Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Throwdown: Why Two Worlds Fucking Rocks

nomask7

Arcane
Died at lvl 15 again, this time while opening gates in the dungeons below Tharbakin to let rebels in through a secret cave entrance outside the city. FUUUuuuu-

foxfire29

Novice
I will try it again, get up the lvls a bit and see if I change my mind. I have played a few games though and sometimes its hard to get into them . I cant see me changing my mind but it has happened before with the occasional game

as an example:

Dwarf Fortress

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Damnit, I'm trying to figure out if I accidentally started the game on Easy or not. And I'm really too lazy to start over. I played a few months ago, and I had a hard-ass time in the beginning - it almost felt like Gothic. I remember the three bandits the horse owner guy wants you to kill, and they were really hard.

However, this playthrough, they were easy, but I also got some good loot in the beginning - the beater stick that does 50+ damage and Summon Octagon. I did have quite a bit of trouble with the Dwarf Commander in the Orda Mine and the Cyclops still one-shotted me, but I could take out Groms and Bandits and Bears with no sweat.

nomask7

Arcane
Hurry through the main story, then see if you can beat the game (final battle(s)). (I couldn't, on hard, when I tried to get through the story as fast as I could.)

Next time, start on hard, open the console with § (Enter should work as well), type "TwoWorldsCheats 1" (without the quotation marks), press Enter, open the console again, then type GameRate 50, press Enter, and try to become as high level as you can before dying (only save when you exit the game for increased motivation, as I did).

The day length is good if it's short, because various doors are locked at night and morning and who-knows-when. Still, if you want a longer day length, as I did after a while, create a text file in your Two Worlds directory, name it day, and add this line:

EC.SetDayLength 3840 70 205

Then, start the game, load your save game (or start a new game), enable cheats, open the console again, write "@day.txt", press enter.

The game speed and day length have to be changed only once, provided you save after changing them. But if you want to change the day length again, you have to always enable cheats first.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Thanks, I'll try those out if I get bored. But I recently ran into some pretty hard enemies so I'm okay now.

This is how you kill someone who one-shots you:

twoworlds20100615181816.png

nomask7

Arcane
Just watch? He can't kill a damn bear and a couple of (silver?) wolves? I guess if those are silver wolves, and that's a grizzly bear, then he might have some problems.

Monocause

Arcane
One thing that I'm not sure about after reading through this thread - is combat based on timing your clicks correctly and thus requiring at least some basic tactics (like in Risen) or is it really just like Diablo, relying on how quick can you break your LMB (or RMB, depending on whether you go melee or skills)?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
nomask7 said:
Just watch? He can't kill a damn bear and a couple of (silver?) wolves? I guess if those are silver wolves, and that's a grizzly bear, then he might have some problems.
I think it was a grizzly bear. I already forgot, even though it was like 15 minutes ago. :lol: He might've gotten chain knocked-down, though.

Mono: It's more like Risen but it's a lot easier. Manually dodging out of the way does help (a lot, actually) but blocking with the shield is a passive dice roll.

nomask7

Arcane
Monocause said:
One thing that I'm not sure about after reading through this thread - is combat based on timing your clicks correctly and thus requiring at least some basic tactics (like in Risen) or is it really just like Diablo, relying on how quick can you break your LMB?
It's based on timing, but not to the extent that Gothic is. In Gothic, you have to time your clicks or the combo breaks, and you have to time your attacks and movements to avoid enemy blows and to hit the enemy in the first place. Two Worlds has the latter kind of timing, lots and lots of it, which is why increasing the game speed makes it more challenging.

It also has some niceties, such as your attack percentage affecting if you can just slash at your enemy, or if he can easily retaliate. It has different stances (defensive, berserk, and normal), that determine whether your combos can be broken, etc.

nomask7

Arcane
It's by no means a good system though. Its biggest flaw is that you can dodge (back-jump) at any time. Doesn't matter if you're in the midde of a combo or just about to hit your enemy in the head with a two-handed hammer. Nothing really has weight in Two Worlds. There's not that feeling of having a real sword in your hands and having to keep a balanced stance. You want to jump backwards right after putting all your weight behind a strike? You can do so. No problem. So the timing needed is usually quite loose. It's so loose that you can play the game with triple speed without much problems.

madbringer

Arcane
The hardest thing to do is figuring out the attack patterns of enemies. After you get that down, it's basically just making sure to back off in time before you get hit. It gets a bit more difficult when you are facing a couple of opponents simultaneously, obviously you have to time each and every one of them in such case. Some enemies are really hard to keep track of though, like wolves and reapers, but the heavy hitters usually give obvious signs before they strike.

One general tip when facing a group of enemies - go for the casters and archers first. Especially casters. They can fuck you up if you get stuck trading blows with fighters. Archers may not seem like much at lower level, but as the game progresses, they go from nuisance to dangerous to deadly. And they run like fuck so it sometimes takes a while to get them unless you invested heavily in some offensive magic.

Funny thing i noticed, you get a nice protection bonus if all your armor pieces are from the same set. 555 gives around 1k.

Monocause

Arcane
And how does marksmanship work? Is it autotargeted and your CtH is determined by your skill like in Diablo, is the aim manual and damage mostly skill-based like in Gothic 3 or is it a mixture of these two like in Morrowind?

nomask7

Arcane
Reapers are the one enemy type I never go even near to if I can avoid it. My success ratio with them, when facing one single reaper, was about 50/50 in my first couple of playthroughs, so they're an absolute no-no in ironman games.

nomask7

Arcane
Monocause said:
And how does marksmanship work? Is it autotargeted and your CtH is determined by your skill like in Diablo, is the aim manual and damage mostly skill-based like in Gothic 3 or is it a mixture of these two like in Morrowind?
Aim is manual (spells are auto targeted); damage is skill and stat based, and dependent on how far you draw the bow.

madbringer said:
Funny thing i noticed, you get a nice protection bonus if all your armor pieces are from the same set. 555 gives around 1k.
Cool. If I knew that, I had forgotten it. Another thing to take into account in my next ironman game.

Mangoose said:
Aim is manual (spells are auto targeted); damage is skill and stat based, and dependent on how far you draw the bow.
Actually there are options to make either one auto or manually targeted.
Oh. Good.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Actually there are options to make either one auto or manually targeted.

Mortmal

Arcane
Really i say it with no hostility, if you really like those kind of games i dont see any point into sticking with PC gaming, if you enjoy action rpgs, theres much better things on consoles, zeldas for example or monster hunter 3 i am playing atm. A wii action rpg being more hardcore than this..

Mortmal

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Zelda is nothing like this, and I'd play Monster Hunter if I had a Wii.
Ah you cant play monster hunter.. you are missing sooo much, so much...the frustration must be unbearable. Poor you, i am sure your keyboard is flooded by tears of frustration.
Free roaming in breathtaking 3D environments , huge hunting grounds, the thrill of killing huge dinosaurs or even be hunted by them , in one of the side missions while trying to get dinosaurs bowels the main boss was actually hunting for preys and you could only run and dodge it.
Epic fights with various weapons you can customize with hundreds of possiblities . Ton of stuff to discover, secret places, and its quite oldschool, you even have to lit a torch to explore grottos, cook and eat food,you even need to manually cook the food yourself , not only that but the cooking time matters, that console arpg is deeper than lot of PC stuff.
Did i mention theres day and night cyles , weather, seasons , and submarine exploration ?
One fantastic game i wish i had bought immediately.

kris

Arcane
jaylittle said:
Anyway - let's have a throwdown. Everybody who talked shit about this game, drag your lazy cunt asses in here and defend yourselves. Because as far as I can tell, you are all 100% completely full of shit.

It is pretty boring. I clocked some four hours or something, got a bit motion sickness on the horse and then never started the game again.

madbringer

Arcane
Mortmal said:
Mangoose said:
Zelda is nothing like this, and I'd play Monster Hunter if I had a Wii.
Ah you cant play monster hunter.. you are missing sooo much, so much...the frustration must be unbearable. Poor you, i am sure your keyboard is flooded by tears of frustration.
Free roaming in breathtaking 3D environments , huge hunting grounds, the thrill of killing huge dinosaurs or even be hunted by them , in one of the side missions while trying to get dinosaurs bowels the main boss was actually hunting for preys and you could only run and dodge it.
Epic fights with various weapons you can customize with hundreds of possiblities . Ton of stuff to discover, secret places, and its quite oldschool, you even have to lit a torch to explore grottos, cook and eat food,you even need to manually cook the food yourself , not only that but the cooking time matters, that console arpg is deeper than lot of PC stuff.
Did i mention theres day and night cyles , weather, seasons , and submarine exploration ?
One fantastic game i wish i had bought immediately.

And yet i'd still play Two Worlds over it, myself. You know why?

monster-hunter-tri-game.jpg

nomask7

Arcane
Mortmal said:
Really i say it with no hostility, if you really like those kind of games i dont see any point into sticking with PC gaming, if you enjoy action rpgs, theres much better things on consoles, zeldas for example or monster hunter 3 i am playing atm. A wii action rpg being more hardcore than this..
You mean games like Diablo? Yeah, I guess that was ported to consoles at some point. I recall a Playstation version, though never played it myself.

Mentioning Zelda just means you have no clue what you're talking about.

Mortmal

Arcane
madbringer said:
And yet i'd still play Two Worlds over it, myself. You know why?

monster-hunter-tri-game.jpg

I know the oversized weapons , cute boys and nya nya anime style, well its not a surprise its coming from japan and therefore is aimed toward female players .But if you get past the style you get something more entertaining than a mediocre western action rpg .
But dont get started on weapon not being realistic, nothing is realistic in fantasy ever, you are fighting dinosaurs for a starter so the weapon inst the most unrealistic feature.
Almost no western rpg are realistic when it comes to weapons and combat, theres no fatigue , try waving around a simple shortsword to see how tiring it becomes quickly, no crippling wounds ,no mutilations. Combat is always summed up to two button smashing .
I wish we could see more games inspired by runequest or gurps system, but is always D&D model when it comes to fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom