Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex questions for Otherside's Underworld Ascendant

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
If an encounter is too difficult, will the player be able to take cover and wait for the hitpoints to regenerate?
How many day one DLCs are planned so far?
Will the player be able to ride a turtle?
:troll:

Alright, some more serious questions:
What sort of spells will the mage use to make combat more interesting than "spam fireball"?
Will weapons and armor degrade over time?
In the Kickstarter pitch video, all the light is ambient. Will the player need torches/spells/night vision in other parts of the game?
Will lore books be included in game?
Will the player select which skills to increase, increase the skills by training like in TES, or a combination similar to Mount & Blade?

Actually, Arx Fatalis came before that, and, surprisingly, Halo was the first to have lower-body awareness..
Nope, that was Montezuma's Return (1997)
[/random video game trivia]
I was going to mention Tresspaser, but it was released in 1998.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
How rigid is the class strutcture, are you either a warrior, thief or a mage, or can you teach your warriors and thieves spells?
Already answered:

CREATE YOUR OWN CHARACTER CLASS

Think outside the box of formalized character classes and concoct your own one-of-a-kind adventurer.
  • Jump right into the game choosing from a Fighter, Mage or Thief. But from there you are free to customize your Avatar to your individual play style.
  • Mix and match your favorite skills and perks. Create a mage skilled at stealth, a fighter who can summon spectral allies, or the ultimate thief.

If they are going to handle it that way then why not just forget labels entirely and have everyone start as a normal dude/lady and let their play dictate what they become?

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Q: The team has spoken on the intrusiveness of UI elements on the play experience. Can you comment on the principals what will guide your innovations there and can you give an example or or two on how you intend to improve inventory management?

(My wish is for and animation of a pack coming off your back (ala last of us but in first person view), with the focus then coming down onto your bag as you couch over it. Game world light determines visibility level. The bag works in the U7 style - gridless and listless. You put things in and organize them yourself. While in your pack the simulation continues and you can be attacked etc. The UU gridded pack was also pretty cool but a U7 style pack with good placement and stacking fidelity would be great IMO)

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they are going to handle it that way then why not just forget labels entirely and have everyone start as a normal dude/lady and let their play dictate what they become?
Ehhhh ... you mean like in Skyrim where you start the game as a six-foot tall newborn baby who sucks at everything but knows just enough to start a career at anything? No thank you.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
That is the worst possible example to use for a comparison I didn't make.

I would like to know what the class pick influences. Is it starting equipment and some minor skill or are there further reaching consequences? I suspect the former. They themselves are downplaying the importance and have mentioned that after you pick you shape your character as you wish. So what is the point? Does it tie to a diablo style approach to character appearance along three branches? I doubt it.

Further, the team has mentioned abandoning traditional 'RPG stats' approach. Presumably that leads to heavier systemic reliance on skill gain through practice and perhaps (hopefully) more major improvement choices through shrines. If that is to be the case, drop the tropes entirely and let the player pick their starting gear and perhaps an aptitude or two.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is the worst possible example to use for a comparison I didn't make.
Shrug. You suggested that everyone start off as an identical blank slate, which is exactly what Skyrim does. The comparison seemed apt.

If that is to be the case, drop the tropes entirely and let the player pick their starting gear and perhaps an aptitude or two.
Designing a custom PC does sound better than picking one of just three prefabs. But even a prefab would be better than a nobody.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
It depends I think. If you get into class restrictions for gear then the prefab does more damage than good. I liked the way UW pretty much allowed anyone to do whatever. It felt quite natural that way.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last chance to submit questions here that I will take to OtherSide. I'll be compiling a list of questions based on what has been written here as well as some of my own in the next few days.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have nothing above and beyond what's already been asked and just general inquiries for them to detail stuff like character progression, itemization, non-combat skills/talents, etc. Specifics into systems and mechanics would be nice.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just basic stuff like:
- What kind of stats?
- Class based vs. 'Build/Evolve' by point/talent allocation.
- Experience based leveling?
- Spell/ability variety?

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Other side are actually pretty engaged and willing to talk both on their forums and in their KS comments. Because if it, I can't think of any questions to ask that they haven't addressed in some way But I will try.

Can they comment on the planned size of the abyss? Do they have any thoughts on the length of the game?

Zombra

Patron
Stephen Russell's announced inclusion brings up questions about voice acting.

Will all dialogue be fully voiced?

How much dialogue will there be in the game, say compared to past Underworld games?

Will the PC be fully voiced? Will there be voice options to choose from besides male/female? Perhaps pitch options as in Saints Row 4?

Multi-headed Cow

Stephen Russell's announced inclusion
What? WHAT? DROP EVERYTHING, UNDERWORLD IS CALLED ASCENDANT BECAUSE YOU'RE A THIEF EXILED INTO A LONG LOST TOMB BURIED UNDER THE CITY LOOKING FOR TREASURE, AND THE TOMB TURNS OUT TO BE A SPACESHIP CONTROLLED BY AN EVIL AI AND YOU ACCIDENTALLY WAKE IT UP WITH A HORN THAT NEVER STOPS WAILING AND THUS THE TOMB ASCENDS FROM THE UNDERWORLD INTO THE STARS

ALL MY DREAMS ARE COMING TRUE AT ONCE OH GOD ITS HEAVAN

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Please ask about the magic system, it might be a small thing but I would love to know it

Zombra

Patron
How much garbage hauling will be in the game?

Oh good, those 4 goblins each carred a Rusty Dagger worth 2gp, Worn-Out Shoes worth 1gp, a Greasy Coat worth 4gp, and Old Chicken Bone worth 2 food units if boiled in water for 20 minutes. Better take all that back to the inconveniently located merchant.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stuff like that sucks for a packrat like me who tends to loot and sell everything. However, I've grown accustom to the notion that you aren't meant to lug around all the worldly possessions of every bandit and monster you run across. You have to be selective.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How much garbage hauling will be in the game?

Oh good, those 4 goblins each carred a Rusty Dagger worth 2gp, Worn-Out Shoes worth 1gp, a Greasy Coat worth 4gp, and Old Chicken Bone worth 2 food units if boiled in water for 20 minutes. Better take all that back to the inconveniently located merchant.

Merchants and buying/selling didn't play a big part in the original Underworld. There was no town hub you start out in with a centralized shop that you went back to every hour to do a "SELL ALL". You wandered the Abyss, found stuff, and bartered with scattered NPCs as you found them. You didn't even need currency.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's why it needs to be more a spiritual successor to Arx, the superior game.+M The vague descriptions they've given with factions makes it seem like there will, in fact, be settlements of some sort.

Zombra

Patron
Merchants and buying/selling didn't play a big part in the original Underworld. There was no town hub you start out in with a centralized shop that you went back to every hour to do a "SELL ALL". You wandered the Abyss, found stuff, and bartered with scattered NPCs as you found them. You didn't even need currency.
Awesome. I want to pick up a useful thing once in a while, and throw stuff away when I'm done with it, and be able to carry about 10 things and that's it. Anyway, I hope they keep on with the idiom established in earlier games then.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
...Arx, the superior game.+M

alice.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom