Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codex Bloodbowl League

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not sure if I remember how to play this game...:M:M:M

bionicman

Liturgist
If you have a free spot, I could join. Although... if I may ask, which teams do you guys play? There any dorfs or chorfs?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you have a free spot, I could join. Although... if I may ask, which teams do you guys play? There any dorfs or chorfs?
bloodbowl2_dx_322021-2rjv9.png

boot

Prophet
Actually we just filled it up. Lets uh, hehe, uh guys i'm going to DELETE the Codexia Grand Open competition and open a new one with 2 more team slots, don't panic, just join the REAL Codexia Grand Open this time

Last edited:

bionicman

Liturgist
Not sure if I joined the right one. I'm the the one with the human team.

edit: Just realized it's definitely the new league cause it only has two teams.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
So it looks like we'll have 7 teams then?

:incline:

I propose we do a simple format with a 6-game regular season (i.e. we all play each other once) and then the #1 and #2 teams play for the championship. The top two spots are determined by points -- a Win is 3 points, a Loss is 0 points, and a Draw is 1 point.

In case of a tie, we look at head-to-head rankings first. If Team A and Team B are tied for second place, but B defeated A during the regular season, then B advances.
If that's still not enough to determine the top two, then we look at scoring differential. So score all the touchdowns you can, even if it won't affect a single match result it could affect your final standing in the league.
If for some reason we still have a tie after all that then I guess we can just put our heads together and figure out what to do.

I just made all this up off the top of my head and have never played in a BB league before, so feel free to come up with something better if you guys want.

boot Let me know if you need any help coming up with a schedule or keeping track of results or anything. Good luck to one and all!

bionicman

Liturgist
Zanzoken, just so you know, High Elves are only good at longer-running leagues. They *really* suck early in development. So, maybe pick some other team instead now that the league is already being remade. Dark elves would be a good alternative.

boot

Prophet
So it looks like we'll have 7 teams then?

We need one more team to start. RK47 may still join up, but if he doesn't and no one else steps up we can add an AI team which will function kinda like a bye week.

I propose we do a simple format with a 6-game regular season (i.e. we all play each other once) and then the #1 and #2 teams play for the championship. The top two spots are determined by points -- a Win is 3 points, a Loss is 0 points, and a Draw is 1 point.

In case of a tie, we look at head-to-head rankings first. If Team A and Team B are tied for second place, but B defeated A during the regular season, then B advances.
If that's still not enough to determine the top two, then we look at scoring differential. So score all the touchdowns you can, even if it won't affect a single match result it could affect your final standing in the league.
If for some reason we still have a tie after all that then I guess we can just put our heads together and figure out what to do.

If you guys wanna do a championship game we could do that.

@boot Let me know if you need any help coming up with a schedule or keeping track of results or anything. Good luck to one and all!

right

Lets try and get everyone registered before Saturday

Zanzoken

Arcane
Zanzoken, just so you know, High Elves are only good at longer-running leagues. They *really* suck early in development. So, maybe pick some other team instead now that the league is already being remade. Dark elves would be a good alternative.

Thanks man. I have read that in other places too but honestly I am trash at the game anyway so it probably won't make a difference lol. I don't really care that much either way, just gonna do my best and if I lose every game, oh well. :D

bionicman

Liturgist
Here are some tips then:
- When on offense you will be tempted to score as quickly as possible by passing. Instead, you want to run the ball in with a catcher (HE catchers are super fast so they excel at this). The way you do this is ideally you want to score on the very last turn and hold off your opponent from getting the ball from you.
- On defense, don't place your guys right next to enemies so they can punch them for free. Instead, try to dodge out (or block the enemy next to your character) if possible. Get a Kick skill on one of your lineman as early as possible and then against slow teams like the greenskins kick the ball as deep in as possible. Against other agile teams (and humans) you want it near the line of scrimmage in case of a "blitz event". The key to winning with elves is to play for a draw and then if you get lucky (which happens often) on your defense (e.g. if your opponent fails to pick up the ball or if the "blitz event" happens) you want to grab the ball quickly (and easily since you only have to roll a 2+ unless it's raining) and score.
- Your catchers are fragile and expensive. Keep them protected so that the opponent cannot blitz them.
- Have at least one blitzer and make sure to blitz with him every turn, or if you have to block, block with him instead of a lineman.
- Also if you don't know much about screening, read a bit about it: https://grumbbl.co.uk/screening-in-blood-bowl/ There are maybe other articles somewhere about it too, it's a fundamental elf strategy. Slower teams rely on strong, tight cages, elves rely on spread-out but also strong screens.

And a general tip:
- Be careful how you use your rerolls (especially with high elves since they start with very few skills). Generally speaking, don't use a reroll unless really necessary. Best possible outcome is to have 3 rerolls saved up for the last 3 turns. Then you can use one every turn.

Elves are complicated. Even when you master them, you'll roll a double 1 and lose a game. Such is the way of Blood bowl...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Thanks man. I have read that in other places too but honestly I am trash at the game anyway so it probably won't make a difference lol. I don't really care that much either way, just gonna do my best and if I lose every game, oh well. :D
Reported for being spp farm. (I kid)

I think high elves are kinda fine at tv1000? They're not chaos or lizards or anything like that. They have some catch, some throw, some block. Lacking a bit in dodge for an elfy team but that's what skillups are for. 'Sides, picking team for being optimal is bad, if you wanna play goblins, you should play goblins.

Av8 on all your pieces is also going to be real nice against the blocky teams, compared to pro elf.

bionicman

Liturgist
I read Zanzoken's post that he is inexperienced when it comes to multiplayer in Blood bowl (unless I read it wrong), so I wanted to just give him a heads up. But otherwise I agree that there's nothing wrong with playing lower-tier teams if you're playing for casually for fun and not to win. I'm just jaded from playing the champion's league where everyone plays competitively I guess.

I'm by no means an expert at blood bowl, but it's a general consensus in blood bowl community that helves suck at tv1000. And it's not just a consensus but a statistical fact (helves will drop out after the first or second round in the bb2 champion's cup every time). Now the details behind it are... they start with good attributes, but almost no skills (catch and throw are meh skills that you never even take in the development of a character). Block is good but having only two blitzers is kind of crap compared to other teams, which is why delves are so much better. Another thing is that in competitive play no one plays the passing game because it's too risky (you instead want to run down the field with the ball, i.e. play the running game), and both high elves and pro elves are meant to be good at passing. Sadly, passing for elves is going to be even worse in blood bowl 3, since they accidentally nerfed it while trying to make it more important. :negative:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And it's not just a consensus but a statistical fact (helves will drop out after the first or second round in the bb2 champion's cup every time).
Do you have a link to those stats? Not saying I don't believe you, just curious.

And well, things that are valid at high level play are not necessarily true at low tier play. For sure high elves are not a top tier pick, but I don't think they're trash enough to recommend against.

But ofc I also went with a witch elf in my delf team showing I am not really that inclined towards optimal play over fun play.

bionicman

Liturgist
This is the champion's cup sheet I found on their discord: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ydt5riTEwYzJoHVD4ylIT35dfqg5oYH3zuDsxx7afKI/
Under "Race Overall" you can find stats on how different races performed in all the cups so far. Note that 'qualifications' number doesn't mean much since it's easy to get into the cup itself (you need to have above a certain rating in the rankings and have the #1 team of that race, although this has been made even easier recently with the introduction of "wildcard" teams and many in the community disliked this decision).

I would be dishonest if I said that it's ok for a newbie to play a high elf team. With something like woodies, skaven, dwarves, zons, or orcs Zanzoken would fare a lot better against you lot. So I'll stick with my recommendation.

Witch elves are great btw. They start with dodge (no high elf player starts with dodge) and frenzy forces the opponent to not place his players next to sideline cause of potential surfs.

On the other hand, you should get assassins if you want to really show you are not playing seriously (they suck). :D

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
On the other hand, you should get assassins if you want to really show you are not playing seriously (they suck). :D
I have tried assassin builds before. But they are just waaaay too expensive in gold and tv for something that mostly performs worse than a lino.

And well, I won't dispute that high elves are probably the worst of the passing teams. Wood elves, skaven and pro elves are all better.

bionicman

Liturgist
Yep, although there is a cool trick with them, which is if you use them in combination with the multiple block skill you can stab two characters at the same time. I forget whether they buffed or nerfed him now for bb3... but I think they nerfed shadowing sadly (which was already a niche skill).

bionicman

Liturgist
Buyer beware, BB3 is coming out somewhat soon. Perhaps just get the base (non-legendary) edition without the additional teams.

bionicman

Liturgist
Lagole Gon your team is the only one not in the remade competition, you should join I guess. Although we may have to remake it again in case desocupado decides to join.

boot

Prophet
desocupado maybe we'll play together next season, or in bb3, but now, feel free to join us for the 1st Day

of

the...

:flamesaw:REAL CODEXIA GRAND OPEN:flamesaw:

:d1p:Not just a tournament, but a CELEBRATION of CODEX CULTURE:dgaider:
:hero::hero::hero::hero::hero::hero:

LET US BEGIN!!!

5185.jpg
SAINT RK47 vs MYSELF, humble
boot
21242.jpg

9536.jpg
THE GREAT RATMAN Darth Roxor vs Lagole Gon (nice guy)
14007.jpg

11109.jpg
:obviously:
Jaedar vs The Charming Strange Fellow
25417.jpg

and finally

19130.jpg
Good Zanzoken vs The bionicman (a mystery)
26570.jpg

exchange phone numbers and play your games ASAP this is priority numero uno you know what you signed up for men

Last edited:

bionicman

Liturgist
First two games I get to play vs elves? Easy level-ups for my guys, thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom