Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex was buck broken by gay bear. Ass all open, head empty.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
As in the title. For some time now, I've noticed that any discussion of bigger cRPGs released in the last couple of years(nearly a decade really) ends up with everyone proclaiming how shit they are and how they really can't match to masterpieces like KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins. Somehow, people happened to forget how the whole cRPG "market" looked like after the deserved death of Troika and move of Bioware towards console games.
I want to remind you the period between 2004 and 2014 and set it against 2014-2019 - yes, I'm giving a massive handicap to the newer releases.
So between January 2004 and January 2014 if you were on the market looking for something resembling the IE games/Fallout and I'll be very liberal. I only care about isometric point of view and tactical combat(RT or TB doesn't matter) and I'll be much more agnostic in the first period. Anyway enough talking. I filter out super small games and vogelware because Vogel releases a game yearly so it really evens out no matter what you do, we don't need more clutter to make this point.

In the first period we have:
NWN2 with the expacs
1st Expac
2nd Expac
1st Drakensang Game
2nd Drakensang game
Dragon Age 1
Dragon Age 2
Knights of the Chalice
Shadowrun Returns
Aarklash Legacy
Expeditions:Conquistador

And that's about it. As you can see I've included some games that I guess some of you would include as part of a sort of cRPG renaissance(the last 3 positions released in 2013) so the real stink isn't felt there. Let's go for the 2nd period.
Divinity: Original Sin
Wasteland 2
Underrail
The Age of Decadence
Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny
Divinity:OS2
Tower of Time
Torment:whaever
PoE2
Pathfinder Kangmaker

Now I did a lot to pad the releases in the earlier period, I hope you can see that. The latter one had games like Blackguards or Sword Coast Legends or Expeditions Vikings etc. but I've decided to be nice and not include it, had they been 2013 releases I would've counted them on previous list. What I want to say by this listing is that somehow, with heavy handicap the latter period produced much more of the kind of RPGs that Codex is generally interested in. Now obviously an argument about quality vs. quantity can be raised, but it's not like Drakensang is a high bar. What this listing isn't showing is that RPGs as a genre were certainly very alive in that period, many very era-defining games were released in that period. Ask any normie you want, he'll be able to list masterpieces such as Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, The Witcher(2?) yadda yadda. This is a period where all studios had major difficulties finding money for making anything that didn't have action combat, when everyone was proclaiming turn based combat as an artifact of a begone era etc. etc. There is a reason it's dubbed the decline and renaissance is also being postulated as coming at the end of it.

The few games that were released back then have built up some legendarily reputation while the latter titles(as well as those between the end of 2018 and today) are more likely to be derided and you have to be clinically insane. Dragon Age:Origins for instance is a game with 3 classes, where 2 of these classes play exactly the same and the game offers very limited amount of combat options, its combat system is based on cooldowns etc. etc. and yet it will get more praises for combat than Deadfire in spite of the fact that both from system, gameplay and design perspective it's just better at every single point of it. I won't go on about the claims that KOTOR had better combat than PoE2, because this is just Alzheimer tier

People pretend have somehow forgotten approximately 25 years of execs, journalists, analytics, developers etc. saying that turn based combat is dead. You can't sell turn based game. Then there comes Baldurs Gate 3, it takes 5E and implements it relatively faithfully(remember Sword Coast Legends - Hasbro execs probably thought that that was the way for videogame adaptations to go) implements a turn based combat system that maybe isn't a challenge for someone who ate his teeth at RPGs but then again very few games are. I know the kinds of people who NEVER play TB games and they've played this one and thought it's amazing. It is a proof that everything codex hivemind said since its inception was correct. What does Codex have to say about it then? You tell that yourself.

I am not great fan of Owlcat games, but aside from the fact that again, they've adapted Pathfinder PNP system relatively faitfully(apparently there's a huge stat bloat for enemies but I have no idea about Pathfinder) and to give them huge credit for something, they went for something that was always there in RPGs but was never realise and that was adding some degree of quasi-strategic overworld game. It's there because they've adapted preexisting modules that had these things in them, but that was always a direction that cRPG's could've expanded towards and that is worth mentioning already. What will they get on this forum though as of AD 2024? You've guessed it.
Hurka Durka it's because it's politics in my gaming
First of all, you are a disgusting, crazy leftists by the standard of 1200 AD Europe. I am a reactionary by the standards of 10000 BC when Sons of Tur fought Sons of Ari on the frostbound steppes of Hyperborea. We are not the same, there has been a lot of decline between me and you. On little bit more serious note this forum has shifted rightwards politically over the years - I've shifted too, far more than the average - and it's likely that it annoys me just like it annoys most of you(and trust me - more than most of you). Secondly as I've said in another thread this is sadly something you will have to live with because:
Modern videogame writers are people with literature degree from 4 years ago, and if you haven't been asleep for the last 100 years you know exactly what kind of person graduates with a degree in literature, fails as a writer for literature graduates, then fails as a genre fiction writer and then ends up writing for videogames or p&p RPG's - that person took all the racial/sexual agitation seriously, edit and expresses it with no subtlety end of edit there's no other way for them to survive university otherwise.
Now that being said a lot of the classics started having some subversive elements in them as soon as anything resembling full time writer showed up in them. Majority of devs were always liberal, you can almost bet they were atheists too. I think my fav example of this is Arcanum(terrible game btw), which, although it has some edgy content(Isle of Despair), frames industrialisation through the lens of at the very least a social democrat with orcs and half orcs being a racial allegory and so on. Unless you want to go mad or stop playing games and only come here to complain(in which case you're a bitch and should do something else with your life), then there really isn't any way around it than to just ignore writing all together and focus on the aspect where by all means the genre had recovered that is gameplay which is by all means the better out of the two.

The problem is that this wasn't a thing just couple of years ago, outside of general Pillars of Eternity well... scepticism after it mindbroke a bunch of people in here. However, while people complained about things like armour system in Divinity:OS2 you could still see they've enjoyed it, same went for pathfinder etc. You've had people just approaching all this like reasonable. So what happened that broke codex hivemind? I cannot imagine anything than a psychic effect of the bear sex marketing stunt for BG3. It must have caused you to materialise him during sleep and as his cock entered your orifices your minds escaped the dreamland to never come back. Convince me it's not the case because I don't see anything else, other than this place turning into circlejerk where we have a procession of generations crying old good new bad except in 2010 "old" was 1998 and in 2024 it was 2008. I don't believe in the latter so I'll stay with the psychic bear sex hypothesis.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So what happened that broke codex hivemind?

People have been telling you, you ignore it. Easy as that. There are three types of people here, 1. Those that embrace Insanity (not politics, insanity) 2. Those who doesn't want (or is incapable, maybe by having a thicker skin even) to see what it is affecting and 3. those who are unwilling to support this or shut up.

It has been encroaching evermore in the last few years and the more it happens, the less enjoyable it becomes. I'm not sure which type of person you are but I don't understand how people are pointing to it for years now and people still pretend it isn't there.

EDIT: also sorry, this is going to be it in this thread for me, I am satiated for a while for longform discussions on the topic. I also feel everything has been said to some extent

notpl

Arbiter
It doesn't really seem like the codex hivemind is that broken up about it, since BG3 still placed second in the GOTY poll. Yeah it had slightly more reactionary 1/5 votes from people who didn't play it than is usual, but it's a small forum - if you only have a couple hundred active posters, 20 demented retards constitute a significant bloc.

Modron

Arcane
It had slightly more 5/5 votes from people who didn't play it than usual as well.

Edit for citation needed, just look that distribution of ratings bg3 got compared to any other game and then look even closer at how many 0 post alts gave it a 5/5:
HP1cvbz.png

Last edited:

ropetight

Savant
Only hivemind that is broken are those convinced into dogma that BG3 is the second coming of Gold Box, Infinity Engine or whatever.
And no one in their right mind could possibly dislike their 5e messiah.
Such is sad state of their brokeness that they still make threads trying to find some new angle that will reaffirm their belief.

There was enough people that disliked BG3 to not make it GOTY.
Cope with it.

Mortmal

Arcane
It doesn't really seem like the codex hivemind is that broken up about it, since BG3 still placed second in the GOTY poll. Yeah it had slightly more reactionary 1/5 votes from people who didn't play it than is usual, but it's a small forum - if you only have a couple hundred active posters, 20 demented retards constitute a significant bloc.

It's more like 40+ now, and not only here. Larian is getting death threats about mod support now, and some nutjobs even reached their LinkedIn. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of them are on this board, and it will end up with police knocking on DU's door again.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I ask again, i did it in another thread. How many demented retards voted 5/5 for BG3? Without playing it, because they hoped for glorious butthurt or were doing so preemptively against the 1/5? Why you assume that only 1/5 are result of that and 5/5 not? What proof do you have?

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's more like 40+ now, and not only here. Larian is getting death threats about mod support now, and some nutjobs even reached their LinkedIn. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of them are on this board, and it will end up with police knocking on DU's door again.
mean words? on the internet!?!?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
NWN2 with the expacs
1st Expac
2nd Expac
1st Drakensang Game
2nd Drakensang game
Dragon Age 1
Dragon Age 2
Knights of the Chalice
Shadowrun Returns
Aarklash Legacy

And that's about it. As you can see I've included some games that I guess some of you would include as part of a sort of cRPG renaissance(the last 3 positions released in 2013) so the real stink isn't felt there. Let's go for the 2nd period.
Wasteland 2
Underrail
The Age of Decadence
Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny
Tower of Time
PoE2
Pathfinder Kangmaker
You have terrible taste in CRPGs. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

raeven

Educated
As in the title. For some time now, I've noticed that any discussion of bigger cRPGs released in the last couple of years(nearly a decade really) ends up with everyone proclaiming how shit they are and how they really can't match to masterpieces like KOTOR2, Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins. Somehow, people happened to forget how the whole cRPG "market" looked like after the deserved death of Troika and move of Bioware towards console games.
I want to remind you the period between 2004 and 2014 and set it against 2014-2019 - yes, I'm giving a massive handicap to the newer releases.
So between January 2004 and January 2014 if you were on the market looking for something resembling the IE games/Fallout and I'll be very liberal. I only care about isometric point of view and tactical combat(RT or TB doesn't matter) and I'll be much more agnostic in the first period. Anyway enough talking. I filter out super small games and vogelware because Vogel releases a game yearly so it really evens out no matter what you do, we don't need more clutter to make this point.

NWN2 with the expacs
1st Expac
2nd Expac
1st Drakensang Game
2nd Drakensang game
Dragon Age 1
Dragon Age 2
Knights of the Chalice
Shadowrun Returns
Aarklash Legacy

Wasteland 2
Underrail
The Age of Decadence
Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny
Tower of Time
PoE2
Pathfinder Kangmaker

Now I did a lot to pad the releases in the earlier period, I hope you can see that. The latter one had games like Blackguards or Sword Coast Legends or Expeditions Vikings etc. but I've decided to be nice and not include it, had they been 2013 releases I would've counted them on previous list. What I want to say by this listing is that somehow, with heavy handicap the latter period produced much more of the kind of RPGs that Codex is generally interested in. Now obviously an argument about quality vs. quantity can be raised, but it's not like Drakensang is a high bar. What this listing isn't showing is that RPGs as a genre were certainly very alive in that period, many very era-defining games were released in that period. Ask any normie you want, he'll be able to list masterpieces such as Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, The Witcher(2?) yadda yadda. This is a period where all studios had major difficulties finding money for making anything that didn't have action combat, when everyone was proclaiming turn based combat as an artifact of a begone era etc. etc. There is a reason it's dubbed the decline and renaissance is also being postulated as coming at the end of it.

The few games that were released back then have built up some legendarily reputation while the latter titles(as well as those between the end of 2018 and today) are more likely to be derided and you have to be clinically insane. Dragon Age:Origins for instance is a game with 3 classes, where 2 of these classes play exactly the same and the game offers very limited amount of combat options, its combat system is based on cooldowns etc. etc. and yet it will get more praises for combat than Deadfire in spite of the fact that both from system, gameplay and design perspective it's just better at every single point of it. I won't go on about the claims that KOTOR had better combat than PoE2, because this is just Alzheimer tier

People pretend have somehow forgotten approximately 25 years of execs, journalists, analytics, developers etc. saying that turn based combat is dead. You can't sell turn based game. Then there comes Baldurs Gate 3, it takes 5E and implements it relatively faithfully(remember Sword Coast Legends - Hasbro execs probably thought that that was the way for videogame adaptations to go) implements a turn based combat system that maybe isn't a challenge for someone who ate his teeth at RPGs but then again very few games are. I know the kinds of people who NEVER play TB games and they've played this one and thought it's amazing. It is a proof that everything codex hivemind said since its inception was correct. What does Codex have to say about it then? You tell that yourself.

I am not great fan of Owlcat games, but aside from the fact that again, they've adapted Pathfinder PNP system relatively faitfully(apparently there's a huge stat bloat for enemies but I have no idea about Pathfinder) and to give them huge credit for something, they went for something that was always there in RPGs but was never realise and that was adding some degree of quasi-strategic overworld game. It's there because they've adapted preexisting modules that had these things in them, but that was always a direction that cRPG's could've expanded towards and that is worth mentioning already. What will they get on this forum though as of AD 2024? You've guessed it.
Hurka Durka it's because it's politics in my gaming
First of all, you are a disgusting, crazy leftists by the standard of 1200 AD Europe. I am a reactionary by the standards of 10000 BC when Sons of Tur fought Sons of Ari on the frostbound steppes of Hyperborea. We are not the same, there has been a lot of decline between me and you. On little bit more serious note this forum has shifted rightwards politically over the years - I've shifted too, far more than the average - and it's likely that it annoys me just like it annoys most of you(and trust me - more than most of you). Secondly as I've said in another thread this is sadly something you will have to live with because:
Modern videogame writers are people with literature degree from 4 years ago, and if you haven't been asleep for the last 100 years you know exactly what kind of person graduates with a degree in literature, fails as a writer for literature graduates, then fails as a genre fiction writer and then ends up writing for videogames or p&p RPG's - that person took all the racial/sexual agitation seriously, edit and expresses it with no subtlety end of edit there's no other way for them to survive university otherwise.
Now that being said a lot of the classics started having some subversive elements in them as soon as anything resembling full time writer showed up in them. Majority of devs were always liberal, you can almost bet they were atheists too. I think my fav example of this is Arcanum(terrible game btw), which, although it has some edgy content(Isle of Despair), frames industrialisation through the lens of at the very least a social democrat with orcs and half orcs being a racial allegory and so on. Unless you want to go mad or stop playing games and only come here to complain(in which case you're a bitch and should do something else with your life), then there really isn't any way around it than to just ignore writing all together and focus on the aspect where by all means the genre had recovered that is gameplay which is by all means the better out of the two.

The problem is that this wasn't a thing just couple of years ago, outside of general Pillars of Eternity well... scepticism after it mindbroke a bunch of people in here. However, while people complained about things like armour system in Divinity:OS2 you could still see they've enjoyed it, same went for pathfinder etc. You've had people just approaching all this like reasonable. So what happened that broke codex hivemind? I cannot imagine anything than a psychic effect of the bear sex marketing stunt for BG3. It must have caused you to materialise him during sleep and as his cock entered your orifices your minds escaped the dreamland to never come back. Convince me it's not the case because I don't see anything else, other than this place turning into circlejerk where we have a procession of generations crying old good new bad except in 2010 "old" was 1998 and in 2024 it was 2008. I don't believe in the latter so I'll stay with the psychic bear sex hypothesis.

Y'know, other than the whole "most vidya game writers being failed authors" point, I pretty much agree with you 100%. This place has become a cesspool of seething instead of a place for passionate fans of traditional RPGs to gather and discuss. I mean it was always edgy but at least there was reasoning there. I still remember the VD interview with RPS after they mocked the very existence of turn based games. Dark times, indeed.

Anyone who claims that Arcanum is somehow vastly ideologically different than BG3 is delusional. Although I'll concede that Arcanum has far better writing.

rojay

Scholar
Baldur's Gate 3.
I don't even remember my original account, but I know I left this place 15 years ago and when I came back had to re-register. I left because nobody had any interest in talking about games and the same dozen or so posters dominated every thread.

I came back because I was bored and that brings me to the recommendation: Use the ignore function. You can always take people off of it and you can choose to show ignored content in any thread if you get that feeling you're missing what some random internet bigot thinks about the latest patch in the Rogue Trader game.

There's still a very vocal minority here of complete twats posting like they get paid to argue on the internet. Ignore them when you come across them and things are much more pleasant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom