Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Modron

Arcane

TheDarkUrge

Educated
They've had november as a release target for probably a year at this point, current description has been this for a couple months: https://store.steampowered.com/app/648410/Colony_Ship_A_PostEarth_Role_Playing_Game/

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?​

“We're looking at Nov 2023 right now. Here's what's left to do:

- The Bridge
- The endgame events”
BG3, colony ship, rogue trader all in ~4 months. Crazy year for CRPGs. Hope the latter two sell decently as well

agris

Arcane
Patron
I really wish the steam forums weren't so poor. You can see topics that have gotten posts since you last looked, but there doesn't seem to be a way to skip to first unread post.
click the letter icon to the left of the thread to jump to the first unread message

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hard truth: Colony Ship will fail commercially and will be Iron Tower's last game. Vault Dweller missed his window by not getting it out in 2022.

I'd love to be wrong.
You're probably right (I think VD has even said there's like 50% chance this will be ITS last game, although either way they'll have enough money for some post launch support), but I don't see why releasing in 22 would have been better?

Being crunched between soyberpunk dlc, spacerim, bg3 and rogue trader is not optimal, but there's always going to be AAA releases.

I still think it will be my rpgoty.

Efe

Erudite
Good luck on release
That said, I don't see much advertisement for the game. Are you doing anything for visibility?

Except for BG3, I don't think there's much overlap between fans of AoD and triple AAA crap. Not to mention BG3 is probably introducing a lot of people to turned based CRPGs.

As for myself, I pre-ordered CS ages ago and I couldn't care less about BG or Tardian. I assume there are others.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Good luck on release
That said, I don't see much advertisement for the game. Are you doing anything for visibility?
Not much we can do. The gaming media is still ignoring us, zero interest there. A PR agency (on a budget) can do two things: send a bunch of keys to the influencers and try to reach the gaming media (which we've already done when we launched on EA; sending more keys would be pointless, trying to reach the gaming media even more pointless). Thus all we can do is pray to Steam to smile upon us and grant us lowly peasants a bit of visibility.

So why not release the game in early 2024 after polishing it some more?
I don't think it would change anything.

Yes, Cyberpunk and Starfield are massive releases but I don't think that people playing Starfield on release would have bought Colony Ship on release. Different audiences. BG3 is closer to our audience, but I'm guessing that it's not for everyone and those who didn't like the game might be more willing to support our humble effort. Rogue Trader? Possibly, but we need 1% of their sales numbers to survive and make it to the next round, so it's not like we're fighting for the same customers.

just

Liturgist
yeah i agree
is there any big animal you can fuck on that ship?
drop it in the trailer
has to be male on male btw, so dont fuck it up

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Don't worry when the game releases I'll make some shill threads in the steam forum pages for starfield and bg3 and save the game

I dont know what the punishments from steam would be if a dev was caught doing it themselves, but astroturfing seems the best way to market these days.

thesecret1

Arcane
BG3 was a bore fest, Starfield looked too retarded to even bother pirating, Cybershit is a GTA clone and has exactly zero audience overlap, Broken Roads is a poor attempt at a joke, rogue trader is by Owlcat and there's, therefore, no reason to think it'll be anywhere above mediocre. Idk what you people are on about, the only deluge going on this year is a deluge of SHIT, with Colony Ship and a couple indie RPGs the only beacons of hope.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Is is an indie game charging 40 euro. Surely that is a scandal in itself.

Meh, still nothing compared to what Matrix Games is doing with pricing since forever.

Games also are a weird market where niche products are expected to be priced solely based on the budget the developer blew (mostly) on art assets, rather than according to basic laws of supply and demand. I remember someone making the same point in another thread about how absurd this is. Low-demand niche products that takes years of R&D to make are never cheap anywhere else.

Also for fucks sake, 40 euro is not that much after the last few years of inflation. And you could have bought it at half the price just after it went into EA.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Games also are a weird market where niche products are expected to be priced solely based on the budget the developer blew (mostly) on art assets, rather than according to basic laws of supply and demand
If that were true, digital-only games should cost 1 euro.

Shaki

Arbiter
Hard truth: Colony Ship will fail commercially and will be Iron Tower's last game. Vault Dweller missed his window by not getting it out in 2022.

I'd love to be wrong.
You trippin nigga, after the influx of normies thanks to BG3, now is the best time to release a turn based RPG, a lot of people might buy it who normally wouldn't even look at that type of game. If they released in 2022, literally a year before mainstream finally discovered the genre, THAT would be the biggest possible fail. Releasing close to big games, only negatively affect other big games, since they want to get full mainstream attention, but Colony Ship was never going to get that anyway, niche that was going to buy it, will buy it regardless of when it releases, and the only possible chance to get a crumb of attention from normies and journos, is hitting the post BG3 depression phase when they're desperately looking for a similar game to scratch the itch, which is NOW.

Shaki

Arbiter
You trippin nigga, after the influx of normies thanks to BG3, now is the best time to release a turn based RPG
you just need to up the tentacles
I mean, if after BG3's success, Vince didn't already add a few graphic sex scenes with robots and mutants, then he's trolling. He's literally one mutant fucking trailer away, from earning enough money to fully finance 10 next games he wants to make.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom