Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex of Victory (Early Access open)

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
Hi All,

We have opened a new turn-based strategy game "Codex of Victory" in Steam Early Access and now looking for an active community to shape final months of game development.
We have several features that we want to discuss with players before implementing.
The game is in an active development, currently it has several playable starting missions plus underground base between missions and we are looking to release it in Octorber-November this year, so a lot of work to do and you may be a part of the process.

Sorry for this post on this forum, this one we are making without a publisher and we are not that good in marketing,
in the same time, I think this game could be interesting for the rpg codex community.

All feedback is welcomed and I'm ready to answer your questions if you have them.

Here is the link to the game page on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/464100

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
Hi All!

Update #2 is out and the first Act is finished. Now it ends with a boss mission.

The Next update will be about the Multiplayer Army Builder to provide interesting and balanced strategy battles with friends.

And the Team works on the second Act, making new features and new units (Augment race)

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Sorry for this post on this forum,
We tend to have a lot of indie devs post here, even ones still in progress, such as that game Rhuantavan is making.
Multiplayer Army Builder
:mob:
I have one major question though. Is this a RPG, Strategy, or SRPG, or what?
Edit: Nvm, looked at the Steam page. Looks interesting. Will wait for full release though. I have a bit of a problem with buying early access, no offense.

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
from makers of the Warlock, Elven Legacy and Fantasy Wars.

:d1p:'d. I enjoyed both Warlock (I and II) and Fantasy Wars.

Also, if you guys really did make Fantasy Wars, I'd like to just throw out a request for a sequel to that game out there. I want more Orc campaign. Elven Legacy's campaign was only, well, elves. :3

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer

Also, if you guys really did make Fantasy Wars, I'd like to just throw out a request for a sequel to that game out there. I want more Orc campaign. Elven Legacy's campaign was only, well, elves. :3

Yes, we really did. The only problem with the Fantasy Wars sequel is that the IP currently belongs to the Russian publisher 1C Company. I will try to ask them for the terms we can use it on, but not sure of the result.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Yes, we really did. The only problem with the Fantasy Wars sequel is that the IP currently belongs to the Russian publisher 1C Company. I will try to ask them for the terms we can use it on, but not sure of the result.

Oh shit. Didn't know that. Well, it wasn't a 'serious' request, more of wishful thinking from someone who really likes Fantasy Wars (and Orcs in general, in any form).

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
Oh shit. Didn't know that. Well, it wasn't a 'serious' request, more of wishful thinking from someone who really likes Fantasy Wars (and Orcs in general, in any form).

Actually we would love to do a sequel, it was a good game! But for now, we have to finish the Codex of Victory, we are so invested in it already.

Loved Fantasy Wars and Warlock II was solid. This looks interesting, by maybe not twenty-three euros worth of interesting for early access. Some questions:

The Steam page says single-player is a mission based campaign. Is there also a single-player sandbox mode or one planned?
Do units carry over between campaign missions, and can they gain xp, abilities and/or equipment like in Fantasy Wars? Or in other words are their RPG-light features?
I see a planet map in the screenshots. How does this tie into the campaign? Does it function anything like the Dawn of War: Dark Crusade or Warlords: Battlecry campaign map? Or is it like X-Com?

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
The Steam page says single-player is a mission based campaign. Is there also a single-player sandbox mode or one planned?

No sandbox so far. The game is drifting in this direction, but currently we want it to stay a wargame. But it is in the Early Access and a lot can change.
And the mission based campaign will be not really strict starting from the Act 2. Player will have to choose which battles he want to fight and in what order, so it will not be linear.

Do units carry over between campaign missions, and can they gain xp, abilities and/or equipment like in Fantasy Wars? Or in other words are their RPG-light features?

Yes, they do carry over between mission, but they are not getting any xp. Player can upgrade them between missions and improve with modules and they can get some additional abilities and rules. The gameplay was tuned for player not to care too much for his units, because he normally can produce more of them between missons, this opens different tactics and the battles could be more intense without the need to save frequently. As long as you win - you should be good. When you loose - you load.

[QUOTE="muds_animal_friend, post: 4684393, member: 5557"
I see a planet map in the screenshots. How does this tie into the campaign? Does it function anything like the Dawn of War: Dark Crusade or Warlords: Battlecry campaign map? Or is it like X-Com?[/QUOTE]
Well, in the first Act, which is also a tutorial, you just select missions in the mostly linear campaign. But starting from the second Act (which is still in production) a player will have to defend several planets of his star system from the invasion. So it will be more like XCom, but with lot of missions available simultaniously, building special buildings in the map locations, that influence battles in adjacent locations, and the order of missions will be important. Most missions will have a time slot to participate, and if not - the location will be lost. And because flying to the HQ from other planets to get reinforcements will take time, there should be a strong motivation to do several battles with the same army in a row.

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
New Augment race unit - Hacker. Can get control of any player unit within a reach except a hero unit. Very dangerous. Do you want me to keep posting new units here?

F745531167E388176F55AAF219E5EF0EEADEAEAF

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
Oh, I got a new shining tag on my profile! Cool! Thank you, Mustawd , Crooked Bee !

Do you want me to keep posting new units here?
Yeah sure. Otherwise this topic may very well end up dying out.

Then here is the next one - Augment Channeler (working name) - a unit that fires a chain-lightning to damages a group of enemy units standing together.

301957C2971468F0BD4C04BC8319944A3F0A337C

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I did have fun with Warlock 2 when it was released(got it on release day iirc) so I'll put this on my wishlist for now till it gets more content.

Looking good.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Do you guys still have the same AI team that was on Warlock?

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
I did have fun with Warlock 2 when it was released(got it on release day iirc) so I'll put this on my wishlist for now till it gets more content.

Looking good.

Thank you! I hope you like Codex of Victory as well!

No and the AI is different. But it is easier to make an AI for this game (it has missions and half-scripted) than for Warlock 1&2.
I know there was some frustration from the most hardcore community because of the AI of Warlock games. (We should have put more resources towards it, maybe do it instead of shards.)
If there will ever be Warlock 3 - I will make the AI a priority.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Looking good.

Thank you! I hope you like Codex of Victory as well!

No and the AI is different. But it is easier to make an AI for this game (it has missions and half-scripted) than for Warlock 1&2.
I know there was some frustration from the most hardcore community because of the AI of Warlock games. (We should have put more resources towards it, maybe do it instead of shards.)
If there will ever be Warlock 3 - I will make the AI a priority.

I dunno, I thought the AI in Warlock was pretty good for the genre -- it just seemed to have problems with heroes. Players could superpower their heroes, while AI treated them like common units and threw them away constantly. Eventually that led to huge power shifts.

Alexey

Ino-Co
Developer
... it just seemed to have problems with heroes. Players could superpower their heroes, while AI treated them like common units and threw them away constantly. Eventually that led to huge power shifts.

Yes, that was one of its problems. AI tried to buff his heroes in priority to other units, but it failed to keep them alive for long enough to become a superpower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom