Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex GOTY 2015 - Results

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Spread of shame, i.e. those who rated Age of Decadence 1:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QFjcVZAK--m8NawGUumFpEVFEXg8ZBnSuhYd58FNXlI/edit?usp=sharing

Users in yellow deserve some special tag, UR fanboys were obvious but FeelTheRads I can forgive since Vault Dweller hurt his feelings and he can't stand him ever since.

I've also included users who rated AoD 2 but was too lazy to see whether any F4/Undertale fanboys were in there.

Absurd
FeelTheRads (UR fanboy and VD hurt his feelings)
Grampy_Bone
Hobo Elf
John_Blazze (Witcher and UR fanboy)
Kiste
LizardWizard (PoE/UR fanboy)
MasterSmithFandango (UR fanboy)
mbpopolano24
Ormagöden
Pirata Alma Negra
Radimus (UR fanboy)
Renegen (UR fanboy)
Ruzen
The Game Analists
Ulminati
ZodoZ

Aenra

- Interesting that W3 is that high.. tells you something about the future of not really RPG Telltale wannabes games made from farm workers and potential immigrants taking up software programming.

- Unsurprising that F4 is last, but so very pretentious; all it takes is a look in the sub-forum. Prestigious-my-ass members gallore have not only bought it, but played it sufficiently long to post and post and post details in the relevant megathread. Along with countless newer/lesser known retards who also appear to find it of worth, otherwise how could they ever have kept on playing and playing enough to be able to comment on late game stuff.
( now this might be just me, but i do see a correlation here. Mostly in regard to hiveminding... I wonder how big the difference in ratings would have been had DU not announed in advance that results would be public :) )

- It is sad that in 2016 we can't even get a F1-2 parody done right. Let alone spiritual sequel. We need to have trash mobs, MMO mechanics, respawnzzz!!1111 and RNG even in things no one had need to add RNG in. It is even sadder that most folks found ways to convince themselves these were all non-issues and all in all very incline a package. Worthy of first spot, lol.. Which leads me to:

- AoD deserved that first spot. And deep down, you know it. You won't come here to acknowledge it, but it did. For what it set out to do, for how deliberate and consistent it was in fleshing out something secondary into a central feature while still being both familiar and oldschool enough to satisfy.

- Glad D:OS EE got another one. Sad to see how small the rating difference is compared to the third spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Septaryeth

Augur
It's creepy using Google Doc for this.
Like...I can see anonymous codexers, living, breathing, gazing into the same sheet as I am.

But damn Undertale got shat on :lol:.
Despite all the "tumblr" drama and 1/3 of the voters giving it 1, other scores have roughly the same percentages.
I wouldn't call it polarizing but that's definitely something...

Cadmus

Arcane
Goddamn I really wanted AoD to win. They deserved it the most. I haven't played Underrail yet so I can't compare them but AoD is the very definition of incline, it's something new as opposed to a well done nostalgia cRPG.
DarkUnderlord are there gonna be codex medals once again for the devs to stick on the bottom of their steam page so that noone gets offended by seeing an award from the "RPGCodex"?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Somebody post it on Neogaf, so we can have a laugh like last year where they were grinding their teeth in obvious antagonism and were still forced to acknowledge the validity of the results.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Overall pretty happy with the results, only thing bugging me is D:OS winning an undeserved 1st place over WL2: directers for the REMASTER category. WL2:Dc had a shitton more changes and improvements than the D:OS.. meh

Also, i'm sad to see Hard West to far down the list on tacticool, I thought it was pretty great.

Anyway, Underrail won.. so all is GUD ;)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm alright with this outcome.
The Witcher 3 was my personal GOTY. Not entirely innovative, but the writing was fresh, combat was alright for a 3rd person roller, some good gore and the babes were AAA+. Very high quality throughout.

"2. Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition 3,51"
Damn, not bad at all for a packed year. Beat Wasteland2! Charles-cgr :salute:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
All of these barely played games really profited heavily from the Bayesian average. Overture only has two votes, both of them "3"s, yet its BA is 3,42. Something similar happened to The Swindle, The Fall of Dungeon Guardians, etc. etc.

Conversely, PoE is ranking below these games, even though it has a higher normal average (3,30). If all of PoE's fans and enemies had banded together and boycotted the poll, and the only recorded vote for PoE were a single "3" vote, it would have made it into the top 10.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fairytales: Three Heroes has a single rating, which is a "1". Its Bayesian Average is 3,40.

:retarded:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Faggots said:
My favorite didn't win, therefrore [the scoring process was in error/it was rigged/the moderators cheated/you all have no taste/I don't want to be alone]

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Bubbles casts /invoke Autism.

Oh! RPG! has four votes, all of them "1"s, and its BA is 3,2.

If ICY had only been played by four people who all hated it, it would now have a better ranking than it got. In fact, it would beat Avernum 2 and AntharioN.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
these results are about as legit as the shit I say on shoutbox

8923e09006.png

:butthurt:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I voted Underrail for the best game of the year, thus I consider this results totally legit.

Septaryeth

Augur
All of these barely played games really profited heavily from the Bayesian average. Overture only has two votes, both of them "3"s, yet its BA is 3,42. Something similar happened to The Swindle, The Fall of Dungeon Guardians, etc. etc.

Conversely, PoE is ranking below these games, even though it has a higher normal average (3,30). If all of PoE's fans had banded together and boycotted the poll, and the only recorded vote for PoE were a single "3" vote, it would have made it into the top 10.

Regardless of scores, a significantly greater amount of people had voted for Pillars of Eternity instead of Wasteland 2 or Witcher 3.
It's a bit hard to believe more codexers played PoE than those two.

That being said, I doubt there is any alternative without removing the score system, the only sensible thing is to :dealwithit:.
Will we get an editor choice like last year? And will Torment continue to be the most anticipated game for the upcoming year? :smug:

Aenra

Blaine i thought you once said it "wasn't your job to convince people what they must like and what they must not" and that you weren't "an apologist, i do not need to be". Lastly that (and repeated in various alterations) "i do not care about what others think". Now you're posting as if your ass is on fire, am confused. Also, lol, for someone definitely not into thinking his job is to influence people..?..
disqualified Blaine

:hero:

(Styg doesn't need fanboys. Game is good enough to sell on its own^^)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That being said, I doubt there is any alternative without removing the score system, the only sensible thing is to :dealwithit:.

You could just pick the lowest score out of BA and normal average for every game. That way games that only have one "5" vote will still be adjusted down, but games that only have "1"s would land at the bottom of the list.

hivemind

Fanboys said:
My favorite won, therefore [the scoring process was perfect/it was legitimate/the moderators were honest/you all are just butthurt/pls don't take this moment of joy from my pathetic life]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
disqualified Blaine

:hero:

(Styg doesn't need fanboys. Game is good enough to sell on its own^^)

I was disqualified due to some kind of technical issue. I think I accidentally hit the submit button, pressed Enter, or something similar before I'd made my selections properly. I don't really remember exactly what happened, since it didn't matter much even at the time, and certainly doesn't matter now.

In any event, is liking an excellent game, writing a preview, and voting for it in a poll now the epitome of being a fanboy, or are you just incapable of communicating without the use of stupid buzzwords?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom