Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Rule-based tilset editor: https://rxi.itch.io/tilekit

0jfMfV.gif

I don't know if this is better than defining rulefiles in Tiled, but looks neat.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

0jfMfV.gif

I don't know if this is better than defining rulefiles in Tiled, but looks neat.
There was a game I used to play on my Commodore 64 where you flew a helicopter around a cave full of stuff shooting at you. And you had bombs that could blow up targets under you, and guns or rockets or something that could blow up enemies in front of you. The maps weren't nearly as pretty as that floating island, but they had a similar aesthetic. Same with Indiana Jones on the C64. Man, that brings back memories.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah it looks nice, but IMO unless you need to make some HUGE map, these do not help much and even then they can make the design process harder when you want something specific. In smaller maps (which is basically most 2d tile-based stuff) you can do it either manually or using some simple rules where when you place a tile to replace it and/or adjacent tiles with something relevant.

IME placement tools like being able to quickly fill rectangles and circles with a placement probability setting, quick copy/paste of region, a replacement mode (where you replace one tile with another) and a tile lock mode (so any un/locked tiles are not replaced) are much more helpful than automatic placement.

The algorithm can be neat for randomly generated worlds though.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I added yet another feature to my world editor that i should have added years ago :-P.

Basically, previously when you edited any brush (geometry), even if you just moved stuff around, the lightmaps for that brush would be reset and become fullbright (or black, if you used the custom shader view). Now the editor tries to preserve the lightmaps across edits, even when the geometry itself changes considerably. Most of the time the lighting is wrong after the edit, but often you are making multiple relevant changes and it doesn't really matter until you do a full recalculation of the lightmaps - and even if it is wrong, it is usually close color-wise to the proper lightmap anyway and much better than resetting the lighting to fullbright.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Kinda looks like Hammer/Worldcraft.

Yes, that was the inspiration. Though when i started writing it (very first Runtime World was around 2008, though most of the current codebase started in 2011 - or at least that is as far as my version control goes, but the initial commit was already a working editor so perhaps i started it late 2010 or so) i got some ideas from other tools too, like 3D World Studio. But over time i added and modified its UI and features.

Though TBH the codebase is very clunky and when i wrote it i decided to make it an engine-agnostic tool (i used it with bespoke engines written in Java, C# and C and i know someone who wrote a JavaScript one at some point when i had the editor's source on my site) which complicates things both from the editor side and from the engine side (especially since they think of what is entities, world, etc differently and often i need to implement things twice).

I am toying with the idea (...and a bit of code) of making a new engine with integrated editor and a more modern UI but i'm not sure i want to waste all the effort i placed over the years on my current tools and code (sunk cost fallacy, etc :-P). Also i'm not really a fan of integrating tools and game engine from an architectural standpoint, but in practice it simplifies a lot of things and i guess if i'm the only programmer on the codebase anyway it wont be that much of an issue.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Anyone remember that guy who was making a game like Betrayal At Krondor? The game was impressive but I can't find the thread, did he take it down?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
So, i got tired of not doing the Android port, fixed the OpenGL backend glitches and released a new version of Post Apocalyptic Petra. I might resume the Android stuff at some point later.

Meanwhile, here is the latest version, 0.99h:
https://bad-sector.itch.io/post-apo...ngl-renderer-mousegamepad-controls-misc-fixes

This adds the aforementioned OpenGL renderer, support for mouse controls (mainly turning around, activating stuff, jumping and picking up stuff) and support for gamepads (really just xbox 360/one but it uses the generic joystick API so it should work with anything, though the button mapping might be weird).

Obligatory screenshot:
XyBu1P4.png

†Allyam†

Barely Literate
Hello Codex gentlemen (and ladies, if there is any). I hope you're having a nice day, and if not, I hope it gets better.

Finally, after a long time we decided to post in this wonderful site. In part because we forgot the password of the last two accounts we made; but mostly because we feel it was already time to do it. I feel happy to say that we are working on two role-playing videogames. The first one is quite modest in size and complexity, but respectable without a doubt. The second is the most ambitious and will naturally take more time and effort to move forward in it. Will take a little bit before both projects can be presented. However! Is good to be working on it, and also to tell you about all of this.

Greetings to you. And wish us luck!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hello Codex gentlemen (and ladies, if there is any). I hope you're having a nice day, and if not, I hope it gets better.

Finally, after a long time we decided to post in this wonderful site. In part because we forgot the password of the last two accounts we made; but mostly because we feel it was already time to do it. I feel happy to say that we are working on two role-playing videogames. The first one is quite modest in size and complexity, but respectable without a doubt. The second is the most ambitious and will naturally take more time and effort to move forward in it. Will take a little bit before both projects can be presented. However! Is good to be working on it, and also to tell you about all of this.

What were your last two accounts called?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer

You gonna tell us any more about the games?

†Allyam†

Barely Literate
What were your last two accounts called?

They were called just like this one. Quite literally! the first made was just Allyam and the second one ~Allyam~. You will see that the first one was made almost a year ago, with much anticipation, and now is lost. But it was nothing, a small thing in the way.

You gonna tell us any more about the games?

Of course. The first story to be told will take place in which can be described as a Steampunk ambient. A place in which both the sword and the pistol coexist. As I mentioned earlier, this one would have rather modest mechanics and would be more concentrated on the story. The second is the most ambitious project mechanically and in a few other aspects, it would also be fantasy, but reminiscent of a more medieval era, being considerably much more complex. The first should prepare the ground for us to make the latter one. Although we have already worked a lot, we will be giving everything to be able to advance more quickly and show the results, the plan is to finish the first by the end of this year, or even before it ends if our forces allow it. Even so, it will be an intense path, since we are only one author. Still, the hopes are that I can show something in a few days. No lies! Nothing grandiose, most probably, but something nonetheless.

Almost forgot, but both of them will belong to the Gothic fantasy genre, specifically.
An extra detail would be, is that both will be drawn by hand. Nothing modeled in 3rd dimension.

Codex Year of the Donut
Anyone know of any software to write non-linear stories with?
Plain text file doesn't really work too well for this.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Next enemy:
LargeDemon.gif

I made an ogre sprite sheet a long time ago. I don't like the ogre's arm movement as much as this guy's. I think I'll tweak the ogre's arms to match this guy so that they can share weapon sprites, and then I'll start cranking out some weapons.

Also, now that I see him in motion, I think I should adjust the side-view shoulder movement to give it more bounce.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Open source tilemap editor by the lead designer of Dead Cells.

https://deepnight.net/tools/led-2d-level-editor/

Why another editor?
LEd is based on my personal experience creating Dead Cells and making game jams.

My goal is to provide an editor that has all the important core features and to do them right, with a modern user interface/experience.

All features
  • Easy to use: modern UI with a strong focus on ease-of-use and quality-of-life features.
  • Universal and agnostic: compatible with all languages (not only Haxe) and game frameworks in the world
  • JSON: easy to parse file format for any game-engine out there (I promise it’s actually really easy). Haxe isn’t required.
  • Customizable layers: Integer grid layers, Tile layers and Entity layers support
  • Auto-layers: paint your collision map and see the grass, textures and all the small details being drawn automatically!
  • Entities: fully customizable Entity with custom properties (ex: you can have a “Mob” entity, with a “hitPoints” field, which is an Integer limited to [0,10] bounds).
  • Enums: you can define an enumeration (ex: an “ItemType” enum with “Money”, “Ammo”, “Gun” values) and use this enum in your entity custom fields.
  • External enums: enums can be imported and synced directly from Haxe source code files (HX file)!
  • HTML5: LEd is built around modern web standards.
  • Auto update: you get notified as soon as a stable update is released and it’s up to you to install it when you’re ready, with a single click.
  • LEd loves Haxe: a powerful Haxe API which gives you access to fully typed values from your levels. It avoids mistakes like mistyping, renaming or removals: you see errors during compilation, not at runtime. For example, having var p = new MyLedProject(), you can do things like p.all_levels.MyIntroLevel.all_enemies[0].f_hitPoints.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
And I drew this portrait today.
DemonLord.png

Any portrait artists here with some feedback? I think it's not awful. But it's nowhere as good as those Korean dudes on Artstation. Maybe one day I'll be able to sit down and do one digital painting a day for a few months and then I'll really kick ass at drawing. For now I have to keep splitting my attention among all of the other gamedev tasks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom