Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex questions for Otherside's Underworld Ascendant

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I can't help you to refine your tastes, that's a challenge you must face alone.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Here's some questions.

How did you get an investor(s)? On just the underworld name alone? Because you really do have nothing of interest, demo wise, to show. So far it's just a lot of talk and bullshots/concept stuff.

How much sway or pull does this "investor(s)" have in the say of the game or design decisions?

Zep--

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Arx is better in a number of ways, but falls short in others.

Better:

Casting System
Inventory and interaction systems.
RPG Systems.
You cannot punch doors to death and must use a weapon.
Engine related boosts: audio design, music, voice acting, graphics fidelity, lighting, physics, level design (detailed environments, more complex geometry etc) and so on. Unfair for comparison, but worth noting.

Worse:

No map annotations :mad:
Not as large scale levels of the dungeon.
Arx is overall easier.
No dialogue options.

That's my quick, shallow summary.

Arx is overall easier.

Unless you count the Crypt and Temple of Illusions. Those puzzles were really something...

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Any comparison relying on advancements in technology should be put aside, otherwise the shittiest game of today is 'better' than anything from the 90s which would be of course a retarded measure. Of course some things that Arx completely tries to emulate 15 years on will have some innovations. Those innovations don't exist without the inventions made in UU 15 years earlier. That's like saying the Liberatis mod is actually better than Arx because they make this and that improvement.

I appreciate Arx and have played it several times but it is no Underworld. It's easy to feel great when you are standing on the shoulders of giants in the genre. The best parts are Arx are those most successfully recreated from the Underworld experience.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Why not speak to oneself? The Stygian Abyss instills unspeakable horrors in one's mind and not all come out intact.

More:

Arx:

Gradual restoration of health and mana as opposed to instant.
Dismemberment.

Underworld:

Eat/Sleep system.

Divinity: Original Sin
Will you be able to backtrack? And will initial areas evolve as you progress through the game, like in underworld 2? Maybe a Hub?

Or will it be like thief, dishonored and bioshock games, in which once you cleared a level, there was no reason to come back? Or a middle term like deus ex?

Will it have a frame or UI with a dragon/lizard/serpent whose eyes glow green/yeloww/red to give you an idea of the enemy's health? And music cues that reflect combat performance?

Dream/ethereal void areas?

Edit:

Oh, full movement, like leaning, crouching, proning, jumping, mantling, swimming... will all of these be present and affected by skill values?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, one question that idk if it has been touched upon before.

Why go with Unity that, as far as I understand it, has trouble with complex 3D geometry instead of using something like Unreal Engine? UE is very flexible, pretty much tailor-made for 1st person perspective, cheap as peanuts and games like Dishonored or Tribes: Ascend have proven that it can handle vertical level design very well.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank you to everyone who posted a question :salute: I won't be using them all but appreciate your contributions.

On a side note, I'm replaying Ultima Underworld in preparation for my visit and was surprised how easily it was for me to "get back into it." The UI and movement controls felt natural and I easily felt comfortable with them... kinda of like not skiing for a few years then getting back on the mountain and it's like you never left. The atmosphere is still exceptional in that feeling of claustrophobia and being alone in the dark. I hope they don't brighten things up too much in their return to the abyss as the darkness was an essential part to this game. Also, sue me, but I love the inventory system even to this day! I have bags, pouches and boxes. One for food, one for weapons & armor and others for gold, gems, map, etc. Call me a pack-rat but I really enjoy these type of inventory systems (I also love the one in U6 :oops:).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
  • What's the story with the PC jumping 30 feet into the air at 3:27 in the pitch video? Are these magic grits?
Looking at today's video, which shows that section in more detail, this question has been answered ... the guy is pole vaulting! Awesome!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom