Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
If you decide to work on mobile games, don't forget to leave your brain in a cold storage before you start.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Speaking of Codexian Game Development questions, I would like to read opinions about an issue I have with the implementation of advancement tables. Say, for example that I have a table with the values of the Base Attack Bonus (BAB) for each level (check this example).

Currently, I implemented the table as an array, and I get the BAB using the level as index (level one is index one, level two is index two and so on), however I have the feeling that this is not right. I mean, I kinda think that using the level as index is somewhat dangerous and is just a plain bad technique.

What would you do to implement the table? Is the array thingie correct? Or is there a better (and safer) way? Maybe using an associative array? Discuss!!!

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I don't think it's wrong, because there's no significant alteration that's going to happen there. You're not going to suddenly "lose" BAB for level 4, or insert a level 2.5 between 2 and 3.

If this was a table of attributes like "strength" and "charisma" which you were addressing by numerical index values, that would cause problems later. But a simple list of levels? Unless I misunderstood what you said... shouldn't be a problem.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Yeah, the levels are obviously a series of integers from 1 to 20. Basically what I have is this:
Code:
int BoBProgression[21] = { 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 ... };

and then I just get the BoB using the level as index:
Code:
int currBoB =  BoBProgression[10]; // Getting the BoB for a level 10 Bard.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing 'wrong' it's that it's not externalized, if ever you want your game to be moddable (and if by some insane reason it is such a success people want to).
Watch out for behaviour at the boundaries. If you want unlimited levelling, then obviously, you want some kind of default, or formula for those cases.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Tables should work fine. Another approach would be functions that calculate BAB based on a formula, taking the level as an argument.
What I'm doing right now is using the array, but I query the values using a function. That way I can validate the input and throw an error or clamp the value if it is out of range.

The only thing 'wrong' it's that it's not externalized, if ever you want your game to be moddable (and if by some insane reason it is such a success people want to).
Watch out for behaviour at the boundaries. If you want unlimited levelling, then obviously, you want some kind of default, or formula for those cases.
I don't plan to make a full-fledged game, I know I can't. I'm just experimenting with a combat demo implementing the Pathfinder PRG. Anyways, I plan to extract all these kind of data to Lua files, but that would be at later stages.

With respect to the BAB table, as I said to Niektory I just moved the table to a function right now. If the thing gets more complicated I can change the internal implementation to make room for more rules or different behaviour.

My biggest hurdle right now is to conceptualize or design the skills and traits system. The rules for each skill or trait are sometimes very complicated and the dependence between sub-systems is huge. For example, just to calculate a dodge bonus in a battle, I need to check the race, class, selected skills, statuses, buffs, current experience, etc. etc. I just lack the skills to easily design something like that. :cry:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I look at the top-grossing (1-200) iPhone games and they are all horrifying garbage that I cannot fathom putting any effort behind. Jesus Christ. The toilet gamer generation is here.

... probably not the attitude I should have when it comes to mobile game development.
I was an indie, and I had to make a game to stay afloat, I would make an adventure game. But that's cuz I could draw the game myself and wouldn't have to buy shit, and also..uh.. make it myself. Entirely.
I would probably steal the story from somewhere though.
Play to your strengths, that's my motto (which I made up, just now).

It's not Sell Games = Profit.
It's Sell Games - Cost of Development = Profit.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
awww look at the little wombat/guinea pig thingy

OuYDHTK.png
QmfUXco.png
iggwQOM.png
sicLu5M.png
xU1Wf60.png
WrnyelT.png
XY6ZoIU.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
cba, it can't export as a gif.
I'm doing critters and animals for animation practice, and interface elements. but I'm always doing interface stuff.
here's a single line dialogue option button
tC5v9od.png

here's a bitmap font
e4IuVnP.png

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
What I have difficult when doing or, more exactly, attempting to make sprites and tiles, is the dittering of the shadows and the proportion of the bodies.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
if the sprite is less than 64x, you shouldn't even attempt to do anything proportionate.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Bros, looking at the option of exporting all the game classes, feats, skills, creatures, etc. to Lua files, now I have the option to go on either the Crusader Kings 2 rute (pure data, variables and text) or Civilization V (data and logic in the Lua files). What do you think that would be the best option for a RPG game? Currently I'm moving all the Pathfinder rules and tables to Lua files, and I also plan to use functions for the game logic, in Lua. In other words, implement all the game logic in Lua and just call the scripts from the engine. Thoughts?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I look at the top-grossing (1-200) iPhone games and they are all horrifying garbage that I cannot fathom putting any effort behind. Jesus Christ. The toilet gamer generation is here.

... probably not the attitude I should have when it comes to mobile game development.
Think about when people play games on their phones. It's for a few minutes when they're sitting on the can or waiting for the bus. They're not looking for anything that requires any kind of commitment or effort on their part.

I think if you want to make a good game, and you want to make money from it, make it for PC and get on Steam.

It will be really interesting to see what sales numbers look like from the kickstarters that come out in the next 18 months.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Just make some shitty physics-based puzzle game and sell skins or new enemies or weapons as addon. If the characters looks cute, it'll sell well.

Destroid

Arcane

It's long, but there's some really cool stuff in there, in particular about user interfaces for developing both media and code that are a more natural process.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I keep looking at games that Youtube commentators pick to try, and came to a very clear course of action. I stand behind the gameplay of Dead Colony. It's fun. However, not a single indie review site touched it with a ten-foot pole, because of the graphics.

It hasn't been reviewed ONCE.

So, my goal is a relaunch of the game with upgraded graphics. They will be upgraded to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

Ironically, an earlier port of this game already had enhanced multi-tile walls and realistic blood spatter graphics, but it was an alternate branch of the code - unsalvageable. I need to reintegrate that technology into the current renderer.

I will start with some textures I already have, but may actually end up buying them. Anyone know an affordable website to buy sprites? ;)

(expected reply: "what's a sprite, grandpa?")

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I depends what kind of sprites do you want. Hand painted? Pixel art? 3D renders?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I keep looking at games that Youtube commentators pick to try, and came to a very clear course of action. I stand behind the gameplay of Dead Colony. It's fun. However, not a single indie review site touched it with a ten-foot pole, because of the graphics.

It hasn't been reviewed ONCE.
Everything is shit.

Anyway, do you still plan the random adventure mode?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Anyway, do you still plan the random adventure mode?

I have a stub for it in there. It's sorta fun, in a throwaway sort of way. But not what's intended.

Random adventure mode may not be worth the effort until I expand the inventory system and items (which do exist, but are limited and disabled in campaign), for the game to resemble Terraria more. That is a huge undertaking and graphics facelift has to be the priority.

Not that I am working particularly hard. Between recovering from my health stuff and maintaining a positive outlook, I spend way too much time outdoors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom