Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the trademark for Torment (but not Planescape)

Moribund

A droglike
Seems to make no sense to borrow PE code.

No sense? Really? You don't want the code for this in a Torment sequel?

I don't want it, no. Keep that shit away like it's antimatter. And using a background is probably pretty easy anyway, that's not something requiring access to Obsidian code.

DnD RTwP was bad enough. Off brand TRwP is likely to be a disaster. Even if it's not, why would I want it to use the same made up game system.

There's also the issue that having a inXile programmers work with Obsidian source code is probably a giant waste of time. Why build off of that when you can build off of what you already made and know? It seems to be highly wasteful and leads to copyright issues.

So I don't think that will happen anyway, it makes no sense to do that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Moribund
Copyright issues? Well, they're already using Obsidian's tools.

But yeah I forgot, you're a RTwP hater. Hate to disappoint you but it's almost certainly not gonna be turn-based either way.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Come on, you know it's not that simple. They need special code to support that stuff and all the effects they have planned. Adam talked about it in his interview with TotalBiscuit.

Yes. And what I was saying, perhaps wryly, was that that Eternity shot does not show any effects or anything. It's just a 2D mockup. Not to diss Obsidian, but showing a mockup and showing the game in action are two different things.

Anyway, yeah, lighting effects, collision mapping, maybe some tricks for rendering and polishing the 3D art into 2D, that kind of stuff. You can do some nifty stuff though a lot of it is fairly basic. But yes, if inXile chooses to do something similar, I really see no reason why they couldn't tap Obsidian for help and to share the work done so far. As far as I know that's what inXile is doing for Obsidian too, since inXile was already working with Unity for some time, as well as having integrated Obsidian's own tools into it, which helped give Obsidian a quick start, no doubt.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Infinitron, tell us again how we're overrun with TB games and how they're bad and people wanting them are absurd.

Moribund

A droglike
They should see how PE works out first anyway. And since it's not out I don't see how they can use their code. I guess we'll see.

Rake

Arcane
Infinitron, tell us again how we're overrun with TB games and how they're bad and people wanting them are absurd.

Most of as here prefer TB from RTwP.But we are not the only audience for this.It make sense if you try to cash in IE nostalgia to follow IE style of game. I'm prety sure many Black Isle fans had not problem with RTwP. Personally, i don't have a problem either way.For TB combat we'll have wasteland.

Dexter

Arcane
Come on, you know it's not that simple. They need special code to support that stuff and all the effects they have planned. Adam talked about it in his interview with TotalBiscuit.

Yes. And what I was saying, perhaps wryly, was that that Eternity shot does not show any effects or anything. It's just a 2D mockup. Not to diss Obsidian, but showing a mockup and showing the game in action are two different things.

Anyway, yeah, lighting effects, collision mapping, maybe some tricks for rendering and polishing the 3D art into 2D, that kind of stuff. You can do some nifty stuff though a lot of it is fairly basic. But yes, if inXile chooses to do something similar, I really see no reason why they couldn't tap Obsidian for help and to share the work done so far. As far as I know that's what inXile is doing for Obsidian too, since inXile was already working with Unity for some time, as well as having integrated Obsidian's own tools into it, which helped give Obsidian a quick start, no doubt.

Except... you know, when a "2D mockup", whatever that might be is exactly what you'll see in game with some animation layers over it. The only thing that would change "in action" would be characters rendered in 3D running over it and animation of certain things like water and possibly other stuff. Lighting effects, shadows and other shaders aren't applied post rendering, but pre-baked into the scene since it ain't a 3D game. xD

Mockup:
RAILWAY-STATION.jpg

Ingame-Äktschn:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I honestly have no idea whatsoever if they're thinking RTwP or TB, but personally, no matter which combat system it is, it should really be a narrative-heavy, combat-light experience, no? Combat in Torment never got so far as feeling like a drag to me because they just wasn't that much of it. RTwP is ok as long as you avoid endless rote dungeon slogs (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age: O)

Except... you know, when a "2D mockup", whatever that might be is exactly what you'll see in game with some animation layers over it. The only thing that would change "in action" would be characters rendered in 3D running over it and animation of certain things like water and possibly other stuff. Lighting effects, shadows and other rendering aren't applied post rendering since it ain't a 3D game. xD
Not exactly. As Brennecky explained to TotalBiscuit, the split between the 2D art and 3D effects aren't quite as absolute, they're doing things with stuff like shadows thrown by torches that are tricky, but essentially that's 3D effects. I don't think they're planning to just do static 2D maps and leave it at that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think Fargo should start a publishing company that publishers mid-budget RPGs from InExile and Obsidian. ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CMcC Brother None etc

I've been reading through lots of comment sections on the various sites that have reported about this. There are a lot of people out there who thought Project Eternity was the Torment spiritual successor! You should anticipate this. Some of these people are going to feel that this project is a scam.

Hormalakh

Magister
^ Call it Outerplay? Then get it sold to a French-Canadian by the name of Cerve? I don't think so. I'm waiting to see how things play out. I'm scared we'll have RPG-fatigue come 2015/2016.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
CMcC Brother None etc

I've been reading through lots of comment sections on the various sites that have reported about this. There are a lot of people out there who thought Project Eternity was the Torment spiritual successor! You should anticipate this. Some of these people are going to feel that this project is a scam.

If you're reading them all you may have noticed I'm all over the place. Like an infestation. The Many Brother Nones. Haha.

I'm seeing some of it but not that much, I wouldn't say a lot. It's already being clarified now, for them, a lot of them going "oh, but I thought...". I saw that back when PE happened, some people thought it was the spiritual sequel Chris promised. People can be careless with their money.

Not too concerned about people going "scam" though, things are already becoming more clear now and will only be clarified and detailed more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If you're reading them all you may have noticed I'm all over the place. Like an infestation. The Many Brother Nones. Haha.

I have. BTW, I'm updating that list of sites all the time, so keep checking if you want to spawn any more clones.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on it too. Seeing a lot of international interest too, German and Russian newsposts, but I'm not fluid enough in those to do much commentating.

How do you feel about the sites that mention the trademark but give 0 credit to the Codex, Infinitron? :flamesaw:perhaps?

Hormalakh

Magister
Hey @Kyle Orland, Usually it's proper procedure to mention the original source for your story. You know, like who you heard this from or where you read it? Like you know, saying that perhaps RPGcodex.net was the first to come out with this information. Do we throw away all that "journalistic integrity" out the window when it comes to video games or are you trying to say that you came up with the scoop?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...ks/?comments=1&post=23555689#comment-23555689

Fix'd

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh cool, I'll post over there to answer questions...oh wait, I was banned from the Escapist for questioning their journalism :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh cool, I'll post over there to answer questions...oh wait, I was banned from the Escapist for questioning their journalism :M

You've have to question it again - they confused Kevin Saunders with Colin McComb. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom