Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
What about STEAM Greenlight and GOG?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
As I understand the game stands a better chance on Greenlight when people are already able to buy it from somewhere else or at least try a demo. When that happens, yes, I'd love for Monsterland to make it to Steam...

I didn't know GOG was in the cheap-indie-game selling business now... will have to look into that.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Remaking my game The Chronicles of Engea with much better graphics, more logically constructed gameworld, better writing, better mechanics, etc. Some screenshots:

dra3p0.png

2qlzx9v.png

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
yeah I'll do proper shading when I've determined hues
also replacing the "background mountain" and adding highlight on "foreground mountains". also adding something cool in the skies, dunno what yet.

EDIT:
old
9529.png

new (lots to do on the tree, still)
9530.png

cannot brofist this as i exist only to make DU rich by donating am new here, but i wanted to say that i like that a lot..that fungus on the tree won me over ^^
Memories from older a time. I hope you post more soon. Pics, not fungi.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Remaking my game The Chronicles of Engea with much better graphics, more logically constructed gameworld, better writing, better mechanics, etc. Some screenshots:

dra3p0.png

2qlzx9v.png

Hey, this looks quite good! I especially like the first pic, that monster looks deadly. Can you give more info? What's combat like? Any char gen? What is the character system like? Any screenshots of battle?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Combat is first person with character faces displayed. You have a choice of class at the beginning, but you play a set character named Joel. You can have up to 6 party members and they're all entirely optional.

Will post some more screenshots later. :brodex:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Where in Rysduun's name did you get those graphics?

'cuz they cool, yo.

Are you actually rendering isometric sprites by yourself?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I wish I had that kind of talent, but no.

I got them from here. I'm making this game in RPG Maker VX Ace, but when you change the god awful RTP to something more stylish (like those graphics) and apply some scripts you can make some fairly unique stuff with the engine.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Game vision statement of sorts I have written up. Should be very appealing to Codexers. :smug:

When I actually get to releasing the demo, that news will be on the game thread I've created.

"It is the year 738 of the Common Time in the Kingdom of Engea. A darkness has fallen over the land; demons, brought to the mortal plane by unknown forces, are causing fear and destruction wherever they appear."

The Chronicles of Engea is a traditional RPG that is heavily inspired by games such as Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven. Previously a game made with RPG Maker 2000, it is now being recreated and reimagined in RPG Maker VX Ace.

My aim for this project is to create a rich and atmospheric fantasy world that you are free to explore, as long as you are willing to accept the dangers of such exploration. I am also aiming for a well-told story line that branches based on the choices that you make, and a variety of side quests for you to complete along the way. There will be a significant amount of choice & consequence in the game as well; decisions that you make may have devastating, unforeseeable effects later on - or vice versa. You will be able to command a party of up to six characters who you can find throughout the game world, and choose from among ten classes to play as.

The Chronicles of Engea will have a minimalistic storyline that unfolds gradually as you play the game. It will not be immediately pointed out to you what you have to do or where you have to go; I am aiming for a more free-roaming approach, where figuring out what to do next is up to the player, and not up to the railroad guiding you in any one direction.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Name and gender are pretty straightforward. There are currently three backgrounds: Human, Transhuman and Cyborg. The latter two represent two very different answers to the question of “how will humanity change?”

Ok, it's official. These updates are written by a 13-year-old.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Dead Colony (formerly known as Monsterland) is done. I'm not doing shit to it anymore.

Emailed Desura guy, GamersGate and also FastSpring. Given Desura's quick turnaround time of 3 weeks per Email, I suspect the game will first show up on my own page using FastSpring.

The game is large for the kind of presentation it has - around 350mb. And the reason it's large is because I can't be bothered with compressing all audio to .OGG and then testing its performance impact, reliability and behavior of SDL's OGG-handling library. I really don't want to touch the game anymore. It never stops. The touching.

Marsal

Arcane
:salute: Are you the first Codex regular who managed to actually publish a game?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
No, Styg's already got his Underrail game on Desura, and there are likely others whose names escape me at the moment.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It is a full game, but it's not a CRPG, and it is merely 4 hours long.

I could stretch it to twice that, with filler levels and by depriving player of save-anywhere system, but... no.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I expect to use the eventual earnings to buy myself a burger, salted by the tears of mourning the 2.25 years of life wasted.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well you didn't exactly design Monsterland for the masses, did you?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
BEGIN LIVEJOURNAL

Dead Colony is out: http://www.desura.com/games/dead-colony

The only thing I expected from this, has already happened. I have finished a game in my garage. It is very primitive visually, but it is complete, from beginning to end, from the moment you get out of prison to the final boss fight. It also has stuff that will surprise people expecting just your generic platformer-pew-pew-my-first-game-experiment-thing.

____

With various reality checks and lessons that happened during this process, I learned enough not to expect anything other than a sense of completion.

However, I also came to conclusions as to how to make a game which DOES make money, and how to do it FAST.

From this point, I will be following one of these paths:

1) Use Dead Colony engine to create a "moneymaker" game in 2 months, then resume work on Shelter.
2) Resume work on Shelter and use a Kickstarter (hurr durr)
3) Resume work on Shelter now and sell alpha access on Desura
4) Abandon everything and try to get a life, with savings dwindling away. I'm 35, I should be married now, right? :foreveralone:
5) Look for a job in a gaming company, get assigned with animating Barbie's left boob, and then shoot myself.

Given how I have to get an inguinal hernia surgery sometime not too far from now, and my "good" health insurance disappeared, I may be inclined to follow path 1). Use the existing engine to create a "randomized lulzy adventure" sequel to Dead Colony similar to Organ Trail, but with vastly superior shooting mechanics already present in Dead Colony.

However, Shelter has always attracted a ton more attention, and if, 3), I follow Styg's footsteps (Underrail alpha on Desura), I could SELL Shelter alpha access not too far from now, gradually patching and adding more graphics, locations and quests.

This appeals to me a lot. I just don't know if it is financially feasible.

END OF LIVEJOURNAL

Rpgsaurus Rex

shihonage

I've watched this video 5 times now.

CHURCH OF THE GREAT A....? Atonement?

Who is Anna? Protagonist's daughter?

Around 0:50, what are the white "stars" - weapon particles?

Looks like your really put your soul to it. :salute:

Saduj

Arcane
However, Shelter has always attracted a ton more attention, and if, 3), I follow Styg's footsteps (Underrail alpha on Desura), I could SELL Shelter alpha access not too far from now, gradually patching and adding more graphics, locations and quests.

I'd buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom