Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Codex Bloodbowl League

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by boot, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    if i'm gonna see a nigga skip moving his ball carrier when he can still score with 2 turns to go one more time i'm gonna bring down the hammer

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. bionicman Learned

bionicman
    Strange Fellow, some things I noticed that could help you (I'm not a good orc coach by any means, so take this with a grain of salt):

1) Before your linemen and black orcs get block, try to put blitzers on the front line instead *when on offense* (although this doesn't work vs 4 strength teams like chaos and lizards). When on defense, black orcs on the front line is fine.

2) Teams with 3 strength fear black orcs. They especially fear them when they form a wall. Basically, try to use your black orcs as a standing wall. This forces elves to dodge out.

In my opinion there was this one situation where if you used a wall you would've fared a lot better in the first half:

[​IMG]

The arrows are my suggestion for what you should've done. You instead went to blitz with your black orc, left that other black orc at the top-left part of the cage doing nothing, and left your blitzer on the right vulnerable to a surf. Also, notice how by moving that black orc all the way to the left you would've allowed a two-dice block by giving a +1 assist to that blitzer there. Also, sorry for the dark-elf camera perspective but you get the idea.

The result of that turn was that dark elves had a 2-dice (1 with a reroll) block opportunity at your ball and managed to KO one of your black orcs. I think this turn was a deciding point. You played really well before this one, and this significantly slowed you down (though you still could've potentially scored in the end, as Darth Roxor pointed out, and made it a draw).

Jaedar was the one who had less luck this game I think, and still won anyways.

It was an entertaining game. I'm looking forward to playing against both of you.

EDIT: Strange Fellow, just noticed that pathing I drew for the blitzer is wrong, should instead just be a diagonal arrow toward that tile.

EDIT 2: I've fixed it now.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Maybe? I looked at the stats and I did have a higher percentage of skulls and 1s but at the same time I did fewer blocks and kept up quite well in the player count despite having lower armor and making fewer blocks.

It was a pretty dull game. I think strange fellow played a bit too passively in the first half, especially in the last 3 turns he needed to take some risks to move the ball. What risks I don't know, I am waaaay too rusty at the blocking game (made some really big derps were I failed to account for actually having a path to blitz where I wanted due to pushing/following poorly) and I've never played orcs. A wall of blorcs is pretty much impenetrable, but I wonder if it isn't better to use at least two of them to push forward.

Also in the screenshot you posted it might have been fine to move the blorc, but in general you need to be careful with making a wall like that since if the witch elf blocks left, she can push the ball carrier out of the cage and make him vulnerable to a blitz. Probably wouldn't happen in this particular setup since it's blorcs, but it's worth keeping in mind.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. bionicman Learned

bionicman
    Yeah, I agree that it's still dangerous, didn't think about it.

When I said you were unlucky, it was cause one thing stuck out as hilarious, which is at the end of first half when you (I think it was a blitz?) blocked with your witch elf, got double-skulls, which turned into a KO, which turned into a failed KO roll. :D

Anyways, I guess boot can start the next day round of the competition now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. boot Cipher

boot
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    RK47, I have to add all codexian BB players to the Steam friend list again.

My friend list was wiped out when my account got stolen by russian hackers and sold to a romanian body inflation fetishist. True story.

Edit: Dammit! It really is a true story! I have romanian chatlogs and disturbing TF2 Pyro fanart to prove it!

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I honestly didn't expect the league to get this far. And it hasn't even been a week! Good job men.

Anyway, what's your steam Zanzoken ? I am Jaedar or code 24987248.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. bionicman Learned

bionicman
    boot and I played and he learned the harsh lesson of the fragility of elves and why you should never place your armor-7 no-skill elves next to your opponents' players en masse. He decided to concede, since the game became very unenjoyable for both of us. I agree with the decision.

Generally speaking, pro elves (just like high elves, except even more) suck at early levels. However, pro elves suck at all levels. All the while humans are quite strong early.

If there will be a season 2 of the Codex bb league, I will most certainly pick a weaker team to handicap myself. These two games I've played so far have not been fair match ups to say the least.

^ Top  
  9. boot Cipher

boot
    ITZ OVER

incels concede on turn 5, onlookers disgusted, coach predicts bleak future ahead

bionicman
    Show Spoiler

I know you shouldn't mark players with elves, if you watch me and RK's game you see I never really did that, but to apply any pressure you need some marking. I just wanted to try my luck I guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. bionicman Learned

bionicman
    I would say don't be pessimistic, but I would be a liar. Pro elves just suck ass.

boot
    Show Spoiler
    I actually don't disagree that you should do that (mark to apply pressure). It's a viable strategy, but better at later levels when you have a lot of blodge (block + dodge) and sidestep (although this backfires often too). E.g. a good time to do this is when you've acquired the ball from your opponent, but can't form a screen to protect your ball carrier (wood elves do this since the war dancers just leaps in, strips the ball away, and then the catcher dodges in, picks the ball up and runs away). The problem here is that you gave me a lot of free blocks (less risky ones). Perhaps if I were really unlucky with handing over the ball it would've worked out for you, but it was very unlikely. And so the whole action was too risky for what it's worth in my opinion.

Edit: Don't take my suggestions and blood bowl opinions too seriously though, it's important to have fun, and I'm by no means a good blood bowl player (I make stupid mistakes all the time), so I could be wrong.

^ Top  
  11. Zanzoken Arcane

Zanzoken
    Just sent you a friend request! I'm on EDT (UTC-4) and my availability is pretty open, so let me know when you'd like to play.

^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  13. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    :lol: i shd check the replay, sounds top kek

^ Top  
  14. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Pro elves have shitty linos (they're probably the worst in the game for how relatively useless yet expensive they are) but they have great blitzers and the best catchers in the game. Basically the only way to stop a pro elf from a 2 turn touchdown is snake eyes. Which obviously does happen, but not that often.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    if you concede at turn 5 instead of going for 2-turn-tds when you still have 4 players left and 3 ko'd, the fuck you playing pro elves for

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    :lol:

EIN GLANFATH MOTHERFUCKERS

yeah if u play Pro Elves. You gotta be mentally prepared. Throw caution to the wind.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    ^ Top  
  17. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    naked men meet green men tomorrow at 7 pm potato time

• Button Button x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    I wish there was a timebank instead. 4 minutes for every turn is too long indeed, but never more than 2 minutes can wreck key turns.
    Of course, playing vampires with less than 4 minutes/turn is difficult...

You sound like a dwarf hater!

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. boot Cipher

boot
    Thats how you end up conceding turn 5

^ Top  
  20. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    SHOW YOURSELF!

Edit: Dorf Duel in 15 minutes.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. bionicman Learned

bionicman
    I bet it's going to be the most boring match in this whole tournament.

^ Top  
  23. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I bet it's going to be the most exciting match in this whole tournament.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. vazha Erudite

vazha
    I am in, used to play Fumbbl for years.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. bionicman Learned

bionicman
    A bit too late now (we're somewhere mid second round out of 7? rounds), but I assume there will be another season so you can join then. Also, who knows maybe someone drops out and you can sub in (unless I'm wrong about this being an option in the bb2 client).

In the meantime, if you'd like to spectate the current live game with us, search for the UB United vs. Demons of Durlag match in the Cabal TV menu in bb2 (you have to enter one of the two team names into the team input field).

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.