Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Throwdown: Why Two Worlds Fucking Rocks

Bruticis

madbringer said:
:lol:

But that's nothing compared to Parkan II, man. Check this drop of ambrosia out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAd27B8x-Aw

Ok, you win, no question. Two worlds has the 2nd worst voice acting and dialog of any game I've ever seen.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
nomask7 said:
Play fighter. The only really useful skills are lock-picking, improved criticals, and improved damage. I think the skills-system is crap and the skills uninteresting. Just don't pay much attention to it and you'll be fine.
Cool thanks.

MasPingon

Arcane
nomask7 said:
Play fighter. The only really useful skills are lock-picking, improved criticals, and improved damage. I think the skills-system is crap and the skills uninteresting. Just don't pay much attention to it and you'll be fine.

You must not pay attention to bad character development, VO, bad art direction, bad animations,bland landscape and this game will be fucking awsome

cutterjohn

Cipher
I liked it in the sense that I had FAR more fun with Two Worlds than I did with Oblivious. Still not sure about how I'd compare it with G3 though as I've started and stopped playing it several times while awaiting the final fan patch since it seems likee you NEED to start a new game every time to see all the fixes.

Two Worlds is an ARPG though, so its mechanics are a bit on the simplistic side plus with patch 1.2(?) they overgimped the item stacking which was really it's only truly neat feature.

It was more challenging than alot of other recent CRPGs and ARPGs. There are some areas where it is quite easy to have you char one-hit killed if you're not prepared, and other areas where you should be able to beat the mobs, but become overwhelmed if not careful.

It had decent graphics.

It had a halway workable modding system that, unfortunately, never took off.

Sure the dialog and voice acting weren't great and suffered, as usual, from eastern european attempts at translation to English from their native tongue, but it wasn't horrible as some make it out to be. I'd bet that it has more dialog than Oblivious does, and Oblivious had it's own problems with voice acting as in they chopped dialog and used FAR too few actors, plus the infamous beggar rumours option. To me dialog is more important than voice acting, and something like in Morrowind or Drakensang where only a few lines are spoken is fine as it allows for more lines of dialog.

No quest compass, although it does highlight areas on the map for you...

Magic was kind of limited and overall disappointing as was the alchemy system.

MP was tacked on late in development and never seems too much fun to me, not to mention the servers are down alot.

Lack of re-spawning NPCs was a poor design choice and/or should've been made a gameplay option, possibly with allowing users to set the delay between respawns.

Critical gamebreaking bugs that can allow the game to end in the firts few minutes of play. (I don't believe that they ever addressed this.

Still I've put about three times as many hours into as I did Oblivious and I still haven't finished it yet, but I'm somewhat of a completist and have been taking every quest that I stumble across as well as exploring almost every square inch of the game play area.

nomask7

Arcane
They should have removed all level-requirements. Now you have to be a high-level character to use high-level weapons and armor, which is stupid as always, as it decreases the amount of meaningful choices (meaningful in a loot-gathering game).

madbringer

Arcane
So i'm like 20 minutes in the game and i already can tell it's roughly six bajillion times better than Oblivious. Dunno what's some people beef with the animations and graphics, the first are okay and the latter are pretty good. Combat is hard, but i expected that coming into the game so it's cool, i enjoy the challenge. Seems it's all about proper timing anyway. I'm slightly bewildered with the lack of weapon specializations (or am i missing something), it seems a weird choice to just throw all weapons into one bag and go with that, but oh fucking well, it's better than grinding a skill ala Oblivion or DS.

Can't say the voice acting failed expectations either, it's, um, pretty bad. Pretty damn bad indeed, but still, not the very worst i've heard. How is it Slavs can't do a proper voiceover? FFS

Anyways, i'm fairly sure i'll be spending a lot of time with this game, it's exactly what i want, a sandbox game with a huge world, phat loot, a lot of challenge to it, and it doesn't suck huge Toddler balls.

Captain_Obvious

Scholar
What kind of faggots care so much about voice acting to stop playing it because of it? FFS
The game had a nice atmosphere, a workable story and factions, good towns and villages, and quests that, while meh, were still better than those in most RPGs we get lately. So obviously it was fun enough, much, much better than Oblivion, even loaded wih mods. That beeing said, the equipement system was very, very bad, and there was way too much loot, you even get lowly bandits that are otherwise naked wear nifty gloves, or trousers from the mighty DragonFuckers set and nothing else, and it obviously looks weird. The world was huge, but a lot of areas were just empty, especially in the later stages. Just trees and hills and the occasional encounter with the (same) bandits or gargoyles ever 5 minutes or so of running. The combat is a bad joke, avoid it like plague. Magic system was broken too, the summons were WTF, but it had an obviously overpowered drain life spell that shot green lightning, calling the ghosts of the ancients or sumfing, anyway i did damage and also healed. While the damage wasn`t that big, it was special and ignored resistances and defence. So I just used that from as soon as i could find the card till the end, and it worked like charm, even on the peultimate boss (the fag that transformed into a big demon) and the wussy paladins. Takes a while to take down the cyclops and demons, but at least you are safe, just running around in circles like that.
So in short, it was a game with many flaws, but if you`re not a retard that whines about unimportant things like voice acting and production values, it can, obviously, be fun.

denizsi

Arcane
I want to give this game the demo treatment but IIRC, the devs have intentionally "leaked" flawed, broken copies with performance issues and to torrent networks to fight the powah piracy (and then people bitched that the game was broken so nobody bought it and then the devs bitched about low sales due to piracy), so I don't want to risk playing one of those broken versions without even knowing it.

micmu said:
Does someone need a copy?? Box, map and everything intact.

I still got mine ... one of the worst games I ever actually bought thanks to some stupid impulse (or something). Only Dungeon Lords was my (significantly) worse purchase, I think.

Let me relieve of your burden and I won't even charge you for it. I'll even pay for shipping (crazy, I know).

madbringer

Arcane
Just get Dopeman's pre-installed version (and the patches to it) off of Pirate Bay, that's the one i got and it works fine (so far).

cutterjohn

Cipher
Captain_Obvious said:
What kind of faggots care so much about voice acting to stop playing it because of it? FFS
The game had a nice atmosphere, a workable story and factions, good towns and villages, and quests that, while meh, were still better than those in most RPGs we get lately. So obviously it was fun enough, much, much better than Oblivion, even loaded wih mods. That beeing said, the equipement system was very, very bad, and there was way too much loot, you even get lowly bandits that are otherwise naked wear nifty gloves, or trousers from the mighty DragonFuckers set and nothing else, and it obviously looks weird. The world was huge, but a lot of areas were just empty, especially in the later stages. Just trees and hills and the occasional encounter with the (same) bandits or gargoyles ever 5 minutes or so of running. The combat is a bad joke, avoid it like plague. Magic system was broken too, the summons were WTF, but it had an obviously overpowered drain life spell that shot green lightning, calling the ghosts of the ancients or sumfing, anyway i did damage and also healed. While the damage wasn`t that big, it was special and ignored resistances and defence. So I just used that from as soon as i could find the card till the end, and it worked like charm, even on the peultimate boss (the fag that transformed into a big demon) and the wussy paladins. Takes a while to take down the cyclops and demons, but at least you are safe, just running around in circles like that.
So in short, it was a game with many flaws, but if you`re not a retard that whines about unimportant things like voice acting and production values, it can, obviously, be fun.
I don't, but the cvoice acting has ALWAYS been a major criticism of Two Worlds. I actually find it to be kind of funny sometimes, and not too bad others.

As a matter of fact, I couldn't give a fuck about voice acting, as I mentioned something like Morrowind or Drakensang did would be fine with me, e.g. partial voicing or just a greeting or a few specific locations with full voice acting.

This reminds me of a thread that I was reading the other day where some fucktard was whinging about how not having full voice acting in Drakensang(IIRC) made it a bad game for the fucktard. Redding is teh hard, apparently, then again if the fucktard couldn't handle reading dialog I just wonder how it coped with the unusual DSA ruleset.

[EDIT]
@denizsi
You should be able to find it VERY cheaply in the bargain bins. Even the original copy is upgradeable completely to the latest patches and Steam and the like regulary have it on sale for less than $10. $5 last time IIRC, or was it less? (Didn't really pay attention because I already owned it.)
[/EDIT]

cutterjohn

Cipher
Not sure where the config file is. Best bet would be to ask on the actual Two Worlds forums or, maybe, Inside Two Worlds forums...

Deleted member 7219

Gothic 3 with the latest community patch beats TW quite easily. In Gothic 3 there is a wealth of player choice in how the story progresses. You can side with the orcs, the rebels, the hashishin, the druids or nobody in particular. I can't remember being given much of a choice in TW.

TW is fun, though, and very underrated.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
jaylittle said:
Of course a lot of this depends upon what type of RPG player you are. Its like what somebody was saying in another thread about "player skill vs. character skill". In traditional RPGs such as Wizardry, Bards Tale, Goldbox or even JRPGs like Final Fantasy one tells the character to do something and they do it. Whereas in games like Two Worlds it's just not that simple any more. A lot of the angst I see here is in regards to people struggling with that kind of change. Telling my character to attack the enemy isn't enough. One has to be actively involved with the action in an effort to insure that it will be successful.

What you're describing (character vs player skill), is one of the main features that (used to) distinguish an RPG from an ARPG. Unfortunately the line between the two is becoming more and more blurred, with most RPG's these days featuring ARPG style combat.

nomask7

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
I can't remember being given much of a choice in TW.
There's a lot of choice in which factions to support or undermine. You can even help the orcs rather than the Brotherhood, when you're supposed to find catapult parts, and there may be other such choices (with effects on the game world). You can also choose to not have anything to do with factions.

On the other hand, the main story doesn't have different paths, and has only two possible endings that you pick almost right at the end (only the last battle will be different). But it's a very non-intrusive main story. I don't think there's more than half an hour worth of story and travelling in it. The rest is finding the artifact pieces in whatever order you wish, acquiring them, and preparing for the final battle.

nomask7

Arcane
Acronyms are retarded anyway. I always try to avoid them.

Also, everyone who's playing Two Worlds; get the Two Worlds Control Panel, it's useful as fuck! You can even speed up the game to increase difficulty.

MetalCraze said:
Jaylittle wrote it like he plays MMORPG for the first time and haven't played better games at all.
What MMORPG is even half as good as single-player Two Worlds?

Is there any MMORPG that has an explorable area anywhere near the size of the game world of Two Worlds? The multiplayer areas in Two Worlds itself are tiny crap.

I haven't even mentioned quality yet.

MetalCraze

Arcane
nomask7 said:
Dungeons and Dragons Online. It's actually a better game than every shooter Codex calls RPG that came out in 2009-2010 put together. It's like a coop Diablo plus puzzles and stat checks.
(When we were playing it with the 'Dex last year we also were surprised that there are next-to-none teenage retards playing it with the majority of people being grown ups)

Is there any MMORPG that has an explorable area anywhere near the size of the game world of Two Worlds?
The game world in Lineage 2 is very huge. I'd say it's way bigger even than OFP/ArmA maps. But you asked the wrong question - the more correct is - "which world has more content per square meter". You can have a 100 sq. km copy pasted forest very easily - but there will be nothing to do in it.
That's why I'll say that Gothic games are a better example - maps aren't big, but every location counts.

nomask7

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
nomask7 said:
Dungeons and Dragons Online. It's actually a better game than every shooter Codex calls RPG that came out in 2009-2010 put together. It's like a coop Diablo plus puzzles and stat checks.
(When we were playing it with the 'Dex last year we also were surprised that there are next-to-none teenage retards playing it with the majority of people being grown ups)

Is there any MMORPG that has an explorable area anywhere near the size of the game world of Two Worlds?
The game world in Lineage 2 is very huge. I'd say it's way bigger even than OFP/ArmA maps. But you asked the wrong question - the more correct is - "which world has more content per square meter". You can have a 100 sq. km copy pasted forest very easily - but there will be nothing to do in it.
That's why I'll say that Gothic games are a better example - maps aren't big, but every location counts.
So how about size + quality of game world? 'Cuz that's what Two Worlds has, in single player. The whole question came to my mind after I tried playing the multiplayer areas as a single player game. They're so small it's like a completely different game. I couldn't stand it. I just have this feeling that's what most MMORPG's are like (partly due to bandwidth issues, perhaps).

madbringer

Arcane
I think Ultima Online had the biggest and most content-packed gameworld in any MMO i've ever seen. That game was fucking huge, man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom