Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
imgur was down for like 15 mins or something I think.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
dumb song

I've been experimenting with applying European C64 composition techniques to the Game Boy soundchip in my spare time. This is a remake of the song from Arkanoid. The European C64 scene was all about maximizing the amount of sound you could get out of 3 channels and they developed a lot of really interesting and advanced techniques. I discovered and had been using some of them on my own, but I'd never really made a concerted effort to apply most or all of them at one time. It is a very different but satisfying way of writing music for old chips.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Das Graphics.
Unity_2013_04_14_11_37_39_08.jpg

Mostly experimenting with Unity3d and various progs. Have some ideas for the games, but unless I get off my butt and find time to learn some coding...

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Half assed coder (me) is looking for half assed artist/modeler (or both) and maybe a half assed idea guy to help mess about in Unity and make a half assed tech demo of something resembling a half assed game.

I'll try to put in a couple hours a week in on code (I got a full time job programming boring finance stuff). Been messing with Unity but getting bored dropping in untextured cubes and making them do things on the screen.

I need some direction from a half assed idea guy and inspiration from a half assed artist and/or modeler.

Zep--
*half assed in not exactly a requirement.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I need some direction from a half assed idea guy and inspiration from a half assed artist and/or modeler.
Pinging crojipjip.

But seriously, have you considered contributing to an open source project? There are tons of them out there, you can likely find one that strikes your fancy.

Not ready to contribute to any open source.

Free crap art/models on Unity Store not really doing much for me.

Just want to create a simple scene or 2, with dialog/some inventory management/some gameplay just to dick around and learn the engine more.

Just something easy that won't take forever and have some fun learning.

Zep--

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Are you one of the Codexers determined to make the next big piece of vaporware? Use this thread to talk about your progress, what you're (not) working on, why your game is ruining your life, or whatever. If your game is so far along on its vaporware path that it already has its own thread, or even subforum, feel free to share progress/gripes/tips/whatever with the rest of us.

I always meant to post here so I'll finally man up and do it.

I've been working on that Sovereign thing, porting the Underworld engine from Game Maker 8.1 to Game Maker studio and it is a huge pain in the ass and it is taking forever. As I am basically rewritting everything in conformity with the new constraints (they are many, and I still discover new ones occasionally) I also improve things that I think needed improving. So far the game stretches to most resolutions, movement finally has both instant and fluid animation options, inventory is better and includes party inventory, portraits are in for characters, spell effects are almost done, character creation with skills and crafts is almost done, an untested content editor for quests is done, my map making utility is almost updated and I'm almost irrevocably crazy.

To better learn the new workings of studio, be better able to anticipate problems, and have something worthwhile to do to calm down from the rage enducing porting work I've also been working on a TBS game that should be good fun to play on a tablet but will still be PC compatible (one of the perks of GM studio is multi-platform). At this stage I only have terraforming done, so nothing much to show.

Like Shihonage i've had health issues to deal with. Fight club is doing wonders, but there's still a long road ahead.

Hopefully everything will be in place Q1 2014.

DakaSha

Arcane
I started working on a unity asset that ill eventually try to sell on the store for about 20 bucks (rectangle cells will be a free download). I'm actually fairly sure of finishing this for once.

not an exciting video but i think anybody who has tried to do something like this can understand how much of a timesaver it can be. Hexes in particular can be a bitch to code. Fun to code it though. Isometric tiles will be in the next bigger update. After some polish and some fluff ill decide whether to add it to the asset store or whether to add another category of features (which is what im leaning towards)

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Nice work DakaSha! Although, before selling it on the Asset Store, I'd first do a litle research to see how your product compares with others available on the market in terms of price, features, quality, ui integration etc. There's quite a lot of similar projects out there on the store, so you're probably going to face some tight competition.

In related news, I'm currently rewriting and improving my procedural dungeon generator. If I don't get bogged down by my job or my laziness, I might also be able to release it on the AS for a couple of bucks.

DakaSha

Arcane
Im not planning on making anything off of it. If i sell 5 copies ill consider it a success. Having said that i didnt find anything decent on the asset store(didnt look to hard though)

DakaSha

Arcane
lol well that IS ragespline. My product is not half as complex and even more importantly very niche. But whatever. If i make $70 bucks off of something i was gonna make for myself anyways then i wont complain.

Having said that I will probably add procedural generation options to this which will make it more stand out. Next semester is going to kick my ass though so im not sure i want to commit to that just yet

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Anyone taking part in the Ludum Dare this weekend?
No, the theme was shit. 'Minimalism'? Isn't any game made in 48 hours going to feature minimalism? I'd like to eventually do one eventually, but I wasn't feeling the theme and I had a busy weekend so maybe next time.

tiagocc0

Arcane
lol well that IS ragespline. My product is not half as complex and even more importantly very niche. But whatever. If i make $70 bucks off of something i was gonna make for myself anyways then i wont complain.

Having said that I will probably add procedural generation options to this which will make it more stand out. Next semester is going to kick my ass though so im not sure i want to commit to that just yet
Hey DakaSha, I saw your port of as3delaunay to haxe, is it done?
How does haxe works? Can I really port it to C++?

DakaSha

Arcane

I dont even know what happened to that code to be honest. There is a port out there somewhere but iirc (its been awhile) it leaves a lot to be desired.

HaXe is a language that can be compiled to a shitload of platforms. If it meets your needs its an amazing language. Its basically a 'better' and statically typed as3 in terms of syntax

tiagocc0

Arcane

I dont even know what happened to that code to be honest. There is a port out there somewhere but iirc (its been awhile) it leaves a lot to be desired.

HaXe is a language that can be compiled to a shitload of platforms. If it meets your needs its an amazing language. Its basically a 'better' and statically typed as3 in terms of syntax
I want to learn HaXe and Haskell, but it might be a while before I have time to do that.

I was interested in your code because it contained Amit's code, I'm planning on using the map generation up to this point:
biomes-noisy.png

And Amit's code is based on Nodename's code, this one I did find a port to C++ which I'm already using.
https://github.com/SirAnthony/cppdelaunay

DakaSha

Arcane
yeah thats the same reason i had gotten into as3delaunay.
I havent used haxe in a while though

DakaSha

Arcane
Do you have plans to make your game on HaXe or you have something else on your mind?

I dont really have a game im working on. there is no chance ill finish one so i just do conceptual shit and engine crap. HaXe is a good choice if you want to be able to release to a shitload of platforms including mobile and flash. If you do end up using it look into NME which is a library that makes shit even easier

tiagocc0

Arcane
Yeah, it's working already:
Voronoi2.png

It's the way I wanted for the starmap. Later I will try to port Amit's code to make the planet map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom