Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

I've also been quite busy. Don't really have much to show for it yet, but I have sprites coming along nicely. Scrapped and remade them a few times and now the scale is ok.

I'm starting to realize that if something is ever to come out of this I am going to need to bring in some other people at some point, but I want to have something real to show before I attempt to go down that road (such as a design document and some basic alpha gameplay, perhaps also some funds).

Regarding the tiles shown before, I'm going to have to remake them, as the document in which I wrote down the procedure of making them has been lost and I simply can't recreate some of the effects I used from memory (so I can't make more of them). No matter. New ones will be made shortly. Perhaps I should show something. Here's a small slime creature sprite:

jKd73.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Approaching putting Monsterland on Desura. Except, I got digestion problems and everything ground to a halt. Desura's founder responded to my first Email enthusiastically and then nothing for over a week.

I'm sure he's just very busy. Ah well, I still got some voice lines to process and menues to make...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
nice slime :)

updatan on warmaiden of boobs
wurpaa.png
background boot looks like shit but so does a lot with this picture atm.
sword-arm will be resting on some sword or something while she leans on a tree.. like, recuperating. probably something like a shield near the tree as well.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Approaching putting Monsterland on Desura. Except, I got digestion problems and everything ground to a halt. Desura's founder responded to my first Email enthusiastically and then nothing for over a week.

I'm sure he's just very busy. Ah well, I still got some voice lines to process and menues to make...
It's not rude to email him again after a few more days. Go for it. Do you have plans to contact other distributors? GamersGate, Steam, GoG?

That is a really good palette, Zed. The shading on the boots in particular looks really good. As a boob scholar and enthusiast, I have to say those boobs are bonkers though. Those are like J cups. Not that I'm complaining, she's just going to have back issues later on.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Do you have plans to contact other distributors? GamersGate, Steam, GoG?

Yeah, but I want to do this when I have the launch trailer. Some stuff needs to be finalized before I can make the trailer... I just thought to start the conversation with Desura early... but maybe he, too, is waiting for the launch trailer now. In a very subtle, ignoring-the-emails sort of way.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
shihonage I hope the Desura thing works out. Would it be for a beta/alpha version? If you're looking for retail outlets, you might wanna hear with Gamersgate. They're swedes. You can always trust swedes. When I interviewed their CEO I got replies within 3 minutes. At 2-3 AM.

That is a really good palette, Zed. The shading on the boots in particular looks really good. As a boob scholar and enthusiast, I have to say those boobs are bonkers though. Those are like J cups. Not that I'm complaining, she's just going to have back issues later on.
bonkers honkers makes life go 'round
- wise sage

here's a shot of how it looks now. going all fantasy and shit on this one.
9527.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
shihonage I hope the Desura thing works out. Would it be for a beta/alpha version?

No, release version. Of course, Desura has a Steam-like patching process, which would be very beneficial for someone who's never done anything like this before. If I screw up somehow, I'd like for it to happen on Desura, where it can be fixed quickly.

If you're looking for retail outlets, you might wanna hear with Gamersgate. They're swedes. You can always trust swedes. When I interviewed their CEO I got replies within 3 minutes. At 2-3 AM.

I was gonna try them next. They don't have a standalone client - which is good for me as a gamer, but not good for me as a potential patch issuer...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
dude just don't release shit that needs patching :smug:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've been experimenting with some different render stuff and layering. A friend of mine also works on some sort of engine where different layers are possible and the Fallout critters are implemented as testing sprites.

asd8zla0.gif

If I find the time, I'll finish a desert level and a vault level (since I have the existing assets created anyway) as some sort of proof of concept Fallout Platformer. :P

OlivettiFever

Educated
Working on menus and a GUI, trying to get as much as possible nailed down and mocked up before I start anything too officially... I've got two menu designs I can't quite choose between. One I prefer visually, but the typefaces are stupid-large on a high-res monitor. The other conveys a hell of a lot more information but is a little less eye-catching. I'd love to hear what you all think.

Fallout placeholder graphics will obviously not persist past mockup stages.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I am expanding on my RPG Maker game significantly and will need some beta testers soon. Any Codexians want to pitch in?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been experimenting with some different render stuff and layering. A friend of mine also works on some sort of engine where different layers are possible and the Fallout critters are implemented as testing sprites.

asd8zla0.gif

If I find the time, I'll finish a desert level and a vault level (since I have the existing assets created anyway) as some sort of proof of concept Fallout Platformer. :P
Strange that the sprite works so well on that perspective.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
It would. I think the general state of the game is pretty decent right now but I'm adding some new mechanics to the game and I want to make sure everything is sound before I move on with the main quest and such. Anyway, if you want to do some testing just make an account on rpgmaker.net and shoot me a message (I'm hereisnowhy). I'll let you know when I have something ready.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
updatan
9528.png
I'm thinking this could be part of a splash screen/menu of some generic-as-shit fantasy game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Offer to Cleve your skill as a pixel artist.
dunno if I'm triple A enough for that sort of stuff.
but I'm happy with how much I've learned with this picture. tree, clouds, woman, metal, textures. really good practice. I'm not done but it's getting there.
9529.png

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Looks really nice, just a little bit of dithering in the gown and maybe less pillow shading.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah I'll do proper shading when I've determined hues
also replacing the "background mountain" and adding highlight on "foreground mountains". also adding something cool in the skies, dunno what yet.

EDIT:
old
9529.png

new (lots to do on the tree, still)
9530.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's infuriating to be so close. To the release of Monsterland and then hopefully resuming work on Shelter. Two weeks ago I got a fucking digestion problem and now it's gone but the oatmeal diet is not enough for my brain. Slowed everything to a crawl. And I'm still mostly on oatmeal. Motherfucker.

$*&#(*&$#

Also:

2ijqdyc.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
If you're in "slow mode", it may be a good idea to work on pre-promotional shit (or is that just promotional shit? whatever).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Monsterland is a sub-$5 game. I just want to get it to Gamersgate (as Desura hasn't replied in 2.5 weeks) and go from there. I don't have energy for anything else. If Gamersgate for some reason doesn't take it, I'll use Fastspring. I just need this chapter of my life closed. Badly.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
oh. I was under the impression that you wanted to make money, and that was the reason why you had to finish it before shelter.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
These days, all the PR you need is a Youtube personality playing your game and liking it. Or even just word-of-mouth. Whether that will happen, I don't know, but getting it on Gamersgate alone would be a major step forward. If the game's quality holds up, it will become visible. If not, then there's nothing I can do about it short of making a whole new game at this point.

If I understood the process better 2 years ago, instead of Monsterland I would've worked on an Oregon Trail clone set in cyberpunk universe (as Organ Trail is such a clone set in zombie universe). It would be much simpler, it would have a lot more "Youtube lulz" due to randomness, and it would not take 2 years to finish. Maybe more like 8 months.

I now understand the time investment vs. result formula much better. An indie game cannot have complex levels with scripting in them. It wastes a metric buttload of time. It all has to be procedural. Regression testing efforts have to be super-optimized, and that only can be achieved through the nature of the game itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom