Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Preparing half mockup screens for the store page.

Screen1Web.jpg

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Seeing these outdoor areas of the game makes me more interested! That brings up another point with your trailer, you should definitely have a variation of areas so that people don't think the entire game takes place in dungeons!
I could have like a photo montage at the end of it.
I am preparing a half mock up of out doors area, to show more variations.
The screenshots will be in the store page.

There is no actual game yet, it is early in development.
I did plan to make it kind of like Lands of Lore, part of it.
So you could go back and forth areas, not just go down levels.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I rewrote the lightmap code hoping to make it faster. It isn't faster, but I know how to make it so by reducing the amount of draw calls. Disregard that, the shadow map was too big.

1692879749867.png

Before working any further on lighting, I'm going to write a batch sprite renderer that uses all texture indexes, rather than rebinding texture unit 0 all the time.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I mean, whats the engine written on, etc?
C++20/23, Magnum framework, imgui, nlohmann_json (to be replaced with a Lisp reader), sdl2, fmtlib. Got Github CI for running unit tests under xvfb.

If you want to see the code, send a PM (and don't share my repo or username).

RPK

Scholar

View attachment 40440
Do you make these game assets yourself, or do you buy/commission them?
I bought the assets myself.
Those are 3rd party assets, with a few tweaks I did myself and help I got from an artist, for things like animations and adjustments.
if you find yourself wanting to tweak or even make new animations, you should check this out. it's surprisingly easy to use and runs right in the unity editor. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/umotion-pro-animation-editor-95991 even a grognard like me who can barely get Blender to run can use it.

Last edited:

View attachment 40440
Those are 3rd party assets, with a few tweaks I did myself and help I got from an artist, for things like animations and adjustments.
if you find yourself wanting to tweak or even make new animations, you should check this out. it's surprisingly easy to use and runs right in the unity editor. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/umotion-pro-animation-editor-95991 even a grognard like me who can barely get Blender to run can use it.
Ah now thats useful. I only use Unity for image generation purposes like anim capture. Blender is too difficult for me so far.

RPK

Scholar

View attachment 40440
Ah now thats useful. I only use Unity for image generation purposes like anim capture. Blender is too difficult for me so far.
I really like it. you select (or create) a key frame and then use the standard unity manipulation tools like the rotate and move widgets to tell the tool where you want each joint to be at that time in the animation and voila, you're done.
obviously it takes a little time to make the animations not look like crap and your first few attempts WILL look like crap, but it's kind of fun to play around with and you can make acceptable results pretty quickly.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I really like it. you select (or create) a key frame and then use the standard unity manipulation tools like the rotate and move widgets to tell the tool where you want each joint to be at that time in the animation and voila, you're done.
obviously it takes a little time to make the animations not look like crap and your first few attempts WILL look like crap, but it's kind of fun to play around with and you can make acceptable results pretty quickly.
Can you bake that into sprites or export into Blender for that purpose?

RPK

Scholar
Can you bake that into sprites or export into Blender for that purpose?

Honestly, you're asking the wrong guy about sprite animation. I've only ever worked with FBX files - and I'm one of those, try it, fail and try it again until it works with anything that has to do with graphics and animations etc. I'm a coder.

The plug-in exports .anim or .fbx files, and I know blender can import fbx files just fine. After that, you can do your normal workflow, I would think, whatever that is.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
How about modeling in Wings 3D? That program is so simple even I can understand it.

I always learned by doing. If a program requires actually reading a manual, something's wrong with it.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Blender is not too hard for simple things.
But yea, it takes a little time to understand the UI, it's very different.
I had a few lessons at work from a guy who worked there.

RPK

Scholar
How about modeling in Wings 3D? That program is so simple even I can understand it.

I always learned by doing. If a program requires actually reading a manual, something's wrong with it.
Never heard of it, but it looks cool :)

Honestly, I have so much to do for my project that I just don't have the capacity to learn any 3d modeling software. There's too much work to do with coding systems, writing story etc. I've been fortunate enough to be able to commission a few 3d models here and there, but mostly I've had to get by with what I can get off of various asset stores and hope that any potential players won't hold that against me down the road when I get my game done in year xyz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom