Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Destroid

Arcane
You didn't even get a TIGsource blogpost, so cold.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

It's long, but there's some really cool stuff in there, in particular about user interfaces for developing both media and code that are a more natural process.

That video should be creating a storm in the programming community.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I keep looking at games that Youtube commentators pick to try, and came to a very clear course of action. I stand behind the gameplay of Dead Colony. It's fun. However, not a single indie review site touched it with a ten-foot pole, because of the graphics.

It hasn't been reviewed ONCE.

So, my goal is a relaunch of the game with upgraded graphics. They will be upgraded to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

Ironically, an earlier port of this game already had enhanced multi-tile walls and realistic blood spatter graphics, but it was an alternate branch of the code - unsalvageable. I need to reintegrate that technology into the current renderer.

I will start with some textures I already have, but may actually end up buying them. Anyone know an affordable website to buy sprites? ;)

(expected reply: "what's a sprite, grandpa?")

How are sales doing? Are you getting more than one a day?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
if you want your game to get coverage, it will need style, not "better graphics". take that 4 color exploration game for instance. looks gorgeous but that's because of its use of color. I think even I could draw better *sprites*, but to manage a style like that is much harder.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Indeed, I am clueless regarding visual style. For instance, I can't tell if this rendition of "sand level" looks better than it did before, or whether it looks like a misplaced mishmash (ignoring the player char who needs to be radically redrawn):

35bvx4p.jpg

...and it's hard to discuss with an artist you can't talk person-to-person. I don't know any real artists IRL. The Shelter artist just happens to understand "Fallout" visual style, so we were mostly on the same page from the beginning, but even then it took weeks and weeks to REALLY get on the same page over the Internet.

Perhaps I should shift Dead Colony to pixel art style and have the guy below draw everything for me? I just want to have it look "together" and presentable so it gets taken seriously by a single reviewer...

http://fiverr.com/alex_pang/draw-a-retro-sprite-for-you

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Watching your gameplay video, I think a bigger problem than a consistent style is that it looks really confusing. Most of the time I can't tell what's going on. I don't know if this is helpful at all.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Watching your gameplay video, I think a bigger problem than a consistent style is that it looks really confusing. Most of the time I can't tell what's going on. I don't know if this is helpful at all.

It is useful, and this is part of the visual upgrade I am doing now. Too many things were abstracted, now everything will look "what it means" - blood will look like splatter on the ground, water will be a scrolling water texture, corresponding areas will have proper textures and large sprite props lying around (such as old TV screens in the prison).

Guess I'm just gonna proceed and see WTF happens as the end result.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
some practice art

bikini-troll 2 hot 4 school. portraits:
JqUvjna.png

ladies' body sprites:
zojUWkw.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
THAX man.
next up I'm gonna attempt to make a basic tileset of some sort.
my goal is to have a complete mock-up of a game screen.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
grass is shit to make. luckily, you can get lucky.

zhBsNyv.png

this, for instance, tiles very well. it's inspired by legend of mana (I think -- I don't know jrpg game titles), 32x tiles. the colors come from this painting, but I'm considering something a little greener.

also, plain color with some shitty circles makes for a nice "dirt" texture. I think I'll use this effect but to a greater extent to make some sort of non-grass background (for variation):
X4SSuCS.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
9tcnkz.jpg

2ecpssi.jpg

Preliminary new look for prison and spaceship levels. Still needs new player sprites, new doors and better "cutting off" of walls.

Also may still be changed for retro pixely look if the current artist makes something amazing.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think the new graphics call for a top-down character à la Alien Breed now...
whistling_smiley_by_Broni123.gif

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's not really a game, but I thought I'd share with you guys some screenshots of my procedural level generation apps that I've created for my master's thesis few months ago.

land3.png

land2.png

land1.png

dungeon1.png

dungeon2.png

dungeon3.png

dungeon4.png

tiagocc0

Arcane
Or maybe license it? It would really speed up the process of making games like this.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Or maybe license it? It would really speed up the process of making games like this.

I've actually been thinking about selling that dungeon-generator-thingy. Unity's got a great feature called the Asset Store, where you can sell your scripts, models, sounds... basically everything that helps other game developers and you get 70% cut out of the deal. I'd have to basically rewrite it first though, since I had a pretty tight schedule while working with it and my code ended up being pretty messy ;) . I'd also have to improve it a bit and integrate it with Unity UI to justify the price, but hell, I think it's worth the shot.

Destroid

Arcane
That dungeon generator is nice, would be great for roguelikes, which is especially relevant since more people are trying to make them with Unity and finding that there are few resources to assist them. There were a few Unity entries into this years 7drl challenge just a few weeks past, but not of them really amounted to much notable.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
work work
I have no idea what this is, don't ask
RH3pXJN.jpg

looks like this when running it. I don't know what it is. but I like my 3 color 32x tileset. well the walls are 3 colors. floor is 3 and shares 1 color with the walls. I like how the floor tiles.
lBLJ5Sf.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Which ones? Everything on the last page loads fine for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom