plan, in other words. But by the time they finish brutalizing the headquarters there won't be a way for them to escape, reinforcements from all over the city will have arrived and blockaded the place... unless they get their hands on a vehicle. Bingo. You don't believe that you can fight them, but you can definitely screw them over. You begin to think of all the vehicles that they can use in the general area. Shinra vehicles are heavily guarded, and the keys for them are in a secure and guarded room in the first basement that only Shinra employees can enter, to prevent theft. If the terrorists are taking on the entire building, there's no way they have the time to find and break into a place like that. That leaves the civilian vehicles, but all of the civilians have already driven away in terror. Only the vehicles on display in the front lobby are left, and the keys... are kept in the vehicles themselves.

    If the enemy has some kind of esoteric escape plan, you probably won't be able to predict it. But if they don't even have a plan for escape, and are making things up on the fly, they might just come back down to the lobby after accomplishing their goals and see the display vehicles. They'll use them to make their escape. And you can prevent that quite easily. You silently, carefully climb the marble stairs that lead to the destroyed entrance to Shinra HQ. By now the sounds of gunshots are further away, which leads you to believe that the fighting has progressed to the second floor. The enemy is probably trying to get into the elevator, which means they're distracted and you can sneak into the lobby. When you reach the top of the stairs and peer into the smokey lobby, you see mostly the corpses of your dead allies and general devastation. A cursory glance is all it takes to confirm that nobody in the room is still alive. The wounds are far too grievous for that.

    You notice that one soldier seems to have a broken neck, a couple of gunshot wounds, and is laying by a metal garbage can that belongs in the employee's restroom. What the hell happened here?

    You creep into it and determine that the enemy is definitely gone, due to the eerie silence. They must have left the second floor and gotten onto the elevator already. You need to move. You sprint to the display vehicles, a blue truck and a very large, very high horsepower motorcycle. You open the truck's door and grab the keys that are just sitting on the driver's seat, stowing them in your pocket. You walk over to the motorcycle and find the keys sitting in the ignition. Yeah, if they tried to use these vehicles, it would be far too easy. You grab those keys as well, leaving both vehicles without a means to drive them. You doubt that a bunch of terrorists have the mechanical knowhow to hotwire anything anyways.

    Now, all that's left is... the terrorists. While you've theoretically deprived them of their best escape route, you have yet to resolve the actual problem at hand. You can hear gunshots coming from the higher parts of the building. And explosions, too. You have no doubt that the fighting is fierce. And you will no doubt need to join it eventually. But how should you join it?

    What do you do?

    A) [Stealth] Try to sneak up on the enemy to catch them off guard
    B) Just hurry to the enemy and attack them, there's no time for planning
    C) [Electronics][Computer Use] Try to shut down the elevators using the main console in the basement to limit their mobility
    D) [Bluff] Try to bluff out the enemy to make them surrender, tell them something like you've wired the whole floor they're on to explode or that SOLDIER 1st Class is coming for their asses
    E) Surrender to the enemy instead to open a dialogue with them and try and figure out what they're planning so that you can more effectively ruin those plans
    F) Rush to floor 60 before the enemy can get there to set up a proper defense with the rest of the guards
    G) Try to loot the item shop for possible things you can use to fight them with
    H) Other

    Character Sheet

    Show Spoiler
    Name: Marcus "Maverick" Westford
    Class: Ranger
    Profession: First Lieutenant of the Shinra Peacekeeping Corps
    Age: 23
    Inner Nature: X
    Dominant Inner Nature: Coward
    Status: Fine

    Characteristics:
    Strength 4 Agility 7
    Tenacity 4 Intelligence 7

    Skills:
    Marksmanship Lvl. 2
    Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Athletics Lvl. 1, Discipline Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Bluff Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

    Inventory: SM-20A3 Assault Rifle, three clips of 7.62mm ammunition, SM-3 Service Pistol, three clips of 9mm ammunition, Nightstick, Shinra Light Combat Armor Helmet, civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Jupiter Energy Bar, Pocket Knife, Spearmint Gum, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 20,000 Gil, keys to display vehicles
     
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.